I Messed Up...

Decorating By Babarooskie Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 12:57pm by Babarooskie

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 66

I made 24 red velvet cupckaes with pink vanilla frosting. I had to put the birthday girl's initials on each cupcake.

I put "JP" instead of "JC".
The lady who ordered is my husband's co-worker (and apparently not a friendly person). She called me and told me I put the wrong initials. She sounded upset- I detected a little attitude in her voice, but we hung up the phone OK.

I apologized so many times. I told my husband to give her $10 back from the order (Total was $60).
I know she didn't ask for a refund, but I get the feeling she's going to badmouth me to other people.

Do you think a $10 refund for a fondant letter is fair??

65 replies
mommytmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommytmk Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 66

I think I would refund all monies. It may not make her "happy" anyway, but it shows that you are admitting to your mistake.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 66

What you could have done was offer her a coupon good for (?)% off of her next order... this way you get repeat business and a chance to redeem yourself in her eyes.

$10 was good considering she didn't ask for any money back, I wouldnt sweat it. They ate the cupcakes no doubt and all they had to do was remove one letter and Leave the J.

Mistakes happen I wouldnt sweat it to much, sounds like it was left on good terms icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 66

I think I would've given half of it back. The decoration is a pretty integral part of what the customer pays for.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 66

I'm not sure $10 was enough...I can imagine my kid and her friends sitting there going, "Who's JP?" and looking at me like I was the clueless mother of the year. I think I would have refunded everything, less the cost of the ingredients (after all, they did eat the cupcakes).

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 66

Apparently no contract was done with this order? Nothing written down for bth parties to agree and read over, so that under no circumstance would this type of mistake happen? Yikes...full refund would be the only way I'd feel better about myself.

Babarooskie Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 66

Well, I gave her $10 back...and I suppose I'll give her a discount on her "next* order.

I know the decoration is important, but it was a red velvet cupcake, pink vanilla frosting swirl and "JC" on top. Pretty simple...

Texas_Rose: The birthday girl is a woman who's turning 32 icon_cool.gif

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 66

If it were me, I'd refund a good portion of it. I just wouldn't feel right about it otherwise. If I charge someone for something, then I want the product I deliver to go beyond their expectations. If they are unhappy, and it's clearly my fault, then I want to do what ever I can to make it right. Hopefully you will be able to resolve the situation to both your and your customer's satisfaction.

Babarooskie Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 66

*moderator edited*

The attitude is not needed- I have my own, thanks.
Messing *moderator edited* up big time is getting the flavor, color, and design wrong as well.

I stated her age because Texas_Rose thought it was for a kid....read above. Plus, I have made cakes and cupcakes FOR FREE for my husband to take to work- which she has eaten.

I didn't make a topic to get responses back with attitude and smart remarks. I understand that not all will agree, but seriously, don't act like a jerk.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:49pm
post #10 of 66

Sorry, but I think getting someone's name (or initials) wrong is a pretty big mistake, regardless of who it's for or what age they are.

If I'm customer upset about something a business did (regardless of the type of business), chances are I probably won't use that business again. So a certificate for a future discount does me no good.

$10 wouldn't cut it for me.
I would give a 50% refund.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 66

LOL!

Aw hunny, it is not necessary to lash out at me because you messed up the order and are angry at yourself...

Have a great day!

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:54pm
post #12 of 66

icon_eek.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:55pm
post #13 of 66

I don't really understand your thought process here. From my perspective, this was a bigger mix up than the wrong flavor or wrong color or not having enough. I'm not sure why you don't see it that way. As far as the time and effort in making it, yes, the initials were a small part. But as far as the whole reason that the cupcakes were ordered, your mistake was really big.

I think some people have been a little emphatic in pointing this out because your thought process doesn't compute with ours. Your customer might well be thinking the same thing.

