Waiting For The Payment.

Business By costumeczar Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 1:04am by Deb_

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 38

I'm waiting for a payment from a girl who booked through a planner. There have been weird things with the deposit and with this girl from the start, so the whole thing was slightly off to begin with.

Now, of course, the wedding is this weekend and she still hasn't paid me. She did send me an apology, and said that she'd pay me last Tuesday (didn't.) I've sent a couple more emails, but this morning I sent the "no money=no cake" letter. The planner is aware of what's going on and was apologetic about it, so I'm waiting to see if and when she pays up. I told her it's paypal or nothing, by the way.

Want to place any bets icon_wink.gif ?

37 replies
steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 38

I just delivered a four teir wedding cake this weekend to a empty Banquet Hall. The wedding had been cancelled the the night before. I wasn't informed about anything but everyone else much have been informed. I spoke to the bride on the tuesday before the wedding and everything was go. So I quess between Tuesday and Friday they were notifying quests. Maybe the bride was too upset to call me and since I work with the mother, maybe she was too embarrassed. I'm on vacation now so I haven't seen her. I didn't take any deposit because I get full payment two weeks before the wedding. So, Since I was already paid, I set the cake up in a beautiful empty Banquet Hall and left. I'm so glad I asked for advanced payment. But I really hate all the time I put into making the cake for it to be either tossed or eaten by the staff.

costumeczar Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 38

That happened to me once, too. I set the cake up and the DJ showed up and didn't know anything, either. I didn't find out until the next week that it had been cancelled, and I only found out then because the bride had to return some rentals.

Turns out that the groom went to the rehearsal dinner, everything was normal, then after the dinner was over and the bride went home she got a call. From his girlfriend. Who he'd been dating for two years. She said that he hadn't shown his face since then, so she hadn't had a chance to kick his $@%#^@.

costumeczar Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 38

That happened to me once, too. I set the cake up and the DJ showed up and didn't know anything, either. I didn't find out until the next week that it had been cancelled, and I only found out then because the bride had to return some rentals.

Turns out that the groom went to the rehearsal dinner, everything was normal, then after the dinner was over and the bride went home she got a call. From his girlfriend. Who he'd been dating for two years. She said that he hadn't shown his face since then, so she hadn't had a chance to kick his $@%#^@.

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 38

That's sad. I hope this doesn't happen a lot!! icon_sad.gif

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 38

I'm hearing this morning from a co-worker that the the groom broke it off because he says he MIGHT have to go to Iraq and he didn't know what frame of mine he'd be in when he returned. Some excuse. I know the mother is totally p##$$!! .The venue told me the room cost 7,000. I worked three days on that cake and still haven't heard from anyone in the family.

costumeczar Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 38

I just noticed that I posted this topic twice, sorry. It didn't show up the first time I hit submit, so I rewrote it and sent it again. I guess it was just taking its own sweet time to show up!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 38

I had a bride do the money thing once, and by the tuesday before her wedding, I called her and was like, okay, I just want to be clear with you that I am NOT making you a cake, you can email and apologize and make up excuses why the money is not here, but it's too late! So she was like, I'm so sorry, so sorry, can I bring you cash right now? So I said, I will be at the bank making other deposits, you can meet me there, bring me the cash in the next 30 minutes or it's off. She was there with cash in hand! lol. I hate that it comes to all of that, ya know?!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:02am
post #9 of 38

Man, thats just crazy! I guess the busines side of decorating can really suck!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:17am
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I'm waiting for a payment from a girl who booked through a planner. There have been weird things with the deposit and with this girl from the start, so the whole thing was slightly off to begin with.

Now, of course, the wedding is this weekend and she still hasn't paid me. She did send me an apology, and said that she'd pay me last Tuesday (didn't.) I've sent a couple more emails, but this morning I sent the "no money=no cake" letter. The planner is aware of what's going on and was apologetic about it, so I'm waiting to see if and when she pays up. I told her it's paypal or nothing, by the way.

Want to place any bets icon_wink.gif ?

I just wanna say be careful with the paypal thing--it can be charged back to you if she disputes the payment & all. Hope it all works out for you.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:18am
post #11 of 38
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:25am
post #12 of 38

Are there two threads going on this topic?? Or am I seeing double?? icon_lol.gif

costumeczar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:28am
post #13 of 38

Dang! Now she's sent a partial payment, it apparently came from her mother. Paid at 10:12 pm (not from her fiance, not paid after work, so makes you wonder a little...or maybe not.) I'm going to wait until I go to bed and see if the rest comes through. If not, guess who's getting the partial payment refunded and an order cancelled tomorrow?

costumeczar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:38am
post #14 of 38

No, there are two threads. I posted it once and it didn't show up at all (or so I thought) so I reposted. Of course when I came back a couple of hours later they were both there.

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:51am
post #15 of 38

I don't think she'll believe you'll cancel her order since she gave you a partial payment. Sorry this happened.

costumeczar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:59am
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I don't think she'll believe you'll cancel her order since she gave you a partial payment. Sorry this happened.

