Would You Or Wouldn't You?

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 11:00pm by cylstrial

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 26

I don't sell cakes. I don't have anything online anywhere about selling cakes...because I don't sell them. I do have pictures of my cakes posted a few places because I do like to show off icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

Anyhow, I got a message on myspace from someone who wants a cake...a 3 tiered fondant cake for his baby's 1st birthday next weekend. I wrote back telling him that I don't sell cakes and suggesting a couple of people in town who I know who do sell cakes. He replied saying that everyone said they needed more notice and that he couldn't find anyone to make it and is there any way that I could?

I promised my husband that I would take a month off from baking after I finished our friend's wedding cake. I'm one week into that month. I also don't have anything planned...done with school shopping, not going on vacation until the week after, etc...and I would really like to make another tiered cake to add to my portfolio.

So if you were me, would you do it?

25 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 26

I would do it if I knew him. If it's a stranger...I'm not sure I would.

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 26

I don't know him and he just joined myspace yesterday. I looked him up from his email and he has a cell phone business here in town.

tamiscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamiscakes Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 26

i wouldn't do it. it just sounds like a set up to me. Guess i am not very trusting.

tamiscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamiscakes Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 26

i wouldn't do it. it just sounds like a set up to me. Guess i am not very trusting. did he just realize that he had a child that needed a cake ?????? i mean come on its the childs First birthday ......kinda a big deal. you don't wait till the last minute to plan that !

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 26

Get his CASH up front, meet him somewhere else or have someone home with you, since you want to do it.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 26

Sounds like something a guy would do (please guys, I know not all of you are like that icon_wink.gif ) to wait last minute, BUT you DO NOT know him. And I don't know, it just seems a little strange just to find someone on my space with pictures & ask if they'll make a cake. Not to mention you PROMISED to take a month off. Though I totally understand wanting to make the cake, I think you should stick to your promise.

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm
post #8 of 26

if it wasnt a life or death situation or "family" event cake emergency...

my promise to my husband would hold firm, a strangers emergency negotiations not an option. icon_wink.gif

missymayflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missymayflower Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 26

If you promised your husband you would take some time off, keep that promise!!! If it was your best friend or someone in your family, then maybe, but this sounds fishy.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:27pm
post #10 of 26

Have you mentioned it to your husband? If so, what does he say? If he doesn't want you to, I wouldn't since the grief husbands can give is not fun to live with! icon_smile.gif And if you do decide to, I would definitely get the cash up front. And be sure to charge enough to make it worth your time!

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 26

If I didn't know the guy, I'd stay away. He just happened on your pictures and decided to order a cake from you? I don't trust this situation.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:33pm
post #12 of 26

Texas_Rose:

Quote:
Quote:

I don't sell cakes. I don't have anything online anywhere about selling cakes...

I think I'd run from this one. Don't compromise yourself for a stranger. You are on holidays. Relax & enjoy. Experiment with something new & different for yourself & your family if you want to, but I certainly would not do something for some stranger who found your pictures online.

qubanqtee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qubanqtee Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:34pm
post #13 of 26

this sounds like a scam, there have been several posts on here about this, I believe the myspace guy would send you more than you're charging and then ask you to send back the difference and thereby embroiling you in money laundering...it all seems innocent, but you're the one to take the fall.

You made a promise, you're portfolio can wait until next time

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:13pm
post #14 of 26

I would be a bit skeptical.....what mom lets the DAD do the 1st birthday cake ordering??? (that is a red flag to me)

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:21pm
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I would be a bit skeptical.....what mom lets the DAD do the 1st birthday cake ordering??? (that is a red flag to me)

Think it's a cultural thing, from the man's name...

But I am going to tell him no, and give him the link to the website of a local baker who I really dislike icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:23pm
post #16 of 26

Sounds fishy to me too........I wouldn't feel comfortable taking an order on myspace from a complete stranger. Especially since you don't sell cakes and you live in TX where you guys are all trying to get the Cottage Law passed. Just not worth it.