Mistakes do happen, some are bigger than others. At least you didn't put the wrong initial on a wedding cake, because then I think you would have a much bigger problem! Live and learn as we say. icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:56pm
post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

I know the decoration is important, but it was a red velvet cupcake, pink vanilla frosting swirl and "JC" on top. Pretty simple...

I wouldn't be touting how "simple" this order was.

Mike

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:58pm
post #15 of 66

Contracts people...contracts!

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:01pm
post #16 of 66

One more thing....cause I can't shutup, yeah yeah. icon_biggrin.gif

It's like assuming that Michelle is always spelled that way. Or Nicholas. Sometimes they are spelled way different, and I would feel like a dumba$$ if I ever spelled something wrong on any order...big or small. When all you have to do is write it down and show it to the client.

It's like t.v. commercials and printed glossy advertisements with grammar and incorrectly spelled words. Who paid for that? That's expensive screwups that should never ever happen. Misspelling things in here....not a biggie.

Not pointing this at you OP, just making a general observation.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:06pm
post #17 of 66

I am not trying to add fuel to the fire, but here is my 2 cents. This was a major mistake!!!! The decoration is the FIRST impression of the cake/ cupcakes!! Yes, flavor and texture is also important, but you messed up -- REPEATEDLY!!! It wasn't just a cake-- but several cupcakes!! There is a whole website (I am sure there are others) -- cake wrecks that is devoted to mistakes-- visual mistakes!! this site has nothing to do with how the cake tasted or if it was moist enough-- just the first impression of the cake!

I am sure you cuppies tasted good and may have even looked nice-- but having the wrong initial is a huge mistake! A lot more than $10 worth!

You said the order was pretty simple-- I guess it really wasn't!

Babarooskie Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:06pm
post #18 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

LOL!

Aw hunny, it is not necessary to lash out at me because you messed up the order and are angry at yourself...

Have a great day!

Aw sweetie, if you think that's me lashing out at you then you don't know how to read properly...

Have a fantastic day!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:07pm
post #19 of 66

The wrong initials that are meant to honor the birthday person is a major, major mistake. A FULL refund is due.

Ruth0209 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:09pm
post #20 of 66

Asking people what they think isn't always going to get you the response you want. If you only want confirmation that what you already did was right, then you probably shouldn't ask here. Personally, I appreciate the honest feedback people give here because that's what we need to hear when we mess up so we can learn to do better and correct mistakes, even when it's brutal and makes us feel worse than we already do.

Obviously, some people here (including me) think that getting the initials wrong on an order is a more significant mistake than you think it is. I'm sorry that doesn't make you happy, but you did ask.

Babarooskie Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:09pm
post #21 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

LOL!

Have a great day!

Aw sweetie, if you think that's me lashing out at you then you must have a big chip on your shoulder....

Have a fantastic day!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:10pm
post #22 of 66

I wouldn't get too uptight..accidents happen...I too had that happen to me..The customer orderd a cake from me and I swear she said Kiley on the cake and I took it as Riley.When she came to pick it up I guess never notcied but did call me when she got home and told me..she seemed miffed but said she was able to take away the curve of the "R" to make it a K so it was okay...I also had a Baptism cake go out and I put September instead of October for the date but get this....She had the cake for 2 days before she emailed me and noticed the date was wrong...she only notcied when a picture was taken...she wanted a full refund and I said No....the date was so faint as it was printed very small in light blue icing..I apologized but I wasn't gonna refund a $150.00 cake.

Ruth0209 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:19pm
post #23 of 66

Asking people what they think isn't always going to get you the response you want. If you only want confirmation that what you already did was right, then you probably shouldn't ask here. Personally, I appreciate the honest feedback people give here because that's what we need to hear when we mess up so we can learn to do better and correct mistakes, even when it's brutal and makes us feel worse than we already do.

Obviously, some people here (including me) think that getting the initials wrong on an order is a more significant mistake than you think it is. I'm sorry that doesn't make you happy, but you did ask.

LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm
post #24 of 66

icon_eek.gif there seems to be alot toes being stepped on here lately. I have read one to many posts of people being mean and people thinking they were treated mean. I had to check which site I was on I stopped going to mom based forums for that very reason too much DRAMA.

As for the mess up yes it was an accident but I have to agree with the others it should be a full refund.

Babarooskie Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:21pm
post #25 of 66

First- I came on here asking for advice- which I appreciate- but some people can be so nasty when giving it.

I know the initials were a mistake. I addmitted, apologized, and refunded which I think is enough. If you disagree, then so be it. I've given her free cupcakes, a while ago she wanted to place an order and canceled on me last minute and here we are today.

I appreciate the advice and feedback, but some of the comments could be worded nicer.
Lately, topics on CC have been getting ridiculous with some of the comments by posters.
I'm done with this topic.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:35pm
post #26 of 66

I do not sell my cakes, they are all free for family and disadvantaged kids. Anytime I get a call from someone needing a cake. Even family, I make them Spell the name, at least twice to be sure I have it right. That way I avoid the spelling errors. To me, if I was given a cake or cupcakes for my birthday with my name or initials wrong I would be really upset. It would almost feel like the person who made them simply did not care enough to double check that it was right, and/or the baker did sloppy work. Taste would not change that feeling. I have had names like Johnothan (instead of Johnathan) and Shjantek as examples. No way I am going to assume spelling! icon_lol.gif

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:39pm
post #27 of 66

I think part of the point is that it's obvious to the birthday girl/her friends/etc. that the Initials were most definitely a mistake, if you got the flavor wrong no one would be the wiser unless the person who ordered them spoke up and said hey these are supposed to be a different flavor then what you are eating and if she didn't no one would have known and they would have gobbled them up not knowing the difference. (She most likely would have mentioned it to you afterwards that it was wrong alsoicon_smile.gif ) But the initials is something more obvious....and obviously wrong! I think the fact that you've given her free stuff in the past has nothing to do with this order or the fact that she's had to cancel an order in the past - things do happen. Yes, you've done that on your own free will but she was paying for this and expected to get what she ordered....if she wasn't paying then maybe a different situation.

I say chalk it up to a mistake, refund the portion you feel is fair and you feel comfortable with in the way you run your business and move on. Only you know what you feel is right in your heart. Things happen!! icon_biggrin.gif

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:51pm
post #28 of 66

One thing I never understood is how some people show emotion in emails or posts. You read it the way you want to read it. I know some things get heated and sometimes I dont understand. How do you show attitude in a post? Unless you write here I am giving you some attitude. Is anyone with me or did I just make no sense at all? icon_smile.gif Sorry its beena long day!!!

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 8:19pm
post #29 of 66

LadyPhoenix: I just visited your website and the freecakesforkids site too. I love this outreach! I was going to volunteer, but it looks like you have someone already doing so in my area. Just wanted to tell you how inspiring your work is to me!

Amymnn, after reading your comment above I went to free cakes for kids as well and have requested an applicataion to volunteer my cakes. What a wonderful way to give back. I've always said my favorite part of baking is the joy that comes from someone when you present them with a cake that was baked with love!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 8:47pm
post #30 of 66

Oh, if you only knew how much I work on the spelling issues.....I spelled MY OWN SISTERS given name wrong on her phD. graduation cake icon_cry.gif Dr. Catherine Baack instead of Dr. Cathryn Baack......OSU cake, it was written in RED - no fixing it. THANK GOODNESS she had a sense of humor about it (and it was a FREE cake) It was a very hard lesson for me, but one I tell EVERY CLASS I TEACH ~ check, and then double check the spelling, VERY VERY important.

One thing is good Barba - you will never ever again have this issue, you will never forget it. (and again, ask me how I know this??) icon_wink.gif

I am lucky I was not tied to the stake and burned, and I hope you take the advice that most of the folks on here try to give with good intentions, and just leave the ones left w/ bad intentions on the doorstep.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%