Royal Icing Vs Colorflow....whats The Difference In Them???

Decorating By millicente Updated 19 Jul 2009 , 4:10am by TexasSugar

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:48am
post #1 of 16

what is the difference?

15 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:33am
post #2 of 16

well pretty much thinned down royal icing is what you use to do colourflow icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:44am
post #3 of 16

Color flow mix and Meringue powder both contain egg whites but also have other items in them.

According to Wilton Color Flow pieces will dry harder and will be more shiny than Royal icing.

Personally I use royal icing for the technique cause I don't do them often enough to keep color flow mix on hand. I haven't had any problems using the royal icing, and have even done a piece that was 8 inches big.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:44am
post #4 of 16

Royal icing is made usually with meringue powder, sugar & liquid. It dries hard and has a dull finish.

ColorFlo is made usually with ColorFlow mix - which is *pure* egg white, sugar & liquid. It dries very hard and has a more shiny finish.

Either can be used to make 'run sugar' (aka: flow in) pieces - what Wilton calls Color Flo - by thinning it down with additional liquid. Royal from meringue powder really is not as strong as mp contains starches, sugars, and other ingredients that dilute the strength of the dried egg whites.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #5 of 16

well how about that you learn something new everyday i thought royal icing is all you used. Well i think it's best to completely ignore what i said lol

millicente Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 16

THANK U ALL

millicente Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 16

THANK U ALL

peacebear07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacebear07 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:14am
post #8 of 16

i just recently have started my cake making hobby and and trying to learn all of the tips and product choices without going broke so my question is simple what would u use royal icing or colorflow to make on a cake...flowers? letters? just wondering whats best for decorating

peacebear07 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:16am
post #9 of 16

i just recently have started my cake making hobby and and trying to learn all of the tips and product choices without going broke so my question is simple what would u use royal icing or colorflow to make on a cake...flowers? letters? just wondering whats best for decorating

peacebear07 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:16am
post #10 of 16

peacebear07 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:19am
post #11 of 16

peacebear07 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:20am
post #12 of 16

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:58am
post #13 of 16

Royal icing is used for making flowers and decorations you want to dry hard and have shape, like a tiara.

Color Flow is a Wilton technique, also referred to as a run in. It is something that is piped flat on wax paper and dried then can stand up on a cake. So you could use it for letters, numbers, or a picture you want do ahead of time and stand up on the cake.

You can use royal icing for the color flow technique with out any issues. icon_smile.gif

peacebear07 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:53pm
post #14 of 16

k i have a question i finished my cake and it looks ok the only problem is the main layer of icing is cracking ive already pur the piping and designs so i cant smooth it out i was just wondering what caused it and how to prevent it next time, any help??icon_sad.gif

peacebear07 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:55pm
post #15 of 16

k i have a question i finished my cake and it looks ok the only problem is the main layer of icing is cracking ive already pur the piping and designs so i cant smooth it out i was just wondering what caused it and how to prevent it next time, any help??icon_sad.gif

TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:10am
post #16 of 16

Do you have a picture of it? Did you pipe it on a hard surface and keep it there or did you more it with out a hard 'backing'?

I tape a plastic page protector to a cake board. I can slide my picture in the page protector and it keeps it all in place. The cake board allows me to move the piece around while it dries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%