Wilton, Not Much Has Changed

Decorating By Yankie Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 2:04am by Monelove

Yankie Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 28

I started collecting Wilton decorating books and I got 3 old ones..one from 1974, 1978 and 1983. And as I look through them I felt as if I was looking at a 2008 or 09 yearbook. Nothing much has changed!!

The cake stands, the flower cutters, and all the decorations are the same...All of those flowers you learn how to make in the Wilton class are the same ones they had on their decorated cakes.

Now, I did see some character pans that I have never seen at their stores..those are the Walt Disney Characters..Minnie mouse, Mickey, Goofey, Pluto and Donald duck (their faces only)...they also have Fred Flintstone and the Pink Panther...DOes anyone know if they still sell these, because I have never seen them?

27 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 28

Google it. You'll come up with more than you wanted to.

TexasSugar Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 28

Character pans are licensed for only so long. Wilton can create that image for something like 4 years then they have to go back and re license it, which results in a change of the look of the pan. When they do this, they discontinue making the previous pans.

What you will see in stores now are generally the popular characters at the moment. If you want to a pan that you have seen in past yearbooks but can no longer find on Wilton.com, then I'd head over to Ebay since alot of people sell their old character pans.

icer101 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 28

another wilton bashing thread... i,d just like to know why? can,t and don,t understand it.. someone has always got to start something.. go figure...yeah... check on ebay for all the things you want that hasn,t changed.. ha!

Yankie Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 28

ICER101

I'm not bashing Wilton..as a matter of fact I have a lot of their products and LOVE them..but by looking at their old books...they are still showing the same things.

If anyone is starting something is YOU!

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 28

Hmmm, what is bashing about what anyone in here said? Here is the first page of 146,000 results from a Google search with the keywords "wilton character pans". Lots of pages=lots of reading=probably more than she wanted to find.

http://www.google.com/search?q=wilton+character+pans&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&rlz=1I7GGLL_en

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 28

And here is the first page of at least 10 or more (not interested in looking past page 10) of the same search words, but this time, images only.

http://images.google.com/images?q=wilton%20character%20pans&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

So....what was in a bashing tone, again? Cause I missed it.

playingwithsugar Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 28

Oh, I think plenty has changed over the years. I can remember when Wilton sold airbrush colors, pastry tools like cannoli tubes and cream horn molds, stuff like that. They moved on from that stuff when rolled fondant became popular.

And everything old always becomes new again. They've been working with gumpaste and rolled fondant for centuries in other countries - it's just here that they have evolved into forms of cake art over the past, what, 10-12 years?

I predict that a few years we'll probably see a rebirth of the ancient piping skills that made Wilton and Lambeth famous.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffy

ICER101

I'm not bashing Wilton..as a matter of fact I have a lot of their products and LOVE them..but by looking at their old books...they are still showing the same things.

If anyone is starting something is YOU!

Dang straight Joffy.

Gefion Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:43pm
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I predict that a few years we'll probably see a rebirth of the ancient piping skills that made Wilton and Lambeth famous.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I agree, because it has already started. Makes me happy!

cutthecake Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:47pm
post #11 of 28

The most obvious thing I notice between the old and new Wilton books is that fondant replaced buttercream. I have been collecting those yearbooks since the 1970's as a bride, and I still refer to them for ideas. Some of the buttercream/royal piping work was magnificent!
As they say, "What's old is new again."

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:48pm
post #12 of 28

I love the "old" style, for lack of better terminology. Scares me to death, to think of doing some of that piping work, but it sure looks nice when done correctly!

Which reminds me...Indy, where are those old pictures you were talking about??? icon_biggrin.gif

BakingGirl Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:51pm
post #13 of 28

I think the Wilton method is one of those things that you are well off from knowing. You may not choose to use the knowledge in the way they do it in their publications, but knowing it makes you a better cake decorator. I am mainly a fondant decorator but I am very glad I did the Wilton master course, it sets you up for being able to do a lot of techniques.

If you are looking for the older character pans you can try eBay. I made a Mickey Mouse cake from one of the older year books and had to go to eBay to get the pan as it is not available from Wilton anymore. It was easy enough to get.

7yyrt Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:02pm
post #14 of 28

I love the old books, they have much more emphasis on buttercream (which I love) and royal piping. The further back you go, the more Styrofoam and royal icing; the newer has more fondant and gum paste.

I get my pans at the local used stores. Someone is always cleaning out old cupboards because they've decided to become snowbirds.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:50pm
post #15 of 28

My older sister recently gave me a bunch of her old books and old pans. I know one of them is the Pink Panther. My 5 year old went nuts because she loves him. I can thank the Boomerang channel for that. They play all of the old cartoons.

