?'s About Meringue Butter Cream

Decorating By giraffe11 Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 7:12pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

giraffe11 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:45am
post #1 of 9

I made my first meringue buttercream, chocolate. I loved the smoothness of it and it was tasty, but I am wondering two things.
1) Is there any way to make it taste a little less like whipped butter?
I understand that there's alot of butter in there, but it just seemed like a tiny bit "too" buttery. And that was with a strong chocolate taste to cover some of the butter. I can't imagine how it would've tasted if it was just vanilla.
2) How does it hold up in the heat? I'm guess ing not all that well, since it's mostly butter and butter melts. I just wondered if anyone has any experience with this.
Thanks for any help.

8 replies
drakegore Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 9

hi!

how much melted chocolate did you use in your buttercream (was it smbc or imbc?). for getting the most of out mbc, you do use a lot more flavoring than the ps buttercreams.

did you use unsalted butter? using salted butter usually makes the butter taste more pronounced and can negatively affect the flavor.

not the best performer for hot, hot weather but as long as it is not sitting outside in the heat, it holds up fairly well indoors...but it would not hold up as well as a shortening based buttercream in a comparison test for heat endurance.

diane

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 9

you can do a ratio of 2:1 (butter:shortening) if you wanna brave the heat. It worked for me.

also make sure you use UNsalted butter. makes a world of difference.

giraffe11 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:29am
post #4 of 9

I made an SMBC, 1 1/2 c sugar, 6 egg whites, 5 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, and 6 oz semisweet chocolate.
I made a vanilla one this morning with slightly different ratios, but similar. I'm just not completely sold on all of the butter......

How would you add shortening into it? T the same time as the butter? With the same technique?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:36am
post #5 of 9

hmm that's a lot of butter... this is the recipe I always use

4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
2 sticks butter

When I add shortening I use 1/3 cup shortening and 2/3 cups butter.

giraffe11 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:53am
post #6 of 9

What makes you decide to put shortnening in ,vs all butter? Do you do it for heat reasons? Taste reasons? Cost reasons? Just randomly?
Thanks

drakegore Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 9

your recipe is very similar to mine:

5 egg whites
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 lb unsalted butter (4 sticks)
pinch of salt
up to 1/4 cup plus 2 tbs flavoring

when i make chocolate smbc i use the full amount of flavoring.

while the ration of eggs to sugar is stays pretty consistent from recipe to recipe the amount of butter varies quite a bit. i like mine very much (but it is at the higher end of the spectrum...and you'll find that much butter in a lot of books on the market). it doesn't seem buttery to me, but taste is so frustratingly subjective icon_smile.gif . that said, lol, i think yours might have the highest ration of butter to eggs/sugar that i have seen.

you might like one or the lower butter recipes better (sorry, you probably figured that out already, lol).

diane

giraffe11 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for your help. I am going to try a different recipe tonight! I have to make cupcakes for the daycare. Kind of funny to waste SMBC on daycare toddlers, who would just as much like the American BC (or maybe prefer it!), but that is what I'm experimenting with, so that is what I am going to do. thumbs_up.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:12pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe11

What makes you decide to put shortnening in ,vs all butter? Do you do it for heat reasons? Taste reasons? Cost reasons? Just randomly?
Thanks

heat reasons. I live a stone's throw away from the equator and it gets really hot here at times.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%