Big Grand Opening...need Ideas

Business By rharris524 Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 3:13pm by OhMyGanache

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:43am
post #1 of 5

well, I'm up and running...whether I was ready or not, LOL...so, our 'soft' opening was Thursday and our big grand opening celebration will be next Sunday.

Here is the back ground for those of you who haven't been following my saga...A family friend opened a restaurant and bartered with me for use of his kitchen and his large-ish display case (4'x4'). So, with basically no advertisement (part of the agreement was that I start ASAP, which I hadn't planned on) I've been selling about a dozen jumbo cupcakes a day.

So, to get my name out there, I am planning an event next Sunday. We've sent out a press release, website, facebook, twitter, flyers, etc. I'm offering good deals as well as free samples (mini cupcakes in various flavors to be passed out like hors d'oeuvres). We'll have a clown for the kiddies and what not. Anyhow, I like the cupcakes but I'd prefer to do big cakes so, I wanted to have one or two on display. Any ideas on what I should have? What should I have out to help 'sell myself?' I was thinking of having a scrap book with some of my cakes that they could look through and some flyers...anything else that I'm not thinking of?

4 replies
Mom2Rebecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2Rebecca Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 5

I am very much a lurker here icon_redface.gif
I have read the idea about making cakes for a business. I work in a hospital and I can tell you, if you showed up where I work, you would get lots of orders. Can you find a large business in your area and make a great cake for them with lots of business cards on the display table?

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 5

Why not try doing a couple of mini cakes that you can show your skills.
Also try to think of something different that nobody else in your area does, something maybe kids would love (big seller) and affordabe to keep them coming back. Example cake pops different charactors ect. This is a big word of mouth business so be creative and good luck thumbs_up.gif

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 5

Why not try doing a couple of mini cakes that you can show your skills.
Also try to think of something different that nobody else in your area does, something maybe kids would love (big seller) and affordabe to keep them coming back. Example cake pops different charactors ect. This is a big word of mouth business so be creative and good luck thumbs_up.gif

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 5

Call up your local radio station and offer to do provide a daily birthday cupcake (or half a dozen or something) - or provide cupcakes for a weekly office party or something like that. You'll get free radio time in exchange for a few bucks in ingredients.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%