Is It The Bakers Responsibility?

Decorating By Digit Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 7:54pm by BCo

Digit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Digit Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 11

I am an at home baker and have recently started making wedding cakes. I've delivered a few to reception halls and nothing was said to me except for this last cake where they asked if I brought boxes to wrap up any leftover cake in (not the individual slice boxes, just a few big boxes). They said the bakeries always provide boxes. I never really thought about that. I guess I assumed the reception place would do that. I had to stack on site, so I left the boxes that I used to deliver the tiers in, which was sufficient.

So, my question is...is it the bakers responsibility to provide boxes for left over cake??

I'm trying to be as professional as I can. I've never worked in a bakery, so I'm learning all the little details as I go.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate you guys!

10 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 11

I never leave boxesfor leftover cake. If they want to save the top tier for the anniversary (which is one of the questions I ask at the tasting/meeting), then I leave a 7X7X5 box.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 11

I would say yes, the bakery provides the boxes. Theoretically, the cake is delivered in a box and the box is saved for any leftover cake. So it's logical that the baker supplies them.

I delivered one wedding cake to a country club, who evidently had a problem with no boxes. She kept asking me if I brought boxes and I told her twice "they're still in the van ... I'll get them after I get the cake set up." She mentioned it again, adding "....because I do NOT keep cake boxes in stock!"

And logically again, why WOULD a banquet room keep a supply of cake boxes on hand? They don't sell cake and that's just an added expense for them for a cake that they made zero profit on. (oh man that sounds like the most grammatically incorrect sentence ever!)

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 11

When I got married the baker left boxes.

I always leave boxes that I brought they cake in. Can't reuse them, so I might as well leave them.

LSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 11

Jammjenks and I are on the same page. I leave only a box for the top tier. I had small labels made up with instructions for freezing that I put on each box.If you leave boxes for extra cake and it's all eaten, your boxes go in the trash!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 11

Um...ordinarily, if the cake isn't one that is put into a box for delivery (ie, a single-tiered birthday cake or some such), bakeries in my area do not provide a box. However, when I bought the three-tiered cake a few years ago and specifically asked for boxes large enough to take all the cake home with me, and was only given a little tiny box, I was irritated. So I would say it's the bakers responsibility to work that out in advance with the client. Or to decide if that's something she's going to do on a regular basis.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 11

I tell the bride during the initial cake consultation that I will provide a box for the top tier-first anniversary cake and a box for the caterer to send with them for their honeymoon. Any thing more than that will be their responsibility.
I also print out directions on how to wrap and save the top layer. Have never had a request to bring more boxes.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:31am
post #8 of 11

No... some bakers do it as a courtesy, but I do not, and none of the bakeries or cake designers I have worked with have ever done this.

Digit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Digit Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:00am
post #9 of 11

This happened to be a country club. Maybe they are a bit fussier? Any way, she was happy with just the boxes that I delivered the cake in. I would assume that should be enough. I hate the idea of leaving brand new boxes that wouldn't be used and just thrown away!

I do always leave a box for the top tier. I guess I'll leave the delivery boxes and that's it, unless other arrangements are made with the bride. I like the idea of the freezing direction labels. I have a paper that I print out and leave with the anniversary tier box, but I found out after this last wedding that they didn't receive it. So, I think I'll look into making some labels. Great idea!

Thanks for all your input! I think I know how to handle this situation now. As always, you guys are awesome!!

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 11

I agree it should be brought up at the consoltation. I provide the box for the topper. If they want boxes add that to the price. Let them know that there is a charge for the boxes. Boxes arent cheap.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 11

Hmmmm- I have never thought about this and I have never been asked so I guess that's a good point!! The one wedding where I delivered the cake and was a guest at the wedding they didn't say anything to me once the cake was cut - they just wrapped the leftover cake on it's cardboard circle with plastic wrap and it was sitting with the pile of stuff put aside that the bride and groom needed to take with them ( I think it was actually on the table with all the gifts at the end of the night) And I do recall my own wedding that my leftover cake was wrapped up in plastic wrap also and sent to my hotel room with all my gifts just wrapped like that!! I can clearly recall that b/c by the time I had gotten back to my hotel room after the wedding I hadn't eaten anything all day (no, didn't get a chance to really eat anything at the reception since we were so busy with our guests) that I tore into those cakes like I hadn't eaten in years!! LOL but it was sooooo good!!! And at that time I didn't think twice either that my cake wasn't in a box and just wrapped in plastic wrap.

I think I may from now on make sure to just take a small box for the top tier if they're going to keep it for the anniversary tier. But that's the only one I'll take. Most of the weddings I've been to the leftover cake is cut up and placed in boxes/bags for the guests to take extra home with them when they leave!

Good question to ask!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%