Freezing Cakes

Decorating By Yankie Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 12:48pm by jodilee

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 7

I don't make too many cakes, maybe 6-8 a month...so I bake all the cakes a couple of days before...but I don't freeze them.

I was wondering what do you guys do..Do you make a bunch of cakes in all sizes and freeze them, and take them out when you need them, if so what do you use to cover them?

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 7

I don't have a stockpile, but I like to freeze my cakes at least 24 hours. I wrap them in saran wrap (the good stuff from Sam's .... not the crappy stuff they stick housewives with at the grocery).

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 7

I have a huge roll of cling wrap I bought at the local restaurant supply store. It has 2000 feet in it and lasts me at least 6 months. I usually make my cake son Monday and freeze until I decorate them on the weekend

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 7

I use the commercial one which is 3000 sq feet and it saves you a lot. I don't sell cakes either but I sometimes freeze my cakes. I wrap it in layers of plastic wrap and then put it in a bread bad/freezer bag/foil (for bigger cakes).

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:30pm
post #5 of 7

Freezing is an integeral part of my process. The cakes are way more moist and soft. I wrap in good saran wrap twice over and throw them in. The longest I have had them in there is about a month, but I am sure you could get longer if you needed too.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:45pm
post #6 of 7

I always freeze. Always wrap in a good plastic wrap - the advertised brands stink. Life is easier and you have more flexibility with your baking times. Also, frozen cake is easier to torte and handle, especiall in larger sizes.

jodilee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodilee Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 7

After my cakes have had a chance to cool, I wrap them in 2 layers of Cling Wrap, then I wrap them in foil and place in the freezer. I usually leave them in the freezer for a day, then thaw them still wrapped up, on cooling racks. Once they are thawed completely, then I frost. I guess I only do this because people have commented that it makes the cakes moister if you freeze them first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%