Using Wires

Decorating By sweet-thing Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 5:24pm by sweet-thing

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:48am
post #1 of 5

I keep seeing cakes with wires in them holding up little decorations and beads, things like that. Very cute idea. So, I made a cake and made little butterflies on wires to stick in the top. When I put them in, the wire tore the fondant. How do you do this without damaging the fondant? icon_confused.gif

Thanks!

4 replies
LambrinieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LambrinieCakes Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:59am
post #2 of 5

Hi.

You may want to check out this thread about using wires in cakes. Good information.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-632290-.html

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:59am
post #3 of 5

What I have done is cut out the shape kind of thick, that way the wire can go in smoothly. Also, I heat my wire and then insert it into my fondant design (ball, butterfly etc). When the wire is hot it acts like an adhesive and glues the wire to the fondant. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:02am
post #4 of 5

Ok... first what kind of wire did you use?

It is best to use floral wire approx 20 gauge. You don't put the wire directly into the cake .. 1) It isn't foodsafe, could contain lead. 2) it won't stay up.

You need to put the wire end that goes into the cake into a straw, coffee stirrer, posey pick. I use coffee stirrers. if using a straw or something bigger put a ball of fondant into the end then insert the wire.

HTH

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 5

I love this site! You guys are great! That is exactly what I needed! icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%