Substitutions For Different Flavors In Scratch Cakes

Baking By Kiki74 Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 11:19am by Kiki74

Kiki74 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:27am
post #1 of 5

I use the WASC recipe with the different variations from Macsmom(which are fabulous by the way). I have a few scratch recipes that I like and I would like to try different flavors. Most of the liquid in the recipe is milk. Can I substitute that for different flavors of liquids or will that alter the outcome too much? I would like to experiment more with the recipes but DH got laid off and our grocery budget has gotten been drastically reduced. Any advice or tips that you CC'ers have would be appreciated. TIA

4 replies
ptanyer Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:49am
post #2 of 5

How about this: make a scratch mix that you want to try variations on. Make the whole recipe minus the flavoring, not the milk or the other required liquids. Then separate the batter into small bowls (enough to make a couple of cupcakes). Then, add a small amount of different flavors to each bowl. Then using color coded cupcake papers, fill and bake. And then have your very own tasting! Invite the DH and evaluate them. Make written notes about what you like and don't like and then you can change the flavorings for the whole recipe based on what you liked.

When I am doing this I use my pound cake recipe minus the vanilla. And then I tried some with almond, orange, lemon, etc. When I am experimenting with different flavors of liquors, I will buy a bunch of mini-bottles from the ABC store and DH and I will sit down and taste them straight up and decide which ones we think will translate for cakes.

Hope that helps thumbs_up.gif

Kiki74 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:41am
post #3 of 5

I never would have thought of that! Thanks for the great idea. And thanks for responding. icon_biggrin.gif

Kiki74 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:45am
post #4 of 5

I never would have thought of that! Thanks for the great idea. And thanks for responding. icon_biggrin.gif

Kiki74 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:19am
post #5 of 5

I used your advice lst night to try a new recipe for white cake. The cake is very good and moist. I left part of it plain. I flavored part with strawberry daiquiri mix and part with peach sno cone flaovring. I felt like a mad scientist. icon_twisted.gif The strwberry was good but the peach needed a stronger flavoring. I can't wait to trty more things! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%