Silver Color

Decorating By evern83 Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 12:29am by indydebi

evern83 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:46am
post #1 of 10

Hi all,
I am hoping someone can help me with this. I am making a cake for a police academy graduation and the wife wants me to make her husbands badge. How do I get that shiny silver color I have seen on some of the cakes here? I have some luster dust that I have used before but it didn't seem rich enough in color. I need to order the supplies so any quick responses would be appreciated.

9 replies
Rylan Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:52am
post #2 of 10

Highlighter dust, which I believe shouldn't be consumed or you can use those airbrush colors.

nicolesprinkle Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:04am
post #3 of 10

I just use the Wilton Pearl Dust because I can get it at my local hobby store mixed with some Vodka or clear vanilla. I used it on my Fire Truck Cake!

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=1B002240-423B-522D-F6C386AABC28C24A
LL

DianeLM Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 10

Definitely highlighter dust. It will give the best, non-streaky metallic look.

It's labeled non-edible, but my customers and family eat it anyway. icon_smile.gif

KathleenR Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 10

I used the Wilton Silver Pearl Dust mixed with Lemon Extract for the first time a few weeks ago and was very pleased with the results.
I used it on my tools in this cake.
LL

indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 10

I had a cake yesterday that called for silver hearts. At the last minute, I discovered I was out of silver luster dust (the plan was to mix it with alcohol and paint the hearts). So I piped gray BC hearts, then painted it with pearl luster dust. It gave them a nice silver shimmery shine. Whew!!

Rylan Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 10

Yes, you can also have a black base and color it with silver/pearl luster dust.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:20am
post #8 of 10

I never seem to get a even look when i use the silver luster dust with vodka or other extracts/alcahol. I make grey fondant then use a fluffy brush (a full makeup brush works great) and cover the grey fondant with silver luster dust. It is even and much earsier.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:21am
post #9 of 10

I never seem to get a even look when i use the silver luster dust with vodka or other extracts/alcahol. I make grey fondant then use a fluffy brush (a full makeup brush works great) and cover the grey fondant with silver luster dust. It is even and much earsier.

indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:29am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

Oh! Oh! Oh! I bet I know what you're doing, because when I first started using it, I had the same problem! icon_surprised.gif

It's too thin. I mean, this stuff is expensive and basically I was trying to thin it down to make it last longer. I was wrong.

This last time, it was just slightly thinner than new nail polish. MUCH better coverage!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%