Fondant Gum Paste Question

Decorating By sweet-thing Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 9:43am by anamado

sweet-thing Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:58am
post #1 of 7

I recently started trying fondant because you all inspire me so much! I have noticed that many of you cover the cake with fondant but use gum paste accents, decorations, etc. Not flowers but cut outs and things like that. Is there a reason for that? Is it easier, better?

6 replies
Rylan Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:10am
post #2 of 7

I actually use a mixture of both all the time.

Elise87 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:24am
post #3 of 7

I usually use fodant pieces to decorate my fondant cakes but if i were to use gumpaste it would be because i need to make the pieces i put on have more strength cose it dries completely hard whereas fondant even when completely dry never dries solid hard so it's not strong enough for certain decorations. icon_smile.gif

ceshell Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:26am
post #4 of 7

I only mix gp into my fondant if the accents need to dry hard and stand on their own. If it is just something flat like dots, borders, etc. I'd stick with fondant for ease. However if you have items that need to maintain a firm shape (say: big "bead" shapes) you would still have better success with a blend because fondant can sag. Commercial fondant doesn't sag as much as MMF though.

Sometimes you WANT the deco's to stay soft, if you think people might eat them (I did a mermaid cake and intentionally made the fish on the side of the cake out of fondant...but I made rocks, coral, etc. out of gp so they could stand off the cake). Sometimes they need to dry hard, like figures, with gp or gp/fondant blend, they don't just dry harder, but also sturdier. When my MMF stuff dries it can be a bit fragile and crumbly.

anamado Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:56am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

(...) fondant can sag (...) MMF stuff dries it can be a bit fragile and crumbly.

I make all my accents and modeling figures out of mmf. I never had a problem with it regarding sagging or crumbing....
I can't make any other kind of paste because I can't find a lot of ingredients in my country, so MMf is all I ever used.
I have tried all kind of things with it.
I once made a sleeping beauty (3 years ago) and my mother still keeps it on the cupboard (as decoration on a plate icon_smile.gif ) and it's fine!
Maybe it's because my MMF is made only with marshmallows. sugar and water. No fat nor glucose, nor cornsyrup added. Would you believe that in Portugal we have no shortening or cornsyrup either???? icon_smile.gif

ceshell Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:09am
post #6 of 7

OK you are a true genius! I have examples of MMF figures (straight mm's and water, no shortening either) that have sagged. Oh my poor little saggy smooshy snowman, and my squishy panda and fish from my early days. Then there are the fondant arms or legs or ropes I let dry...which crumbled to bits when handled. Or the clamshell which never ever hardened and collapsed on itself --four times--when I took out the support.

*sigh* With that kind of a track record, I am sure you can see why adding gp or tylose is a must for me! icon_biggrin.gif

Your cakes are beauuuuuutiful! Did you do the sleeping beauty headboard from straight fondant?! icon_eek.gif

anamado Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:43am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all your compliments Ceshell. But I´m nop genius. I just work with what I have. I never mesure the water northe sugar I add. I just put everything on the stand mix and add as it mixes. Maybe in the end the proportions are different, I don't know...
The bed on the sleeping beauty is made of pastillage. Sugar and gelatin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%