Michelle Fosters Fondant

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 5:39am by bakermommy4

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 23

I must say I love the taste of the fondant, but man, its is really hard to work. It turned out dry and crumbly, and was falling apart, I couldn't mix the color in it. I had to knead small pieces of fondant, adding glycerin, and crisco, its the only way I could get it workable. I just can't imagine what I did wrong, I know it can't be this hard. I must have added to much powdered sugar, but how do you know, it was a soft ball, like the recipe stated, but I must have done something wrong. Has anyone else had this trouble. I'm so afraid to use it, and it makes alot, I hate to waste it. Any ideas would be so helpful, thanks

22 replies
mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 23

I am a total beginner with fondant but, I really think you must have added to much powdered sugar. This is my favorite fondant recipe because it is so smooth and easy to work with. icon_smile.gif

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:07am
post #3 of 23

I love this recipe. I have found it much easier to color before adding the powdered sugar. It's hard to tell what it will look like before the sugar is added but you can always add more later.
Also, I pop it in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds to soften it to make it more workable when I am ready to knead it. You will definetly work up a sweat but warming it up helps a lot.
I hope this helps.

Barb00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb00 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:21am
post #4 of 23

I have made 3 batches of this. First batch I think I did not add all the ps. Came out beautiful and easy to work with. 2nd batch (made 1/2 recipe)kept falling apart. I kept adjusting with ps and crisco. When I rolled it out it looked like it had pock marks! I covered cake with cornelli lace so you could not see the holes. 3rd batch, full recipe came out pretty good. I don't think I added all the ps. I have not made any other home made, but want to try some others. Not sure if my problems were too much sugar or what. 3rd batch was a rainy, rainy day and my fondant ribbon just kept stretching and stretching!

Barb00 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:21am
post #5 of 23

I have made 3 batches of this. First batch I think I did not add all the ps. Came out beautiful and easy to work with. 2nd batch (made 1/2 recipe)kept falling apart. I kept adjusting with ps and crisco. When I rolled it out it looked like it had pock marks! I covered cake with cornelli lace so you could not see the holes. 3rd batch, full recipe came out pretty good. I don't think I added all the ps. I have not made any other home made, but want to try some others. Not sure if my problems were too much sugar or what. 3rd batch was a rainy, rainy day and my fondant ribbon just kept stretching and stretching!

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:42am
post #6 of 23

Yes, yes, yes! One thing about this recipe, humidity or water in any form degrade it terribly. Also, liquid food coloring just does not work in this.

Barb00 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:40am
post #7 of 23

Good to know. I will try other recipes and use this one on non-rainy days! Thanks.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 23

I think you must have added too much powdered sugar too. I have made this recipe at least a dozen times and has come out great every time. You add enough of the sugar until the consistency is right. HTH

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 23

I think you must have added too much powdered sugar too. I have made this recipe at least a dozen times and has come out great every time. You add enough of the sugar until the consistency is right. HTH

pattiverde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattiverde Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 23

I made this for the first time recently and struggled with it, too. It was a soft, smooth ball, but would break apart when I kneaded it instead of stretching a little. I added more glycerin, more p.s., more kneading, more resting... and eventually just tried to use it as it was and see how it went. And it went great! I colored it and that indeed was a tremdous workout, but a successfully even-colored one. Despite my struggles, it rolled out really well and laid well on the cakes. My first roll-out (for the first of three tiers) did have some pock-marks in it, but the second two didn't (?). But this happens for me ocassionally when I use Satin Ice, too.

Good questions indeed!
icon_smile.gif patti

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 23

I've had mixed success with it, too, but it seems no matter what isn't going right, glycerin is the solution for me. When I first unwrap it to use, it is never the right consitency. I use crisco and glycerin and knead it a bunch and eventually it feels right and rolls well.

