Edna's Roses What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 2:12pm by tonedna

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 22

Attached is my first attempt at Ednas roses. They arent too bad for a first appempt but I couldnt use them for cakes.

I think my bulb was too big but I did it to the size Edna said on youtube. What else do you think I did wrong.

TIA

21 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:02am
post #2 of 22

How are they wrong looking? How can you not use it for the cake?

mindy1204 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:22am
post #3 of 22

Hum wonder why the picts didnt attach. [/img]

mindy1204 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:00am
post #4 of 22

I tried again to attach them but it isnt working they are in my profile

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:22am
post #5 of 22

It's not bad but would need a bit of improvement.

Did you use gumpaste? ready made gumpaste? A mixture of gumpaste/fondant?

How come you didn't cover the center with petals like what she did on the video. If you have problems getting clean edges, try rubbing veg. shortening around the cutter. It also looks like you used big petal cutters for the second to the last layers of petals.

Did you follow her instructions step by step?

mindy1204 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:33am
post #6 of 22

I feel like I followed them. I used all the same size cutter the same one she used. I put the first 2 petals at about half way like she says and it left the space. Can I move them further up? I thin the top of my bulb was to thick but I could be wrong.
I used gumpaste, should I use fondant or a mix? I have 2 more bulbs made but wanted to get pointer before doing more.

Barb00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb00 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:42am
post #7 of 22

Looks like you need to wrap the center tighter to make more of a bud in the center. Maybe more petals, too.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:07am
post #8 of 22

I think you should watch step II in that series again. You'll see the petals go from the base and extend slightly above the top of the cone then wrapped tightly...your cone shouldn't be exposed at all. I didn't see where she said to place them half way up.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:25am
post #9 of 22

This is what I see. The bud center on the side picture of the rose, is too big. The petals should cover this base. The two center petals are suppose to be tighter around the base and the hole in the center should be the size of a pin hole.. Roses are difficult to do and they do nees lots of practice. Is like writing. So don't let the first few ones frustrate you.
I would say keep watching the video and practicing, I promise it gets easier and they look better the more you do them.
Edna icon_smile.gif

mindy1204 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:25am
post #10 of 22

Ok I will watch it again.. I thought somewhere she said that each petal goes half way and mid way between the previous petals. Thanks for the help.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:29am
post #11 of 22

I dont think she says place them half way up... I think she says to overlap the previous petal half way around.. If that makes sense.. These are the first ones I made using her tutorial.. Just watch them all again and keep trying.. thumbs_up.gif
LL
LL
LL
LL

tonedna Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:32am
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

I dont think she says place them half way up... I think she says to overlap the previous petal half way around.. If that makes sense.. These are the first ones I made using her tutorial.. Just watch them all again and keep trying.. thumbs_up.gif

Yes..The whole center needs to be covered by the petals..
Edna thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:40am
post #13 of 22

Here a closer photo of how the roses should look. Look at the center. You don't see the bud on the wire at all..
Edna icon_smile.gif
LL

all4cake Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:48am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Here a closer photo of how the roses should look. Look at the center. You don't see the bud on the wire at all..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Show off! icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif (just messin')

Those are gorgeous! I love the colors too!

If you need ideas for another video...and I'm gonna try and sound the least greedy as possible here....the filler flowers!

I did see the video produced by cakedepot or something like that...she's got a wide variety of flowers but because it's a infomercial kinda for the video/dvd/classes they're made quickly and sporadically....the center of one is at the beginning and the finish is at the middle and the beginning is at the end type of stuff going on. I confess! I'm just a tightwad!

tonedna Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:24am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_smile.gif

Show off! icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif (just messin')

Those are gorgeous! I love the colors too!

If you need ideas for another video...and I'm gonna try and sound the least greedy as possible here....the filler flowers!

I did see the video produced by cakedepot or something like that...she's got a wide variety of flowers but because it's a infomercial kinda for the video/dvd/classes they're made quickly and sporadically....the center of one is at the beginning and the finish is at the middle and the beginning is at the end type of stuff going on. I confess! I'm just a tightwad!

Wich video for cake depot???...lol..Well I thought a closeup will show better the center! icon_razz.gif ...lol
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:32am
post #16 of 22

my bad...cakesuppliesdepot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEw0L1WChF8&feature=related

at 9.99, that ain't bad at all! Even a cheapass like myself might dish out that much for a dvd....

all4cake Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:34am
post #17 of 22

initial post didn't show up icon_redface.gif

tonedna Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:19am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

my bad...cakesuppliesdepot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEw0L1WChF8&feature=related

at 9.99, that ain't bad at all! Even a cheapass like myself might dish out that much for a dvd....

lol..Im guessing she is not going into details..
Edna icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:34am
post #19 of 22

not on the youtube video, but surely on the dvd, right? on the youtube video, it looks like she's completing quite a few, and quite pretty(love that miniature orchid looking one!) flowers but the video is edited in such a way that ...I reckon, if I took the time, I could splice it to where I could make out a flower or two....one (this one anyway) can't make heads or tails of it. I'd be having freaky flowers if I tried to follow her in the youtube video. Surely, it ain't like that on the actual dvd that's for sale on that site, eh? You know something you ain't sharing? Spill it!

I have the honor of creating a cake(whatever I choose) for a woman's 100th birthday celebration in 2 weeks. Filler flowers would be a wonderful addition to the design but I must admit I have had the worst luck with them resembling even an ugly flower and my patience is minimal with 'em too...the lil' f-ers are annoying! I am hoping that tomorrow's UPS delivery will help me a bit....should contain a pad or two with the holes(heck, I don't even remember the name of 'em (maybe cel pads or mexican hat pads or witches hat pads or hole-y pads)or how to use 'em but I'm gonna give it my best shot)

mindy1204 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:12pm
post #20 of 22

Thank you all very much for the suggestions. I will just keep playing with them until I get something even close the Ednas. I will practice practice practice!

mindy1204 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:13pm
post #21 of 22

Thank you all very much for the suggestions. I will just keep playing with them until I get something even close the Ednas. I will practice practice practice!

tonedna Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:12pm
post #22 of 22

You work it mindy!... I promise practice will help!

Let me see what I can do all4cake. Right now I am out of town and unable to film.
Then going home for 9 weddings.. I am slow at my tutorials but I keep adding as I can.
I have 2 that I have to edit still!..So stay tuned!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%