Suggestions For Shopping Trip

Decorating By Clovers Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 6:35pm by Clovers

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 7

I just had my birthday and for a gift I received a $50 gift certificate from Michaels from my boyfriend. He was quite the smartpants and also found a 50% off coupon valid for this week so we are going to Michaels tonight to spend the gift card, and since I have the coupon, I can essentially get a pretty 'big' thing if I want it.

I'm curious what you guys suggest as a 'must have' tool/item etc that I may not think I need now, but is a necessity or awesome to have as I get further into my cake decorating fun. I think I would rather get a big ticket item rather than lots of little ones.. unless there are lots of little things that I should definitely have over one major thing.

As a second question... is the 1M tip ever shown as something else, a different tip number perhaps? I haven't found a 1M anywhere, but I have a tip that I think is 1M but it's not labelled as one. (I also got a '2D', which I'm pretty sure if just a giant one.) I've never made icing swirls since I've never had the right tip, and he got me a bunch to go along with my gift card.

6 replies
CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 7

Maybe get a nice cake turntable? Definitely useful in cake icing & decorating.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 7

The stainless turntable is great! If you're starting out they have the large tool box that comes filled with a variety of items. The tip 1M is marketed in the cupcake decorating kit.. it comes with a few tips for decorating as well as the one for filling cupcakes!

Happy belated birthday! What a sweet and thoughtful boyfriend you have! I hope you have a great shopping trip!

Clovers Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

The stainless turntable is great! If you're starting out they have the large tool box that comes filled with a variety of items. The tip 1M is marketed in the cupcake decorating kit.. it comes with a few tips for decorating as well as the one for filling cupcakes!

Happy belated birthday! What a sweet and thoughtful boyfriend you have! I hope you have a great shopping trip!

Thank you! He is quite a good catch if I do say so myself! He also got me one of the tool boxes filled with stuff as well, so I have a good start for sure! I didn't realize the 1M came in the cupcake kit, that's excellent to know! I'll have to pick one of those up today! (I actually make cupcakes way more often than cakes)

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 7

i like the idea of a turntable and i'd also suggest spending the money on the pan sets (circle is probably the most popular). but by far the thing i've used the most is the wilton "toolbox." it comes with lots of tips, piping bags, bake even strips, clear vanilla, gel colors and the list goes on and on. i believe it retails for $150 but with your 50% of coupon, it's a steal and you'll only have to pay for $25 of it!!! happy decorating!

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 7

on getting pans, be aware that Wilton cake pans are not true straight side pans. they have a taper to them.

Clovers Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 7

hmm... definitely seems the turntable is going on the list!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%