How Do I Ask Tactfully About Payment?

Decorating By Heather715 Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 4:31pm by Carolynlovescake

Heather715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather715 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 12

This weekend my Mother in Law came by to pick up the Twins for a sleepover at her house. I had made a White almond sour cram cake Thursday so I asked her if she wanted a slice. She said yes and she loved it, so I sent her home with a couple of slices for my Father in Law and her Godchild (who lives with her). Her Godchild (my husbands cousin) is getting married in February. His Bride-to-Be doesn't care what the wedding cake looks like as long as their is pink on it somewhere. She is very easy-going, which is wonderful, but they asked if I could make their wedding cake after they tasted the slice of cake I sent.
At first I said I am only on Wilton Course 2 and I have no idea if I will be able to. If it is going to be a small wedding, and if I am able to, sure, I will make the cake. However, how do I tactfully ask to get reimbursed for the ingredients and materials? I don't mind giving my time since I have never done it before, but to pay for the cake is out of my budget in the foreseeable future, especially since I have no idea how much cake they will need.
Also, if anyone can tell me what the cost of a three tier cake covered in fondant to feed about 100 people would be, I would appreciate it.

11 replies
tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 12

I would just simply tell her that you will be glad to donate your time and talent if she is willing to buy the ingredients. I am new to this and don't feel that I should yet charge. I have made quite a few cakes to give out and have spent a ton of money. Now, I ask for the ingredients and they are very willing to do that. As far as cost, I can't help on that. Sorry

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 12

I would just say, "The ingredients are going to run about XXX. If you could give it to me a few weeks before the wedding, it would give me time to get everything together." And if you have to buy pans for it, I would include the cost of the pans.

I just made a wedding cake for a friend...it was WASC with Indydebi's buttercream and MMF, about 100 servings. My supplies and ingredients cost about $100, including the wire and floral tape and tylose powder for making the gumpaste flowers, and a stamp for embossing the cake board, and a few other unusual things. I already had the plateau and the pans. The cost of ingredients will vary by area. I think the actual food ingredients were about $50 and the rest was the other stuff.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 12

I would just simply tell her that you will be glad to donate your time and talent if she is willing to buy the ingredients. I am new to this and don't feel that I should yet charge. I have made quite a few cakes to give out and have spent a ton of money. Now, I ask for the ingredients and they are very willing to do that. As far as cost, I can't help on that. Sorry

Heather715 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks!
She does so much for my daughters that I hate to ask. She took them to Chuck E. Cheese and they came home with a new dress this weekend!
After bills, gas, food, and clothes for two growing children, I just can't say that I will have the extra money to pay for the cake. It's not like I am making a birthday cake for someone that would cost $10 for ingredients and supplies.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 12

You should also ask her to make sure that the venue where she is holding her reception will allow a cake from an unlicensed provider. (I'm assuming you are not legal.) More and more venues are recognizing the liability they take on by allowing food prepared in uninspected and unlicensed kitchens. It would truly be a shame for her to buy ingredients and you to produce a cake, only to be turned away at the door. I have started carrying a copy of my catering license with me to deliveries.

Heather715 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 12

Oh, I didn't know that, and you are correct, I am not licensed. Thanks, I will find out where the venue is and find out.

Heather715 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 12

I have also never sold a cake nor have I asked for the money to reimburse for ingredients.

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:22am
post #9 of 12

Make sure you say "ingredients and supplies". By the time you finish buying boards and boxes and structural supports and food colors and such, that can add up to more than you'd think.

You might also need to buy pans, but at least you'll use those again.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:24am
post #10 of 12

Yeah what Magda said.

What you need to say is, "$1.50 per serving to cover my costs."

Because typically, I shop at 5-6 different stores to do one tier cake.

So maybe just say "$1.50 per serving to cover my expenses."
Something like that.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:49am
post #11 of 12
Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:31pm
post #12 of 12

If the venue gives you the thumbs up, get it in writing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%