Groom's Cake To Large?

Decorating By Bethroze Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 2:00am by indydebi

Bethroze Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 13

I have an order for a Groom's cake, and I'm stumped on the size. 400 Invites went out, she said to make this cake for 200. I am not doing the Bride's cake, so I haven't a clue as to what it is going to look like. The groom has no hobbies and nothing to base a fun cake on, so fruit it is...

I'm afraid this cake is going to be massive and out shine the Bride's cake, which would be a big no- no. Do I try and down play it, or should I just go for it, and let them wish they had come to me for both cakes...ha! icon_lol.gif

12 replies
jimandmollie Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 13

How about a tux? Even if it does outshine the bride's cake they will at least not get the two confused! I would totally do a great job so they (and their guests) will come to you in the future!

RachieRach Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 13

I wouldn't worry about "outshining" the cake by downplaying it. The bride choose you most likely based on your work and she is going to want one of your yummy and beautifully designed creations. I would just make sure it doesn't look like a wedding cake.

And if you are really concerned about size, mention it to the bride but perhaps she is planning on serving 1/2 her guests the wedding cake and 1/2 grooms cake.

Bethroze Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 13

This would be the Groom's mother ordering this cake, not the bride...I can't imagine having a sheet cake for 200 at the reception. I was thinking square tiers with chocolate covered strawberries. Of course, this would look a lot like a wedding cake.

indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 13

What the other cake looks like is not really your concern. Whether your cake outshines it or not is not your concern. Your client ordered a groom's cake for 200 and you'll give her the best dang cake for 200 she's ever seen.

This is not really that uncommon. I've seen websites where the venue (who makes cakes) or the baker requires the groom's cake to be at least as big as the wedding cake. That's always bothered me because it means the bride planning 100 guests either had to order 200 servings of cake .... or if she divided the servings between the two, she had to have a dinky wedding cake that just served 50.

And you can't control how guests will react to your cake compared to the wedding cake. Our own CakeRN had that happen at her daughter's wedding. I caterered that wedding and CakeRN made the wedding cake and the beer bucket groom's cake. The groom's cake stole the show! THere was a CROWD of people around the groom's cake table while they cut it. I'm not sure they even noticed the bride and groom cutting the wedding cake! icon_lol.gif

Just fulfill the order you were given. They must love your work or they wouldn't hvae ordered that much cake from you.

jimandmollie Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 13

I didn't mean a sheet cake for the tux if you are referring to my post. I meant something like this:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1323993

Of course I should have been more specific. Sorry! icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps!

indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:04am
post #7 of 13

Oh that is the CUTEST groom's tux cake I've ever seen!!!!

Jayde Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:16am
post #8 of 13

I agree, that groom's cake is simply adorable. Although if you are making that for 200 people its gonna be huge....

Bethroze Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:15am
post #9 of 13

That tux is too cute, thanks. What about the heart shape tux? If I go by Wilton wedding size servings, I can do a 16" square, 12" square, and a 9" heart for a total of 220. (I counted the heart as party servings because I would only do it one layer, not two.) I normally go by party sizing for all my cakes, but that would take this to 148, and I just think this is plenty of cake.

I feel like changing serving sizes is cheating as far as pricing is concerned, but if I charged for party servings, it wouldn't even pay for ingredients. I just always hate charging more for weddings.
icon_sad.gif

indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:42am
post #10 of 13

Bethroze, since a party serving is approximatley 50% more cake per serving, you DO charge 50% more per serving, right?

I mean, why would you give them 50% more cake for the same money? If I order a bigger fry, McDonalds charges me more money.

This logic has confused me since Day One of joining this site.

Bethroze Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:48am
post #11 of 13

But if I am charging $30 for a 9 inch round, decorated cake for a birthday party, why would I charge $40 for the same cake, but call it a wedding cake. Yes, more people might eat it because the serving sizes are smaller, but it is the same cake, (actually, probably easier to make because I don't have to mix a million bright colors of icing.) icon_wink.gif

Renaejrk Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:57am
post #12 of 13

I only change my servings based on how many layers - not by birthday or wedding. If it's a 1-1 1/2 layer sheetcake it will need to be cut in 2x2 party slices, but if it's a 2-3 layer cake, no matter what the shape, the slices will be smaller in width, but much taller so they will still get the same amount of cake.

indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:00am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethroze

....but if I charged for party servings, it wouldn't even pay for ingredients. I just always hate charging more for weddings.
icon_sad.gif

This is what I was basing my question on. It sounded like you were selling the same cake for a lower price (24 servings instead of 36 servings times your per-serving rate)

I agree that the cake should be the same price. They are welcome to cut the cake any dang way they want, but the cake price is the same. But again ... based on the above quoted statement .... it sounded like you were taking your $50 wedding tier and selling it for $35 just because they told you it was for a party.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%