Sparkling Cake

Decorating By sudsy Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm by TexasSugar

sudsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sudsy Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 16

Please help! What medium to I use for the most sparking cake... Americolor pearl, or what else would make the cake glisten and sparke more. Would like to use the airbrush with it. Thanks for your help ASAP.

15 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 16

Is this a white cake? What are you trying to achieve?.. Fondant or buttercream?
Edna

sudsy Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 16

The cake will be buttercream. I just want it to glisten and sparkle when light is on it. I have the spray pearl but it does not shine quite as much as I would like. Thank you Edna. I love your work. You are my inspiration on many cakes. Thanks again.

tonedna Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 16

If you have an airbrush you can use the airbrush pearlized color. If you dont, there is a company that sells a can of pearl spray that looks almost like an airbrush.
Dust wont work on buttercream, only over fondant.
Hope this helps, thanks so much for the complements!
Edna icon_smile.gif

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 16

i've used white sanding sugar on buttercream and it sparkled beatifully. i just pressed it into the buttercream lightly.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 16

I'd use sanding sugar with those edible glittery things.

sudsy Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:44am
post #7 of 16

Thanks everyone.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:52am
post #8 of 16

When I used to use a crusting BC, I would dust it with luster...worked nicely. I used a big poofy blush brush (new of course)

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:14am
post #9 of 16

I've sprinkled edible white glitter on cakes and it looks nice and sparkly.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:26am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Why don't they?? icon_confused.gif

I have airbrushed pearl dust and luster dust (mixed with everclear) on buttercream cakes. I've even dry dusted the top of one buttercream cake with luster dust.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:28am
post #11 of 16

I think they have white luster dust? It would be shinier than pearl, or you could mix the two. Actually, I have added nusilver luster dust (powder) to pearl dust (powder) mixed with alcohol and sprayed it on with the airbrush and it was nice and sparkly! I don't like the pre-made silver airbrush spray as much, it's too wet, using the alcohol makes it dry more quickly and doesn't affect the BC as much.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:30am
post #12 of 16

Also, you can get a shaker of this: http://www.pastrychef.com/RAINBOW-SPARKLES_p_1550.html

I love this stuff...very prismatic, rainbowish and catches the light like diamonds.

tonedna Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:16pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:

Why don't they?? icon_confused.gif

I have airbrushed pearl dust and luster dust (mixed with everclear) on buttercream cakes. I've even dry dusted the top of one buttercream cake with luster dust.

I am not talking with an airbrush..I have done it like that too! icon_rolleyes.gif ..I meant in a dry stage where you only use the powder dry and a brush. And is not that it can't be done, I just dont like how uneven it can be..
Edna icon_smile.gif

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:37pm
post #14 of 16

Wilton makes a product I think you are looking for. It is called Cake Sparkles. I found it in the cupcake section. They are like small flakes of glistening sugar. Not as fine as a luster dust. More like mini mirror flakes or like mica. Beautiful and can look very nice. I used the navy color for a solar system cake to add sparkle to the cake. It is more sparkle than luster.

Dessert_Diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dessert_Diva Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:54pm
post #15 of 16

Be careful with the timing, however. I used the Wilton cake sparkles for a snowflake cake...put it on in the morning before work and by the time the office Christmas party started 4 hours later they had dissolved into the buttercream and yes, it was refrigerated.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:

I am not talking with an airbrush..I have done it like that too! icon_rolleyes.gif ..I meant in a dry stage where you only use the powder dry and a brush. And is not that it can't be done, I just dont like how uneven it can be..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Ahhh okay, read it wrong before.

I've dusted them on dry, it can be done, but like you said it can be uneven and you have to have a very light touch.

I'd much rather pull out the airbrush. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%