How Do I Extend A Chocolate Fudge Mix And....

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 5:20pm by Jaimelt76

Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 10

And keep it the dark chocolate fudge color?? I have to do 30 cupcakes and I don't want to open a 2nd mix but I have tried in the past using the extender recipe which does work but the chocolate cake ended up being a light chocolate instead of fudge chocolate.I realize you can use cocoa but sometimes it distorts the flavor.... icon_confused.gif

Any ideas...

Thanks

Laurel icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

9 replies
mellee Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 10

Maybe chocolate pudding in the mix with just a little bit of flour, cocoa, sugar, and liquid added too? You shouldn't have to extend the mix too much since the boxes say that they make 24 - 30 cupcakes as is (assuming you fill only half full). HTH! icon_smile.gif

dsilvest Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 10

Use chocolate syrup as your liquid as well as chocolate fudge pudding mix.

I used this recipe.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1988-Blue-Ribbon-Moist-and-Fudgey-Chocolate-Cake.html

Instead of the yellow cake mix I used the chocolate fudge and left out the cocoa.

Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks so much!!! I'll try it!!

Jaimelt76 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 10

Here is the recipe I use and it comes out so good. It is my most requested flavor. I found the recipe somewhere on the internet. Not sure where so I can't give credit to the creator of it.

vegetable oil or spray for your pan
flour for dusting your pan
1 package of Devils food or dark chocolate fudge cake mix
1 package of Devils Food or chocolate fudge instant pudding mix (3.9 oz)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water (I use milk, others have even used hershey syrup)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (some people sub softened or melted butter)
4 large eggs (if making as a sheet, I'd reduce to 3 eggs)
1 1/2 cups semisweet chips

Place rack in middle of oven and preheat to 325. Mist and flour your pans.

Place cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water (or milk instead), oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds - 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides. Increase mixer to medium and beat 1 1/2-2 minutes. (really, only beat it until it is combined). The batter should look thick and well combined. Fold in the chips, making sure they are well distributed throughout the batter.

Pour the batter into the pans and smooth with a rubber spatula.

Bake the cake until it springs back when lightly touched and it starts to pull away from the pan - about 28-35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes in pan and then turn out onto a cooling rack.

If you want the chips to stay suspended in the cake, you could also toss them with a little flour before putting them in. I've never had to do that, but other people have said that their chips sink. If you want the chips to melt, use the mini's.

I prefer using Duncan Hines dark chocolate fudge cake, and the dark chocolate fudge instant pudding mix.

If you are making layers, I would use 3 eggs instead of 4. I think 4 will make it too heavy and it will probably sink in the center. I did that with a 13x9x2 and it sunk in the whole middle. (It was still delicious, just not pretty). Of course, you can always fill it in with more frosting!!!

MrsAB Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 10

Jaimelt76, the recipe you posted reads as if it came from CMD - Darn Good Chocolate Cake.

MrsAB Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 10

Jaimelt76, the recipe you posted reads as if it came from CMD - Darn Good Chocolate Cake.

MrsAB Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 10

Sorry for the triple post. Something strange is happening while on this site. icon_twisted.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 10

Great recipe!! Thanks..I'm gonna keep that!!

Jaimelt76 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:20pm
post #10 of 10

MrsAB thank you for letting me know where it came from. I save things to my computer without saving where it came from. I have started saving the webpage along with recipes, but this one I saved before I started that. Again thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%