Heat And Shipping

Baking By CookieMeister Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 12:15am by Sweetriley

CookieMeister Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 6

I'm going to send some cookies to a friend in Boston who has been sick. I've researched packing them so I feel okay with that. But I'm concerned about the heat. It's 102 degrees here in Kansas today.

Anybody else ship cookies this time of year? Problems? Is one icing (royal, glace, etc) stand up to heat and shipping better than another?

Or should I just hold off sending her cookies until it's not so hot? I'd really like to send her a pick-me-up now, but not if it's going to come to her all melted.

5 replies
divaessence Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know from experience but I believe if they're iced in Royal Icing or Color Flow they should be fine.

KitchenConvert Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 6

I just shipped some cookies and was also worried about the heat. 2-day to DC (from CA), my royal icing did melt a bit and stick to the plastic bag. You can tell from the way the icing looked that it had softened a bit, making the bag stick, but the design wasn't affected and taste was fine.

ZlatkaT Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 6

I shipped once in a hot weather, and the RI melted as well. Maybe if you could ship priority mail (2-3 days) or overnight (it is more expensive) and freeze them before you ship? - I haven't try this but I am thinking of this alot. Also I read some article somewhere, some people buy dry ice packets and lay all over the cookies. But they are expensive as well. I would like to learn more about this as well.

Sweetriley Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:15am
post #6 of 6

I ship a lot and just sent 3 dozen to Iraq 2 weeks ago. Never had any problems. Not sure why RI would melt since it has no fat in it. I let mine completely dry before shipping.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%