Maybe I'll give her a partial cake, ha ha ha! I just emailed and told her that if the payment isn't in my inbox when I leave the house at 7am to do my shopping the order will be cancelled. I'm being way too easy on her, but it looks like she's scrambling to get donations, so I'm kind of enjoying the thought of her having to call people and ask them to pay for her cake icon_twisted.gif

I do like the idea of a partial cake, though. I could make one that's cut in half all the way down, or maybe just missing big hunks out of each tier.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:59am
post #17 of 38

Yeah but who used her Mom's credit card? kwim?

Here's one of my mantras,

"Cash don't bounce." icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:05am
post #18 of 38

duplicate

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:09am
post #19 of 38
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Now I'm afraid to reply, I jsut did and it didn't show up again. It will probably show up once I post this one.

I had said that I was thinking the same thing about her thinking that the partial payment being enough to stop me from cancelling the order. I emailed her and told her that I was going to refund the partial payment and cancel the order if the full amount isn't in my inbox by 7am when I go to shop for ingredients. I should just cancel it now, but if she's trying to call people to beg for cake donation money I'm enjoying that.

I also thought that I could maybe make her a partial cake since she sent a partial payment icon_twisted.gif A nice three-tiered square with big hunks out of each tier would be stylish.

Now don't go & be evil. icon_wink.gif I do think you should cancel. Even if she does come up with the dough, I wouldn't be surprised if she complains after the fact & demands a refund.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:11am
post #20 of 38

Wow there's another member here going through the same exact thing for a cake this weekend.

I just don't understand young people (I'm assuming they're young icon_rolleyes.gif ) these days..........Now I'm beginning to sound like an "oldie" icon_lol.gif

I couldn't live like that....how the heck do they sleep at night? Geez.......

I hope this works out well for you.

costumeczar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:11am
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Yeah but who used her Mom's credit card? kwim?

Here's one of my mantras,

"Cash don't bounce." icon_biggrin.gif

Hmmm...Good point. This whole thing stinks. I'm looking forward to sending the refund. Now I'm going to try to go to sleep, with my paranoid mind working overtime.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:16am
post #22 of 38

<making sign of the cross> Father, forgive me. icon_lol.gif

Quote:

...I do like the idea of a partial cake, though. I could make one that's cut in half all the way down, or maybe just missing big hunks out of each tier.

You need to get with sunshine_n_pc about handling those big missing hunks of cake--
--she can cut you some kinda deal!!!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-641382.html

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

costumeczar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:16am
post #23 of 38

#%*&*$, She just paid me! Oh well. I do have a feeling that she'll complain about something. This is the first time I've been pissed off about being paid for a cake! Oh, well.

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:18am
post #24 of 38
Quote:

#%*&*$, She just paid me! Oh well. I do have a feeling that she'll complain about something. This is the first time I've been pissed off about being paid for a cake! Oh, well.

LOL!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for laughing, but you gotta admit its what we call "messed up funny"!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:21am
post #25 of 38

I'm stifling my laughter so I don't have to explain to my husband what's so funny!!! LOL

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:22am
post #26 of 38

Costumeczar, I'm crossing my fingers right now that a lady doesn't pay me for a cake, too. She has until tomorrow, and I DON'T WANT TO DO HER CAKE! She spent an hour and a half literally grilling me about a birthday cake that costs less than $100. So I know how you feel!!!

costumeczar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:47am
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredUp

Costumeczar, I'm crossing my fingers right now that a lady doesn't pay me for a cake, too. She has until tomorrow, and I DON'T WANT TO DO HER CAKE! She spent an hour and a half literally grilling me about a birthday cake that costs less than $100. So I know how you feel!!!

There must be something in the water, there's a lot of this going around! icon_lol.gif

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:16am
post #28 of 38

There's something kind of weird going on this week. Decorators not wanting people to pay for their orders. Me, not wanting certain types of orders.

I need to state I'm grateful for every order I get. However, there were 2 cakes I did this week and I would have been very happy if I had not ever received the orders. How strange is that? May be it's because they weren't the kind of cakes I enjoy working on? I don't know, but there are also some people I don't enjoy working for or with either. So, I understand how you are feeling. Sorry, I felt I needed to share whats going on in my head.

I hope your customer is finished being a "Royal Pain". Good luck to the end of this one!

Toni

costumeczar Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #29 of 38

OKay, guess what just happened? The bride who finally paid me has now cancelled her wedding! I knew there was something weird about the whole situation, but whoa! Well, better now than later, I guess.

She still wants the cake, though, since all of her guests are in town for the wedding. I'm taking it unstacked to the hotel tomorrow so they can eat it. Or maybe they'll find the groom and hold him down while they rub his face into it. icon_razz.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:06am
post #30 of 38

WOW, she wasn't supposed to marry the NBA star Richard Jefferson was she (I just read he got cold feet and cancelled his 2 million dollar wedding a day or so before) icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%