I love the taste so much that I keep using it even though it has never been easy for me. I think as I start doing more and more cakes, I'll switch to Satin Ice, but will still probably use MFF for family since we all like the taste so much.

cathyscakes Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:25pm
post #12 of 23

thanks everyone, it was just way too much work for me, it wore me out. I had to knead small amounts with glycerin, so it took a long time, but it did start feeling nice. The cake is coming up, and i'm a little scared, feel like I have to have a back up fondant, in case it doesn't work.

eperales0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eperales0411 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:28pm
post #13 of 23

I have also made the MMF for the first time, I also had a little
of trouble with it crumbling a little, so I had to add some
glycerin and crisco, and after a workout, I finally got it to
roll very nicely. Although I had a little trouble with it, the
flavor is so good, I will definetly keep using it again. I was
a fan of satin ice, but after trying MMF, there is no comparison
on the taste.

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 9:31pm
post #14 of 23

I had the same crumbling problem with this recipe...to be honest, I gave up and threw it away...I don't know what the problem was...it was crumbling way before I could have had too much ps. I LOVE the mmf...works better than satin ice and it is also pretty nice tasting...just my two cents. I wish I had had better luck with the MFF...it sounds so yummy!

Barb00 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm
post #15 of 23

So pattiverde had pockmark problems with Satin Ice as I did with michelle foster's. Anyone know what causes it?

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:32pm
post #16 of 23

Which MFF recipe are you using? There are 3 different versions floating around. Michele Foster had re-submitted her corrections but wasn't able to delete the other recipes.

One recipe calls for 3 Tbs of gelatin and another one for 2 Tbs of gelatin (this latter one is supposed to be the correct version). However, different people have had luck with the 3 Tbs recipe. Both have worked for me although I've had to use different amounts of PS.

Michele Foster posted the clarification in the recipe section. But here's a link to what Michele actually uses:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7446-1-Michele-Fosters-Fondant.html

lngo Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:35pm
post #17 of 23

Which MFF recipe are you using? There are 3 different versions floating around. Michele Foster had re-submitted her corrections but wasn't able to delete the other recipes.

One recipe calls for 3 Tbs of gelatin and another one for 2 Tbs of gelatin (this latter one is supposed to be the correct version). However, different people have had luck with the 3 Tbs recipe. Both have worked for me although I've had to use different amounts of PS.

Michele Foster posted the clarification in the recipe section. But here's a link to what Michele actually uses:

lngo Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:38pm
post #18 of 23

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:30am
post #19 of 23

I've tried both the 2 tbsp and 3 tbsp recipe and had issues with both, which I eventually corrected for both. Regarding pock marks, I have gotten them every time with BOTH MMF and MFF, and still have no idea why. The solution, for me, was to roll on cornstarch and pick up, put straight on cake, not flipping it over off of plastic which is what I had been doing. The bottom (part on the counter) is what is pock marked for me, so if I don't flip it, you can't see that part. But it's still there and I wonder why?

cathyscakes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:44am
post #20 of 23

I started working some again today and put it in the microwave as suggested and it made all of the difference in the world. Just those 10 seconds saved alot of work, it worked great, thanks

booguster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booguster Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:15am
post #21 of 23

Hi all,
I live in Reno, NV which is considered the high desert (oxymoron huh) anyway our weather is dry and warm (90's in the summer) when making homemade fondant does this effect how much of each ingredient is actually needed? Anyone live in an environment like mine that has some good tips. Fondant drying out around here happens in the blink of an eye! AAAAAA!

Cheers

booguster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booguster Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:17am
post #22 of 23

Hi all,
I live in Reno, NV which is considered the high desert (oxymoron huh) anyway our weather is dry and warm (90's in the summer) when making homemade fondant does this effect how much of each ingredient is actually needed? Anyone live in an environment like mine that has some good tips. Fondant drying out around here happens in the blink of an eye! AAAAAA!

Cheers

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:39am
post #23 of 23

I just recently made some of michelle's fondant and had problems too. I live in Las Vegas and didn't even consider the weather as a factor. I threw 2 batches of the mff away and was sad to see it go because it tastes sooo good. I think I'm just gonna start purchasing Satin Ice now because I can't really afford to have these fondant issues. I will keep practicing though and adjusting the powdered sugar until I get perfection.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%