Help Asap With Fondant For My First Topsy Turvy Please ? :)

Decorating By Chippi Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 5:22pm by UpAt2am

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:25am
post #1 of 14

I made colored MMF and I went to roll it out and it seems lil more like silly puddy but not quite as thin. When I rolled it out on my countertop with cornstarch under it, it still did not prevent it from sticking. icon_sad.gif I had to scrape it as I rolled it up on my fondant roller. Of course by the time I got my cake out of the freezer and sprayed it w/ water the fondant on the roller had began sticking to itself. I tore it all off the roller and needed it back in a ball. My cake is sitting here waiting to be cov. in fondant and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Should I need more PS in it to stiffen it up? I put 2 tablespoons of glycerine in it when I made it. Please helppppppppppp icon_smile.gif

Chippi

13 replies
Chippi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:59am
post #2 of 14

Anyone know? icon_sad.gif When I need it, in a few spots it rips and looks like a sponge sorta but once i add work crisco into it that dissappears, but i haven't needed to much crisco because I know it also will break it down. Any ideas CC'ers? I'm lost.

Chippi

Chippi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:06am
post #3 of 14

icon_sad.gif so frustrated with this MMF. anyone have any ideas again?

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:13am
post #4 of 14

maybe add a little more powdered sugar. I may get murdered for saying this, but once I had this happen and it would not take anymore powdered sugar, so I put it in the fridge for about an hour. It was a sauna in my house, but once I took it out of the fridge, it rolled out, I put it on my cake, and it was fine. I think that it was just too hot in my house, and it was melting the fondant.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:15am
post #5 of 14

when my mmf seems too sticky (sticking even after i've cornstarched or powder sugared the surface) then i add more powdered sugar and roll again! the good thing is if you add too much ps you can always add a little crisco to loosen it back up (or microwave it a few seconds). i saw a recipe today on here that made fondant out of crisco, corn syrup and powdered sugar. seems easier than mmf and i'm going to make some soon and see if it's better! good luck...sorry you're having such a tough time. i've totally been there!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:16am
post #6 of 14

i am sorry this is happening to you.. i wish i could help you.. someone will see this shortly and help you.. i make mmf at times.. but just for cookies.. i used satin ice last week end. and did not like that.. it looked like elephant skin on one area.. which happened to be on the front. haven,t posted picture yet. it is a wii cake.. be patient and someone will see this.. i feel sure..

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:53am
post #7 of 14

Sorry you are having so much trouble...

I would knead in some more powdered sugar ..

I usually roll my fondant out on a large piece of vinyl that has been sprayed with PAM.(Sometimes sandwiched between 2 pieces) once I get it to the size I need I lift the whole piece of vinyl flip it over onto the cake then pull the vinyl off the fondant.

Chippi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:10am
post #8 of 14

I finally got it to work! Only problem is I have PS white spots here and there anyone know how to get them off? I brushed them with a brush but still have quite a bit more to get off. The fondant was royal blue.

mrscromer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscromer Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:21am
post #9 of 14

take a little piece of mmf and rub on the surface of the area you want the PS to disappear. Should take care of it.

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:32am
post #10 of 14

i sometiems roll my mmf out using crisco to keep it from sticking rahter than cornstarch or ps. that works perfectly fine. and btw it's "knead" not "need" lol... sorry icon_smile.gif

JaimeAnn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:49am
post #11 of 14

You can take a paper towel with a little crisco on it and rub the surface to get rid of any PS residue, then take a dry paper toel and rub away the glossiness.

Chippi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:55am
post #12 of 14

Thank you alllllllllll soooo much! It worked perfect! It is now sitting in the fridge waiting for the next tier. I am gonna do them in the morning! I will have to kneed (knead> for yamber lol) some more PS in the next colors also. I just wanna say THANKS EVERYONE! I was really gonna give up after the 4th try. You all are wonderful!

Chippi

PS I'll post a pic sometime tomorrow so you can see my first topsy turvy lol.

JaimeAnn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:18am
post #13 of 14

Cool... looking forward too seeing it, I am doing my first topsy turvy this week.

I may be asking you for some pointers... icon_smile.gif

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:22pm
post #14 of 14

no problem! most of the CCers are here to help when needed! Here's my first topsy turvy...did it a few weeks ago. i am thrilled at how it came out!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%