Waiting For The Payment.

Business By costumeczar Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 1:04am by Deb_

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:17am
post #31 of 38

No, this was just some random non-NBA player's wedding. Oh well. I've had a lot of people cancel weddings this year, but not the day before!

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:47am
post #32 of 38

I think it's all about how you approach people. You need to be professional & nice, but at the same time....let them know this is a business by sticking to your "rules" from the beginning. Once some people realize you're willing to bend, they'll take it as far as they can. I have it in my contract that all cakes must be paid for within 2 weeks prior to the wedding. I accept cash, check or charge. Anything after that two week mark is cash only. I give a little bit of slack for late payments beyond the two week mark, but if the wedding is less than a week away & they haven't paid me yet, that is their fault for poor planning & being irresponsible - something I don't have the time to deal with when I have other paying customers wanting cakes, even if they are just small birthdays, etc. I make a phone call & let them know that if I do not have payment within 24 hours, the cake is considered cancelled & I will book other orders as the calls come in & they lose their deposit (that's in my contract too). I know it sounds harsh, but people seem to come up with the money when you stick to your guns & I've only had to make that phone call twice in the last 4 years. I know I may just be lucky, but I hardly ever get a late payment & I think that's why.

costumeczar Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm
post #33 of 38

Okay, this is (I hope) my final post on this fiasco. I did a wedding show yesterday, and was talking to a planner who knows the florist for the cancelled wedding. Turns out that a lot of vendors for the wedding, including her planner, were out a lot of money because the bride hadn't paid them, either. The florist had $2600 worth of flowers that hadn't been paid for, so she was going to eat that cost. The bride apparently thought that she could get by on IOUs, so I'm glad that I stuck to my guns and made her pay me.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 8:55pm
post #34 of 38

What a little twit she is huh? I'm happy you stuck to your guns and got your money. Did you end up delivering the cake to the hotel for them?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 9:41pm
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Okay, this is (I hope) my final post on this fiasco. I did a wedding show yesterday, and was talking to a planner who knows the florist for the cancelled wedding. Turns out that a lot of vendors for the wedding, including her planner, were out a lot of money because the bride hadn't paid them, either. The florist had $2600 worth of flowers that hadn't been paid for, so she was going to eat that cost. The bride apparently thought that she could get by on IOUs, so I'm glad that I stuck to my guns and made her pay me.

Yay! party.gif Not so yay for the florist...that sucks eggs! thumbsdown.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 9:54pm
post #36 of 38

Honestly, some people!! icon_mad.gif I feel bad for the florist. Maybe next time she'll be more assertive in demanding payment.

costumeczar Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 10:00pm
post #37 of 38

Yeah, I know the florist and she's WAAAAAY too trusting.

I did deliver the cake. I had it in separate boxes, not stacked, per the bride's request, and I had someone in the wedding party sign for it. I wasn't going to take any chances with Little Miss "gladly pay you tomorrow for a wedding cake today" saying that I didn't deliver it as she requested! Apparently the hotel was still full of wedding guests, so I imagine she was going to serve it to them.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:04am
post #38 of 38

Wow, I can't even imagine how awkward her guests must have felt. Oh well, I guess they had a party anyway.......well at least we know they had cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%