Fondant Flowers? Help?????? They Are Falling Apart.

Decorating By JNURSEGORDON Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 2:36pm by MrCake01

JNURSEGORDON Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JNURSEGORDON Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 7

I have just started making cake this year. I have been gitting sevral cake orders. BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM...I need to make some tropical flower for a cake. My pedals will not stick. together. I want the paper thin but they are falling apart. I have been using voka. (It works with my roses.) What do I need to do?
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

6 replies
K82me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K82me Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 7

Did you try clear vanilla? Thats what I use and they stick together great!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 7

How wet are making the petals - if too wet, they will fall apart.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 7

Use a mixture of tylose and hot water for glue. Try 6 tbl. of hot hot water and 1 tsp of tylose. Mix until disolved and it will be like a gel. Great glue for flowers. Also, are you using gumpaste or fondant with tylose for your flowers? If you are using just fondant you will have a harder time getting the flowers to dry the way you want and keeping their shape.

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 7

Hey JNURSEGORDON,
In the wilton's course 3 class i took we used almond extract but the instructor said any extract would work. Also i didn't see where you were using Gum tex. I used fondant for shaping figures and flowers without Gum tex and during the course 3 class we used it and it makes a world of difference with being able to mold and work the fondant. It also dries out the fondant quickly which if your fondant is too sticky it may help. I would buy the Wilton's course 3 book. It will give you some good tips.
Good luck
Mrcake01

MrCake01 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 7

Hey JNURSEGORDON,
In the wilton's course 3 class i took we used almond extract but the instructor said any extract would work. Also i didn't see where you were using Gum tex. I used fondant for shaping figures and flowers without Gum tex and during the course 3 class we used it and it makes a world of difference with being able to mold and work the fondant. It also dries out the fondant quickly which if your fondant is too sticky it may help. I would buy the Wilton's course 3 book. It will give you some good tips.
Good luck
Mrcake01

MrCake01 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 7

Hey JNURSEGORDON,
Good luck
Mrcake01

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%