Don't Leave Cake Uncovered

Decorating By sunshine_n_pc Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 4:13am by madgeowens

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:05am
post #61 of 103

I would probably do the same as the OP, depending on the amount of cat chewing (the pictures aren't showing up for me) and how well I knew the cat. I am not saying that I would sell the cake if I were a professional baker. I am not saying that I would let pets and children frolic in the buttercream if I were a licensed home baker. But personally, it wouldn't really bother me to eat the part of the cake that was untouched. I would probably decline the punch if the cat had been drinking out of the bowl.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:18am
post #62 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

I would probably do the same as the OP, depending on the amount of cat chewing (the pictures aren't showing up for me) and how well I knew the cat.

How well I knew the cat.... hahaha That just cracked me up! No strange Cat spit for me.. Hahhahahahahahahhahah

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:35pm
post #63 of 103

I hate when you are the last one to come along and the darn pictures have disappeared! icon_cry.gificon_mad.giftapedshut.gif Where are the pictures?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:13pm
post #64 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingoodies

I hate when you are the last one to come along and the darn pictures have disappeared! icon_cry.gificon_mad.giftapedshut.gif Where are the pictures?

I think the OP may have deleted them.......can't say that I blame her after the way this one turned on her, the poor thing!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:11am
post #65 of 103

wow. and there are some threads about people asking for help and no replies. i wish i could ask a controversial question to get these many replies. lol

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:18pm
post #66 of 103

I actually had the total opposite happen to me one time. My daughter and I were going to church one morning and she forgot to let the cat out before we left. I had a small cake done and in a box ready for a customer/friend for the afternoon. I put the cake in the dining room, because my bakery was a total mess and I was planning on cleaning it that afternoon. Cat got into the box and ate the entire top off the cake. My friend wanted me to just cut the top off and level it, and then re-ice it, when I called her that afternoon to tell her what had happened! lol I about died! I said no way! Garbage can it goes! I made her another one for the next day. So......sometimes, it can be not the baker, but the cake eater! lol Geez.....lighten up people! THere are worst things in this world! Think about it!

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:40pm
post #67 of 103

If people only knew what went on in restuarants (including the five star fancy ones) and not everyone has the highest standard of hygiene they would not eat out again.

You guys need to lighten up. This was for a family cake, people had the right to refuse it. The kids get more germs from playing around on the floor.

Our kids used to try to eat cat biscuits from the cat bowl when they thought no one was looking.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:46pm
post #68 of 103

I could not see the pictures of the cakes. I am sorry this happened to you.

I think if that had been me this happened to, (even though I don't own any pets and would never have eaten the cake if you had offered it to me), I would have told the story and displayed the cake you worked on, but I would have purchased a cake to serve at the party. Just my opinion.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:59pm
post #69 of 103

I did not carefully read every post--but this thread is a very sad thing. This was a new poster with a big heart who has been shunned in some ways.

That's cold and ugly and I'm ashamed of us.

This was a brand new poster who recently adopted three children and was inspired to create a beautiful cake to celebrate the first birthday as a family. What a beautiful amount of creative juice. What a lovely person.

What is the matter with us.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:18pm
post #70 of 103

First - welcome to CC

Second - Funny

Third - I wouldn't have eaten the cake. I'm a sanitary freak. Gag.

Fourth - Given that the pets were OK and I can't see the pictures, are you sure it wasn't just your husband, dressed as a cat, who got into the cake? Check the security cameras. You'll see.

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:22pm
post #71 of 103

I just joined here a couple of months ago. I thought it was the greatest place. I have been saddened recently to see how hateful everyone (not everyone, just general terms) has been to each other. I was spending lots of time on CC, but now I find myself logging on less and less. The OP just thought she was telling an amusing story and look what happened. I'm quite sure she won't be back. Sad.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:45pm
post #72 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephi1

I just joined here a couple of months ago. I thought it was the greatest place. I have been saddened recently to see how hateful everyone (not everyone, just general terms) has been to each other. I was spending lots of time on CC, but now I find myself logging on less and less. The OP just thought she was telling an amusing story and look what happened. I'm quite sure she won't be back. Sad.

Steph, I could not agree more--and by the looks of your avatar--
surely that pitiful creature was one that didn't get any cake. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:54pm
post #73 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephi1

The OP just thought she was telling an amusing story ....

Anytime there is a pet vs food story, we get all kinds of views and opinions. Hubby and I were talking about this story and in our view, it was an amusing story if the cake hadn't been served and emergency cakes from walmart were served instead. In our view, eating after an animal is just gross and disgusting. In our view, a pet, a kid, an elderly aunt who tastes the cake with their finger (or whatever) is an amusing story ..... if the remaining food is then handled with proper sanitary sense.

I was raised in a home where the #1 sin was mistreating an animal, so I know how people can feel about their pets. (When our puppy escaped from the house and got hit by a car, I cried for 3 days!) What I find is that pet owners tend to view their pets differently than "just an animal", and I truly understand how that evolves.

