"i Did Not Realize It's Going To Be This Small"

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 7:53pm by cylstrial

Pebbles1727 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 38

I'm a little bumbed this afternoon. Last week a lady called and wanted a cake for her little boy. They were not doing a party and she just needed something "small" for her, her husband, and her 4 year old son. I told her that the smallest cake I can do is 6 inch. She said that's what she wanted. So I just dropped it off, she opens the box and goes: "oh it's much smaller than I expected." I did not know what to say, except for "well, that's 6 inch." Has this ever happened to you? Are people so used to supersized portions, that a 6 inch seems to be too small to feed 2 adults and a child? That really bumbed me out, especially since I thought the cake turned out rather cute, nothing extraordinary, just cute, but all she saw is the size of the cake. icon_cry.gif
LL

37 replies
Deb_ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 38

That's a great cake!!

Yup, I've had that happen. Especially with phone orders for all occasion cakes.

Your cake should have been plenty big enough for 2 adults and a 4 yr old to each have a big piece and then some.

Don't worry about it, the cake was adorable and I'm sure once they cut into it they realized it was plenty of cake.

ljdills Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 38

It drives me crazy. When someone comes in I will show them a 6 inch cake board, an 8 inch cake board and so on, but over the phone I always tell them 6 inches is like the size of a saucer or try to give them some example they can visualize.

TC123 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 38

The cake is absolutely ADORABLE!!! I love it! You did a fabulous job on it.

I think people sometimes don't really know what a 6" cake will turn out to be. Maybe that was just their initial surprise. Try not to be bummed about it. I think once they have time to admire it, they'll just LOVE it, too! And I have NO DOUBT that the birthday boy's enjoying it! icon_smile.gif

zoomzone Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 38

That's an adorable cake. Did she think 6in meant serving size??? icon_confused.gif

saap1204 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 38

That cake is adorable! It looks like you could easily feed 6-8 people with that (maybe more). I made a 6" square, one layer, and got 6 nice size servings from it (it was for my family). I like cake but I couldn't even eat a third of that. You did a wonderful job--don't let her get you down!

jammjenks Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 38

I think people are in such a sheet cake mentality that they are used to large surface areas. That same amount of batter in the shape of a 10X10X2 layer (just a guess that it would be the same amount of batter) would've probably yielded a different reaction from her. I get the same reaction sometimes...and I also catch myself thinking this way sometimes too. A 11X15X2 will look larger to most cake muggles than a 6" and 9" tiered cake, even if the batter amounts were the same.

CakeandDazzle Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 38

first off that cake is sooooo cute! second a 6 inch for 3 people!! and they are complaining!?!?! For me i tell people that serves 12 people!! not small at all!! great job!

Pebbles1727 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 38

Thanks you all for support. It's good to hear that others had similar experiences. I'll try not to let this bother me and once her little boy saw the cake, I hope it was worth it even if it was "too small."
Thanks again, P

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:43pm
post #10 of 38

Yes, 12 generous portions. I don't need to have any portion at all, but when I cut and serve, those slices are perfect...sometimes a little too much!

Mekenzie Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:50pm
post #11 of 38

Your cake is ADORABLE! Plenty for 3!
I just spent about 8 hours trying to find some cute designs (with monkies) for a gal who wants a birthday cake for twin boys. That includes the time looking for the designs, emailing them to her, then drawing up an original design and writing up a custon bid. I decided to add my time spent, so far, on her bill but with no charge for the time I spent so far. Now I'm thinking of adding the words "MY COSTS" at the bottom of the bid also.

MY COSTS

Ingredients
time
set up
clean up
electricity
gas (car)
expertise

I'm just thinking they really need to know what goes into a custom design and think about it so they don't say WHAT? That much for just cake!

Do you think any of that sounds tacky?
I haven't sent the bid yet?

mcaulir Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:51pm
post #12 of 38

I must admit that when I was first reading the forums here and saw people talking about a 6 inch cake, I had an 8 inch in my head because that's the smallest tin I had ever seen. You could definitely feed 3 people very comfortably from a 6 inch though!

LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:12pm
post #13 of 38

I guess thats the same for hairdressers when someone tells them to cut 2" & they do & the client has a fit, not really thinking they probably should have said a trim. 6" is 6"!

Deb_ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:40pm
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I guess thats the same for hairdressers when someone tells them to cut 2" & they do & the client has a fit, not really thinking they probably should have said a trim. 6" is 6"!

EXACTLY!! When someone sits in my chair and says take off 2 inches, I open my drawer and pull out my ruler. Most times they "rethink" what they've asked for...........can you tell I learned THIS too the hard way? icon_biggrin.gif Suddenly 2" turns out to be 1/2" to an inch. icon_rolleyes.gif

Whoever said "size doesn't matter" anyway? icon_lol.gif Maybe her DH has her thinking 6" is really more like 10"..........hehehehe!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:50pm
post #15 of 38

I feel your pain -- I had a lady who drove me nuts with sizing on the gilded monogram cake I did for her (in my pix.) She wanted a cake for a bridal shower for 50 people. But when we discussed cake sizes all I heard was "oh that won't be enough, I have to have a bigger size..." so she ends up with this cake for like 400 freakin people and had more than half left over (and yes, I did charge her for it!) So later she backs out of another order from me saying "you sold me too much cake last time, you should have told me!" icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif Like HELLLLOOOOOOO????? The lights are on but apparently NOBODY was home there! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:52pm
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

EXACTLY!! When someone sits in my chair and says take off 2 inches, I open my drawer and pull out my ruler. Most times they "rethink" what they've asked for...........can you tell I learned THIS too the hard way? icon_biggrin.gif Suddenly 2" turns out to be 1/2" to an inch. icon_rolleyes.gif

Whoever said "size doesn't matter" anyway? icon_lol.gif Maybe her DH has her thinking 6" is really more like 10"..........hehehehe!!!