You'll get other "safe" opportunities to expand your portfolio.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:23pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:

One who doesn't have custody of the child?

I'm with everybody else, though. You don't know this guy, you don't know why he's asking you, you don't even know if he really has a kid. Maybe he's trying to set you up for a meeting so he can get into your house and case the joint. Maybe he's a rapist. Maybe he's from the HD and he's checking to make sure that you really don't sell cakes. Maybe, as others have said, he's trying to get you to launder money. Maybe he really is just a desperate dad.

You just don't know, so tell him you're sorry, you only do cakes for family and friends, and he should watch Sandra Lee's video on stacking supermarket cakes if he wants a three-tiered cake. You're safer that way, and your husband will be MUCH happier.

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:28pm
post #18 of 26

Glad you said you weren't going to do it. My advice was going to be, "Run!"

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:38pm
post #19 of 26

in defense of a mom that would let the Dad do the ordering....we dont know the many possibilities of why a Dad would be ordering it. Maybe Mom is illl, maybe Mom is not there.

I would let & trust my husband order it anyday, any time. He has good taste. In fact, one of our children's birthdays, I remember I was ill at the time a bday cake was needed, hubby ordered one for me. That child is now 32 and not a emotional scar from it. lol.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:42pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Quote:

Maybe so, I am naive - I would think both parents celebrate a childs birthday together....sorry. icon_redface.gif

In that case, I guess it is just a red flag for me.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm
post #21 of 26
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe so, I am naive - I would think both parents celebrate a childs birthday together....sorry. icon_redface.gif

Don't feel bad Loucinda, I'm still trying to get used to these "new age" families too.

It's difficult to adjust my thinking since I had parent's that were married 65 yrs before they died and in-laws that are married almost 50.

My family is fortunate I realize that, you probably have the same type of family. thumbs_up.gif Naive? No! Lucky? YES!!! icon_biggrin.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:51pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, it's just that there are lots of reasons why Daddy might be ordering the cake, ranging from "Mom walked out on the family and hasn't been seen since" to "Mom died" to "Mom asked Dad to take care of it while she was in Iraq" to "Dad just wants to be the one to take care of it for his little man." I picked one and went with it in my previous post.

Red flags to ME would be, "I don't know you but I'm asking you anyway, even though you don't do this as a business" and "I can't get one from elsewhere," as a combination. Heck, in my last of "maybes" above, I guess I didn't even include "Maybe he was such a PITA that his last bakery told him to go to he!!"

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:58pm
post #23 of 26

I'm a little wary. I had someone email me (from overseas) and say that they desperately needed a weeding cake within a week. They would send someone over to pick it up and look after the delivery, all I had to do was take the cash out of their credit card for myself and the delivery guy. Well, I luckily was suspicious from the beginning and did some research. Turned out that, when the money is withdrawn from the credit card you would need to pay it all back. So not only do they get something like $3,000 from you but they also get a free wedding cake.

Just be careful IMHO.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 9:23pm
post #24 of 26

There are lots of places than can do a 3-tier cake in a week's notice. Heck, we have a bakery in town that advertises they accept wedding cake orders 24 hours before the wedding! So for someone to just pick a person from Facebook and practically beg you to make it ..... icon_confused.gif

My first thought wasn't a scam, but someone from the health dept wanting to see if you were operating illegally.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 9:43pm
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My first thought wasn't a scam, but someone from the health dept wanting to see if you were operating illegally.

That was my first thought too! There is no way someone legit is going to contact you on Myspace that doesn't know you and ask you to make a cake...

Go private on the Myspace page girl , friends & fam only! Keeps the weirdos & spys out! ahahha icon_cool.gif

As for Dads ordering cakes. My 10 year old niece lives with her Dad because my sister is a useless POS! He is a great dad so he calls me to order her cake and his other childs cake every year... Of course My niece gets her cake free icon_lol.gif But any other cakes he orders he orders early and pays early!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:00pm
post #26 of 26

LOL Texas! You're going to send him to a baker that you don't like. Hehe! Hope that person isn't on CC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%