Can You Critique This Cake?

Decorating By mariak Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 6:19am by JanH

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:16am
post #1 of 16

I made this cake for a good friend who was ordained to the priesthood. I planned this cake for a long time and asked lots of questions and searched the galleries for ideas. It looked so good in my head but when I was finished it just didn't look as good as what I had imagined. I have caked that I have done that for some reason I don't like and I can't put my finger on what looks wrong to me. I would really appreciate other cakers eyes to tell me what I could have done to make this cake better. Don't worry about hurting my feelings. Any criticism is okay. I just want to make my cakes as good as they can be.
Just a little info on the cake. It is a 6,8,10,and a 12 inch chocolate with cookies and cream filling and white with strawberry filling iced in buttercream. I used a stencil for the scrolls and the drapery is MMF . The chalice and the lilies are gumpaste. Thanks for any tips.
LL

15 replies
rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:24am
post #2 of 16

I think that it looks great! The only thing...and it is a stretch...is that I think that the drapes are kind of 'skinny'

canuelas4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canuelas4 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:24am
post #3 of 16

I think it is beautiful! I don't see anything wrong with it.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:24am
post #4 of 16

absolutly beautiful! Great job

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:24am
post #5 of 16

The only thing I can see that you would want to work on is your fondant draping. I think with just a little more time playing with it you'll find out how to drape it without it looking too tight.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:25am
post #6 of 16

well... for goodness sakes.... it is gorgeous.. no bad stuff to say here.. great planning and ideas on it.. we are our worst critics...

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:26am
post #7 of 16

I think the cake looks beautiful. Its hard to see the scroll work in the pic but regardless great job! thumbs_up.gif

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:28am
post #8 of 16

i agree it is a stunning cake!!! of course EVERY thing can be improved upon, but i think is is breathtaking just like it is. if you wanted to change something i would agree the drapes are a bit skinny. too bad you can't hit print on the picture in your head, lol, than we would really know what you were trying for. other than making the drapes bigger i honestly cannot think of any thing else to imporve on it. once again, it is gorgeous icon_wink.gif

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:29am
post #9 of 16

I was thinking the same thing about the drapery. I was thinking they looked too thin, so maybe that is the problem.

yamber82 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:29am
post #10 of 16

i agree it is a stunning cake!!! of course EVERY thing can be improved upon, but i think is is breathtaking just like it is. if you wanted to change something i would agree the drapes are a bit skinny. too bad you can't hit print on the picture in your head, lol, than we would really know what you were trying for. other than making the drapes bigger i honestly cannot think of any thing else to imporve on it. once again, it is gorgeous icon_wink.gif

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:31am
post #11 of 16

Looks like the cake from CAKEBOSS the other night.

yamber82 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:36am
post #12 of 16

nother thing that is just a thought i had, but if you put it on a white board it might make the gold in the cake more impressive.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:36am
post #13 of 16

I have to admit when I 1st saw the pic I also thought 'something is missing' - maybe more flowers? But after reading the other replies I also think some work on the drapes would be the answer.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:38am
post #14 of 16

Beautiful cake. I have to agree, i think the only part i would improve on is the draping. I think if they were a bit wider it would soften them and make it more realistic. Otherwise great work.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:03am
post #15 of 16

I would also revise the the drapes. If that is the style you are going for then I would suggest you add more flowers and simplifying the texture on the cake.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:19am
post #16 of 16

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%