Using Rkt For Shapes

Decorating By sarkee Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 9:48pm by HelenM2002

sarkee Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 7

I have to make the Micky Mouse Clubhouse in a few weeks for my to be 3 year old. I have never used RKT to make shapes. Is there some secret that I will need to know? Is is the same consistency when making them to eat? How dod youget the fondant to be so smooth on the figures? Please help. Any advice is greatly appreciated or least send me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

6 replies
Debluvs2bake Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 7

I use the box recipe, modified. I leave out the butter, use 1/2-3/4 a cup less krispies, so I have a more gooey consistancey. I keep maniupulating the desired shape, smoothing and molding, getting as smooth a surface as possilbe. I frost w/ BC before adding the fondant, works well for me.

marccrand Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 7

No, remember this is not the soft, chewy, oowey, gooey rkt you want to eat. These need to hold their shape - especially if it's going to be a shape that defies gravity - overhanging edges, etc.

I make the traditional recipe but then I let the marshmallows boil for several minutes, almost until it turns brown, so when that hardens it will be really hard. When I'm shaping I really squeeze the krispie treats so that they start to crackle and break. If it gets too hard you can stick them in the microwave for a few seconds to make them pliable. Once it's hard if you have edges sticking out you can carve them with a knife so you have a smooth surface to attach the fondant.

diane706 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 7

I like to ice my RKT figures with melted white chocolate instead of buttercream. For me, it's easier to work with. HTH. Have fun!

txnonnie Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 7

I used the original recipe and almost never got it to work. I let them cool quite some time before they would shape and I was only making a baseball. I read on hear before that someone crushed the rice crispie to achieve a smoother finish.

sarkee Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 7

thanks all for the suggestions. I hope it works when I try it.
do you use a thick layer of buttercream? or how about the chocolate?

HelenM2002 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 7

And you can use these for any shape, right? I'm thinking of making monster truck's for my son's birthday cake, and don't know if I'd be better off doing RKT or fondant/gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%