"how Much Is Too Much For A Wedding Cake?"

Decorating By cupcakeco Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 7:24pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:26am
post #1 of 11

I have a subscription to the website Yahoo! Answers, for those who are not familiar it is a place in which users are free to ask or answer questions, and give or recieve answers.

This question in particular caught my attention-- though I didn't have the chance to weigh in because I found it only after the "Best Answer" had been chosen.

I thought it was interesting because all of the different answers show just how broad the views on this topic are....and it gives a little insight as to how non-cake decorators feel about the subject.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AnLU0pedIBcAjVNBznXfcDbE7BR.;_ylv=3?qid=20090712141459AAllR9X

10 replies
Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:56am
post #2 of 11

This was a good read. People just assume that a cake is so simple to make because it is 'flour and sugar'...They forget the time, talent, and effort that goes into it. I loved how the one lady talked about spending over 2000 pounds (about $4000 Canadian) on her dress and that was ok because it was important to her but a cake.... sheesh it's a cake! If someone doesn't think my time and effort to create a beautiful cake for them is not worth my asking price, then it is not worth the effort. They forget that not only is a wedding cake a piece of art but you can eat it too, how bad is that! Thanks for sharing this thread.

Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:58am
post #3 of 11

This was a good read. People just assume that a cake is so simple to make because it is 'flour and sugar'...They forget the time, talent, and effort that goes into it. I loved how the one lady talked about spending over 2000 pounds (about $4000 Canadian) on her dress and that was ok because it was important to her but a cake.... sheesh it's a cake! If someone doesn't think my time and effort to create a beautiful cake for them is not worth my asking price, then it is not worth the effort. They forget that not only is a wedding cake a piece of art but you can eat it too, how bad is that! Thanks for sharing this thread.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:03am
post #4 of 11

It is obvious, when one reads those responses, that there are so many people in the world who have never ever made anything themselves.

Cake civilians have no idea of the time and talent that lies behind a gorgeous cake.

The responses that cracked me up were the ones who assumes that pretty cakes don't taste good.

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:07am
post #5 of 11

I especially liked the one about 115 servings for... $40?! I think I need to double check that...even recalling the blurb feels wrong.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:11am
post #6 of 11

You can't educate everyone at the same time I'm afraid. There are so many bridal sites online and if she chooses to use Yahoo answers to make her decisions for her, without even doing research then it's her loss/choice, unfortunately. I do agree that if you can't afford to pay $750 "just" for cake to feed 120 people then maybe you should rethink your guest list and your budget.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 8:44am
post #7 of 11

That was quite hilarious to read... People are clueless!

I love the one that said she thought $150 was enough to pay for a cake for 120 guests and if the guests didn't like it they should pitch in for the cake... hahhahhah

FRICKEN IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:39am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

That was quite hilarious to read... People are clueless!

I love the one that said she thought $150 was enough to pay for a cake for 120 guests and if the guests didn't like it they should pitch in for the cake... hahhahhah

FRICKEN IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!

As they are coming in the doors, they write their name down in a book saying they were there. Then instead of moving on, they step to another book where they decide if they want cake. If you want cake, write your name here and that will be $3.00 a slice (or whatever).

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:16pm
post #9 of 11

I have to say, I wasn't offended at all by this. We are like the artist in all of the shows who gets irrational and upset when someone walks in and says," That's nice." about his masterpiece. Of course the general public isn't going to appreciate all of the hard work that goes into making a cake. Believe it or not, some people don't like cake (I know! It's inconceivable!) Also, where I live, there is a local scratch bakery that prides itself in that. They make high priced breads and cakes and put very fancy stickers on their boxes. To me, their cake tastes like a dinner roll with frosting...wretched. So, you saw all reactions on that blog. Those people all exist in all of our towns. You will never convince a person, who doesn't like cake, that your work is worthwhile. This is why you should charge a good price and meet up with the people who want to pay for it.

By the way, I have runner friends who think I should pay more for my sneakers than I do.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:07pm
post #10 of 11

There are all sorts of "muggles" in this world........cake muggles, sneaker muggles, hair muggles, seamstress muggles, mechanic muggles, electrician muggles, plumbing muggles, artist muggles..........I could go on and on.

My point being....people only "know" the costs of items/services that they deal with on a daily/weekly basis.

How many Wedding cakes will they buy in their lifetime? When the public is not out there "shopping" for something on a regular basis then of course some "sticker shock" is to be expected.

I think my electrician charged me too much when we added our sunroom last year..........I'm sure he thought it was "fair market value" and hey, we couldn't do it ourselves so we paid.......but when he handed me the estimate I'm sure he laughed to himself when he saw the look of "sticker shock" on my face.

We went into the project with a "price" in our minds and our "price" was WAY below what it ended up costing us........even with getting a few different estimates.

I'm sure that's exactly what brides do to us. They have a cake "price" in their minds and then when they actually see what it will really cost, they get that "look". icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif we've all seen the look. icon_wink.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:24pm
post #11 of 11

ITA, dkelly! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%