Stained Floor Look.....please Help

Decorating By lisa78332 Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 3:04am by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:24am
post #1 of 11

Is it possible to get the stained floor look on buttercream? Need to make a bowling lane, but friend doesn't like fondant. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated...ty!

10 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 11

If you have an airbrush, you can spray yellow, then brown. That's all I got. icon_smile.gif

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 11

You could try an icing sheet or rice paper maybe

lisa78332 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 11

okay, i talked to my friend again. She'll do the fondant because she wants the look of wood. I don't have an airbrush. So, how do i color the fondant??

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 11

I cut the fondant to the correct size, let it dry and then used sherry mixed with the brown gel food coloring and painted it on. let it dry and then added some other colors like black to age and fill in the lines i had made for the cracks in the boards etc.

see my pictures for the cake with the fishing dock. i thought it looked like wood.
LL

leslie2748 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslie2748 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 11

The way you get this look is to take half white, half light brown fondant. Make a log of each, then twist the two together. Roll the twist flat. What you are trying to do is marble the white and brown together, dont do this so much that it looks like one color. Then , put it on your cake, and paint the entire surface with a mixture of 2 tbsp vodka and 1 drop brown food coloring. You can adjust the color by darkening the paint, if youd like, to make it darker.
This is from Confetti Cakes, which I have used a ton and achieved excellent effects with. Good luck!

leslie2748 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 11

The way you get this look is to take half white, half light brown fondant. Make a log of each, then twist the two together. Roll the twist flat. What you are trying to do is marble the white and brown together, dont do this so much that it looks like one color. Then , put it on your cake, and paint the entire surface with a mixture of 2 tbsp vodka and 1 drop brown food coloring. You can adjust the color by darkening the paint, if youd like, to make it darker.
This is from Confetti Cakes, which I have used a ton and achieved excellent effects with. Good luck!

leslie2748 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 11

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:05am
post #9 of 11

To color my bowling alley floors (in my pics), I mixed brown and yellow airbrush color, then applied it with a 1-1/2" chip brush held sideways so it made narrow strokes. Oh yeah, my base fondant color was gold (Americolor Gold gel)

As you go over the 'paint', the brush naturally creates the streaks you want. Once the color stops beading, stop brushing or you might mess up the fondant.

If you don't have airbrush colors, you can thin paste or gel colors with a little clear alcohol.

lisa78332 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:52am
post #10 of 11

I'll try these techniques and hopefully get the look I want. Thanks for all the hints and tips.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:04am
post #11 of 11

I simply used a small bit of vodka and some brown Wilton food colouring placed on a small plate. Dip your brush into the vodka (brush off excess), tab into the food colouring (brush of excess), and apply to fondant. Stop and start and different intervals to get a proper board floor look.

Here's the one I did. The one 'board' looks darker because I forgot to dab off the excess, and it was too heavy on the brush.

HTH! Good Luck. icon_smile.gif
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%