I was wondering if I can get some clarification from those who make multicolor-rainbow looking cakes. I went through several old threads but could not find the answers to the questions I have. Thanks you all in advance:
1. Can I use a scratch recipe or is mix (WASC) prefered for that kind of cakes?
2. How much color do I actually use? Does the color darkens or lightens while baking?
3. Does the cake have the color aftertaste?
4. Are there specific colors that look better, mix better than others?
I'm not planning on mixing colors within the same layer, just have the cake that each layer is different color. Thanks in advance, P
1) i have only done it with scratch cakes.
2) i just keep adding til it looks right. some colours go funny - blue in a yellow cake will go more green.
3) not that i ever noticed.
4) i did it will liquid colours, havent tried the gels. but the liquid mixed in really easy.
Thank you, so does it bake the same color the batter was or darker, lighter?
its been a while since ive done it, but i think the cake cake out a bit paler.