Anyone Out There Color With Air Brushing?

Decorating By gimmesugar Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 12:13am by icer101

gimmesugar Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:10am
post #1 of 7

I have such a hard time getting buttercream to go dark (i.e.red, black, dark brown) using gel colors. Does airbrushing your buttercream provide a more deep color, like black and red, than gel coloring? Any drawbacks to using an airbrush? Thanks!

6 replies
windy1979 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:27am
post #2 of 7

i airbrushed my first cake today. The red and black went on really nice and I liked it. The only drawback I saw was the buttercream needs to be super smooth, the airbrushing really showed all the lines and dips. Also I am going to have to practice a lot more, but I think in the end it's a really cool and usefull tool. I hope this helps.....

EliC Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:22am
post #3 of 7

May I ask you what brand of airbrush system you use or prefer. I am considering purchasing one and need some guidance. Any advice would be geatly appreciated. Thank you.

windy1979 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 7

I have a Kopykake Airmaster and a Kopykake KromaJet. I just got them like 2 weeks ago. They are pretty simple to use, I am still learning. I have wanted one for a while, and got these off craigs list for a pretty good price. I would check out the kopykake website. I like the kroma jet it's easyer to use, and only 160 new.

EliC Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you for your info, I will be new at using this also so I'm glad you find it simple to use, I am sure it takes a lot of practice but it will be fun. I'll check out the website.

Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:00am
post #6 of 7

I also have the kopykake Airmaster and I love it...ther are some drawbacks..

1. If you airbrush an entire cake and you want to add embellishments etc...careful that you don't touch the cake with a knuckle or something as the color pulls off.It leaves that spot white and very noticeable.

2. You have to practice with pressure and how close to be to the cake or you can puddle the color.

3. Trying to airbrush a rainbow is Hell...the overspray can cause the colors to mix and you end up with a brown murky mess.There is a way to do it by colors but I haven't mastered it yet!

4. Awesome for spraying the pearl or metallic sheens.

icer101 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:13am
post #7 of 7

i have had a kopykake airmaster for 13 years. love it.. never had any problems,etc. only use airbrush colors. ever... hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%