Thats right Dkelly, your a hairdresses too! My hairdresser loves me, cause when I told her 6 inches, I meant 6 inches...and of course her eyes popped. When I said I want my hair super short like 2 inches long, that was really hard for her to swallow (She has seen my hair to me waist), but she also knew I ment it.

Rylan Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:56pm
post #17 of 38

That's a really cute cake, Pebbles.

I am not going to lie, I really hate the serving chart from Wilton. Coming from a family who is used to large slices of cakes, I expect most cakes to be bigger. I don't blame you though. She asked for a 6 inch so she should expect a 6 inch cake. That's her problem--but genereally a 6 inch cake is small. Period.

Pebbles1727 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:57pm
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Quote:

EXACTLY!! When someone sits in my chair and says take off 2 inches, I open my drawer and pull out my ruler. Most times they "rethink" what they've asked for...........can you tell I learned THIS too the hard way? Suddenly 2" turns out to be 1/2" to an inch.

That's too funny! Do people really do that? I never had that problem with a hairdresser. Maybe I'm just an odd duck out but when people talk measurements I'm pretty good imaging them spacially. It really made me feel better though-thank you so much! People in general are not good with measurements, and they need a visual guide to make "informed" decisions--got it! Will know next time!
Thanks again, P

JaimeAnn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:01am
post #19 of 38
Quote:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I am laughing so hard at that I am crying... My DH just asked what so funny....

HAHAHA "Nothing Dear!" *snicker* snicker* snicker*

indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:16am
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

Quote:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband says that the reason women can't get distance right (don't tell me to drive 400 ft! I have no freakin' idea how far 400 ft is!) is because they've always been told that "THIS.... (hold finger and thumb 2" apart) ..... is 6 inches!!"

Ruth0209 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:31am
post #21 of 38

I just snorted milk through my nose. You guys crack me up!!

woodruffbn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:26am
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

Quote:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't even catch that the first time I read it! WOOO now that's funny stuff!

JaimeAnn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:34am
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My husband says that the reason women can't get distance right (don't tell me to drive 400 ft! I have no freakin' idea how far 400 ft is!) is because they've always been told that "THIS.... (hold finger and thumb 2" apart) ..... is 6 inches!!"

OMG!!!! icon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_eek.gif

You guys need to stop before I pee my pants...

I am getting my husband a ruler for his birthday! hahhahaahahahahhah

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:37am
post #24 of 38

LMAO!!! You all are some funny but evil women, no names mentioned...(dkelly, indy, & JaimeAnn icon_wink.gif )!

Kitagrl Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:40am
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I feel your pain -- I had a lady who drove me nuts with sizing on the gilded monogram cake I did for her (in my pix.) She wanted a cake for a bridal shower for 50 people. But when we discussed cake sizes all I heard was "oh that won't be enough, I have to have a bigger size..." so she ends up with this cake for like 400 freakin people and had more than half left over (and yes, I did charge her for it!) So later she backs out of another order from me saying "you sold me too much cake last time, you should have told me!" icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif Like HELLLLOOOOOOO????? The lights are on but apparently NOBODY was home there! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

Oh brother. Can't win?! If she would have been a slice short, she'd have been upset too.

I always try to slightly overestimate cake servings when possible...I figure if someone complains about TOO MUCH cake, they are just spoiled rotten. haha.

aligotmatt Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:57am
post #26 of 38

I saw that title and thought, "that's what she said" lol And then reading it... I just knew it would go in this direction. I <3 you people!

Seriously though, I made a 6" for my brothers birthday for 8 of us, and we had 1/4 of the cake left over and nobody felt jipped. 4" tall 4 layers of cake, with 3 layers of filling is a good size piece of cake. don't stress about it!

Renaejrk Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:06am
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I saw that title and thought, "that's what she said"

That's what I was gonna say! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Magda_MI Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:07am
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I think people are in such a sheet cake mentality that they are used to large surface areas. That same amount of batter in the shape of a 10X10X2 layer (just a guess that it would be the same amount of batter) would've probably yielded a different reaction from her. I get the same reaction sometimes...and I also catch myself thinking this way sometimes too. A 11X15X2 will look larger to most cake muggles than a 6" and 9" tiered cake, even if the batter amounts were the same.

My thoughts exactly. People are used to seeing sheet cakes, or round cakes shorter than 4". So they tend to judge how much cake they have by the area of the top surface, rather than by the total volume of cake. So a 6" cake that's 4" tall will look smaller to them than an 8" cake that's 2" high, even though the 6" actually is more cake.

In fact, the taller sides of the cake may even make the top look smaller, proportionally speaking.

I'm betting that once they cut it, they realized that they had plenty of cake to eat.

indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:08am
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I saw that title and thought, "that's what she said" lol

Did you ever play the wedding shower game of writing down everything the bride says when she opens the gift and then reading them back as things she'll say on her wedding night? Such as ....

"Oh, I've never seen one of those!"
"Been wanting one of these for a long time!"
"I know JUST want to do with this!"
"GOsh, I've never seen one THIS big!"

Pebbles1727 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:15am
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Quote:

Whoever said "size doesn't matter" anyway? Maybe her DH has her thinking 6" is really more like 10"..........hehehehe!!!

That's just too funny! I could not come up with a come back a the time, but not sure that THIS one would have gone over well icon_lol.gif
I had no clue what to say, I was so suprized...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%