How Do I Ask Tactfully About Payment?

Decorating By Heather715 Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 3:45am by JanH

Heather715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather715 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 5

This weekend my Mother in Law came by to pick up the Twins for a sleepover at her house. I had made a White almond sour cram cake Thursday so I asked her if she wanted a slice. She said yes and she loved it, so I sent her home with a couple of slices for my Father in Law and her Godchild (who lives with her). Her Godchild (my husbands cousin) is getting married in February. His Bride-to-Be doesn't care what the wedding cake looks like as long as their is pink on it somewhere. She is very easy-going, which is wonderful, but they asked if I could make their wedding cake after they tasted the slice of cake I sent.
At first I said I am only on Wilton Course 2 and I have no idea if I will be able to. If it is going to be a small wedding, and if I am able to, sure, I will make the cake. However, how do I tactfully ask to get reimbursed for the ingredients and materials? I don't mind giving my time since I have never done it before, but to pay for the cake is out of my budget in the foreseeable future, especially since I have no idea how much cake they will need.
Also, if anyone can tell me what the cost of a three tier cake covered in fondant to feed about 100 people would be, I would appreciate it.

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 5

I'd say something along the lines of...

"I'd be flattered to create your wedding cake for you, thanks so much for considering me! If it's agreeable with you, I'd like to offer it to you for only the cost of the materials (i.e. ingredients, boards, etc) as my wedding gift to you both. You in turn would have your choice of it's design, flavours, any topper or flowers you're getting from your florist, etc. I'd be happy to organize all the details with you."

You should be very clear that it's not going to be a gift from you. Your time and labor is the gift....NOT the expenses involved. That's a bit too generous from someone who isn't an immediate relative, you know? icon_confused.gif

As for the pricing, it varies hugely from one city/state/country to the next...but on average I'd say to serve 100 people it would be in the $400-$700 range.

(Does it really even need to feed 100 people? If it's not their main dessert, aim lower for a count. After all that food, dessert, drinks and dancing people start to get really full and are even leaving by the late point in the evening at which cake is served. I'd go for a cake that serves 70 or so.)

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 5

I would do like antonia.........maybe even go through your mother in law if she's closer to them.....have her let them know that you just can't afford the materials/ingredients right now but that you would be more than happy to donate all of your time and talent for their wedding cake if they provide either the money necessary/ or the ingredients themselves.
I had someone offer to buy all the stuff (thinking they were gonna get off cheap). for a cake they wanted..they spent almost what I charge for the cake regular price just on ingredients.....they never balked at my prices again LOL

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:41am
post #4 of 5
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:45am
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%