As for the "bashing" I did not read any bashing in Joffy's post. I think she was just noticing that WIlton has not really changed muchof thier base products. Icer on the other hand was full of attitude. Why can't we jsut use the <- button if a post is not appealing to us??

Joffy- I would be happy to go through the boxes and see if I have any of the pans you are looking for. Just pm me.

CoutureCake Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:18pm
post #16 of 28

Some things are the same like Carpel Tunnel Stars but the biggest difference is that the content of the older magazines tends to trump any sales part of them. Now it seems like it's more like buying the JC Penny Catalog - though JCP is MUCH less for $$ - instead of the "what's current" ideas book that it used to be. I have to say that I reference my older yearbooks for information more than the newer books because the older books did go into more technique methodology than the new ones do. It's like with the old book if you lost the instructions sheet from the pan, you still had the yearbook to fall back on as an instant reference, not the case now.

I also like the buttercream and royal focus in the older books. There's some that even have detailed directions on doing stringwork and extensions in them...

CoutureCake Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:20pm
post #17 of 28

Some things are the same like Carpel Tunnel Stars but the biggest difference is that the content of the older magazines tends to trump any sales part of them. Now it seems like it's more like buying the JC Penny Catalog - though JCP is MUCH less for $$ - instead of the "what's current" ideas book that it used to be. I have to say that I reference my older yearbooks for information more than the newer books because the older books did go into more technique methodology than the new ones do. It's like with the old book if you lost the instructions sheet from the pan, you still had the yearbook to fall back on as an instant reference, not the case now.

I also like the buttercream and royal focus in the older books. There's some that even have detailed directions on doing stringwork and extensions in them...

cutthecake Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:09am
post #18 of 28

CoutureCake,
What are Carpel Tunnel Stars?
Thanks!

nannie Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:19am
post #19 of 28

I took a basic wilton class in 1975, never did another cake and then took another class at michaels in 2004

They both taught the same piped clowns with the plastic heads.......

wow I'm old

icon_lol.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:21am
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

CoutureCake,
What are Carpel Tunnel Stars?
Thanks!

That's hilarious! I think she means those cakes that are completely covered with the star tip. Man, how I hated those cakes. They are KILLER on your wrists, thus, the carpal tunnel.

cutthecake Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:23am
post #21 of 28

Never mind.....I just got it. Boy, am I dense. I even had surgery to correct carpal tunnel syndrome. (I probably got it from piping those stinkin' stars!)

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:23am
post #22 of 28

Hey nannie, at least they have updated the clown heads. icon_wink.gif

laneysmom Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:24am
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

I think the Wilton method is one of those things that you are well off from knowing. You may not choose to use the knowledge in the way they do it in their publications, but knowing it makes you a better cake decorator. I am mainly a fondant decorator but I am very glad I did the Wilton master course, it sets you up for being able to do a lot of techniques.

I completely agree. Even Toba Garrett in one of her books touts the Wilton Method as giving her "the foundation I still rely on today."

sugarplumfairycanada Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:30am
post #24 of 28

I have some old and new wilton books - some things have definately changed but others have not. The way I look at I took the wilton classes at Michaels and it was a great and inexpensive way for me to learn cake decorating and a nite out of the house. Wilton method is just only one way to decorate and is not any better or any worse than any other.

As for the vintage pans, I have found some at garage sales and on e-bay for some great prices.

Ruth0209 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:56am
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Hey nannie, at least they have updated the clown heads. icon_wink.gif

OOOHHH! Those things are hideous!!!

Monelove Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:02am
post #26 of 28

I LOVED the Wilton classes I took at Michael's!!! I have always envied cake decorators that could make such AWESOME cakes but never thought it was something I could ever do. I recently became an empty-nester and decided I would take the Wilton class for fun...at the end of the day if I didn't like it or I was horrible at it then I didn't invest much in it and it was no major loss but, I ended up LOVING IT and I'm not to bad at it.....I do need to practice though...ALOT!!! I think the Wilton classes are a great start, their methods are timeless. I wish I could have taken the final class (Fondant and Gumpaste) but my Michael's was not offering it.

nannie Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:04am
post #27 of 28

now if they could just update ME icon_lol.gif

Monelove Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:04am
post #28 of 28

I LOVED the Wilton classes I took at Michael's!!! I have always envied cake decorators that could make such AWESOME cakes but never thought it was something I could ever do. I recently became an empty-nester and decided I would take the Wilton class for fun...at the end of the day if I didn't like it or I was horrible at it then I didn't invest much in it and it was no major loss but, I ended up LOVING IT and I'm not to bad at it.....I do need to practice though...ALOT!!! I think the Wilton classes are a great start, their methods are timeless. I wish I could have taken the final class (Fondant and Gumpaste) but my Michael's was not offering it. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%