Bakugan... Awaiting Copyright Release Answer.

Business By kellertur Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 4:14pm by loriana

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:22am
post #1 of 3

I have a customer wanting a Bakugan cake for her sons birthday. I called/emailed and am going through the copyright procedure to keep things legal, but I probably won't hear back in time this week.

~ I'm not planning to do this cake without permission, but is there any creative way to make a base for the toy/figures? Until this week, I had no idea what Bakugan even was... She wants a sculpted cake, but I don't think it's happening...

I'd love to hear any creative solutions, please. (the way people do for Disney or Dora cakes... that's legal)?

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

2 replies
kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 3

I just remebered I have a Transformer's copyright release letter on file (customer cancelled right before release came through, so I held onto it).
It would be a waste not to use it at some point...

I'm going to see if maybe her son also like's Transformer's.. it's not the same thing, but maybe they like those toys too.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

I have a customer wanting a Bakugan cake for her sons birthday. I called/emailed and am going through the copyright procedure to keep things legal, but I probably won't hear back in time this week.

~ I'm not planning to do this cake without permission, but is there any creative way to make a base for the toy/figures? Until this week, I had no idea what Bakugan even was... She wants a sculpted cake, but I don't think it's happening...

I'd love to hear any creative solutions, please. (the way people do for Disney or Dora cakes... that's legal)?

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

Hey K2,

I just did a bakugan cake last week and also referred someone else to Kroger for a bakugan-type cake that I didn't have time to make. Bakugan is an easy one to do with licensed products. Here's why.. Bakugans are small enough to just mount ontop of a cake without any kind of dowelling needed and the decor can be simple.

I did an airbrushed cake with asterisk-shaped stars coming out here and there. In the middle of each "burst" I laid a Bakugan. I used one of the cards that came with the Bakugan and printed on white paper on the printer "Happy Birthday" and just used double-sided tape over a small portion of the card and propped it against the cake and cake board. The bonus is, the child got to keep the Bakugans, cards and the theme was legal and completely licensed since I bought them at store price.

Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%