I can understand how pet owners can think, in their view, that eating the part of the cake NOT touched by the pet would be ok, and how the story would be funny ..... mostly to other pet owners who may have experienced the same thing.

I own a dog and 2 birds, and I find the story humorous .... until the cake was offered to guests. In my view, that was gross.

And multiple views just has to be expected when posting on a forum this size. And multple contrary views have to be expected when many of us deal with health dept rules, food safety issues, and proper sanitary practices.

Yes, I find it a humorous story. Yes, I find it wrong to serve the cake anyway. But there's a reason health dept rules forbid animals in a kitchen.

As I think someone pointed out earlier, with so many states trying to get home bakeries licensed, these kinds of stories lend fuel to the fire as to why it's such a hard battle. It doesn't matter if this story was for a sold cake or not ... it's the home baker's practices that are remembered.

Just some points to ponder, in my view.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm
post #74 of 103

Wow, welcome to CC. icon_biggrin.gif

Please don't stress about this thread. I know it's disheartening, but this is a public forum and there are no guarantees as to what kind of reply you will get.

First off, I am seriously surprised. I had no idea that cats loved to eat sweet stuff. I have never owned a cat, so I had no clue. I thought they were picky eaters, I thought it was just dogs that would wolf down anything. LOL.

I think you're a devoted mom who wanted to give her child a special cake and fun memories, well you certainly got that! I don't think you'll ever forget that birthday. LOL. I think it would be a fun one to scrapbook and journal about. These are YOUR precious family memories, nobody can take that from you. thumbs_up.gif

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:05pm
post #75 of 103

Well at least her guest and her cats had something in commom...They all were coughing up hairballs that night icon_lol.gif

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm
post #76 of 103

Oops, forgot to share a pet story.

I knew of a lady who loved to eat cake batter, not baked cake. She would make up a cake mix and use a spoon and eat it out of the bowl. Well, her dog liked to eat it too. OH yes, you see where I am going with this story...she FED the toothless poodle cake batter off of the same spoon she was eating it with. icon_confused.gif And yes, she was very attached to this dog and called it her "baby".

I would have never believed my friend's story, had I not been at her home to witness it for myself. tapedshut.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:12pm
post #77 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc23

I feel your pain... I apparently have a cat who is so into cake that he will eat through, and including, plastic wrap to get to a freshly baked cake. I learned the hard way during graduation cake season.. when I woke up to two of my baked, but thankfully not yet decorated, cakes missing chunks. Who knew a cat could eat so much cake?

Unfort i couldnt see the cake pics, Im sure it was lovley icon_smile.gif And we all have mishaps time to time. it must be a thing with moggies, i once made several pies ( i know, a little off topic ) i left out an apple pie, And a meat pie. it was only for an hour or so, and when i came back, unbeknown to me, some one had let the cat in the kitchen, Guess which pie the cat ate? Yup, the apple pie, Completely chewed through the crust and ate the majority of the apple inside, And hadent even touched the meat!!! I think my moggies love cake as much as mee icon_smile.gif

chyana66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chyana66 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:18pm
post #78 of 103

In a place where creativity, artistry, and talent flourish, respect, humour, tolerance and consideration are sadly lacking. IMHO icon_sad.gif

To OP, love the story, I don't know if I would have eaten the cake but I thank you for sharing and regret the price you have paid for your effort. Hope you stick around....wish I could have seen the pics so I could have enjoyed the moment with you! Sounds like you had a great party afterall and now have a lifelong memory of your day icon_smile.gif

Take care...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:23pm
post #79 of 103

For those who didn't see the pics, she did an AWESOME job on the cake!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:04pm
post #80 of 103

I saw the photo, and cannot believe a cat did that....cats do not eat THAT much....it looks like that cat played in it...or sat on it...but really to me it looked like someone put a fist in it.....its a shame that her cake was ruined, but unthinkable to serve it to ANYONE....what kind of comments did she think she would get from that post? SOme were "catty" and unfinnessesful but no reason to pick up baking toys and go home....lighten up and then grow up is my advice and move on. Happy decorating all and welcome!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 9:40pm
post #81 of 103

On the essentials, unity
on the non-esentials, liberty
and in all things, charity.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:54am
post #82 of 103

k8memphis - you have a beautiful spirit - keep up the good work - levity doesn't seem to be working.

nelikate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelikate Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:59am
post #83 of 103

To the OP i thought your cake was amazing. Im sorry about the cat and about the comments you have received. As a newbie i look up to the "old timers" on this site, their experience in the cake industry, their experience in dealing with customers and family/friends when making cakes, and the tips they share with us newbies.

Dont give up on cake making and dont give up on this site. Re post your pictures people do want to see them. And for you looking back on your first photos as you grow as a cake maker is a good way to pat yourself on the back for the journey you have taken.

This topic has gotten off point and have resulted in a general discussion on pets and people getting into cakes uninvited. It is not a direct attack on you, even if it feels that way.

I wish you all the best in your cake making journey and your new family. Remember you only have to please and answer to yourself and your loved ones.

Nel

PS. I meant old timers as long time CC members not old people =)

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:03am
post #84 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I did not carefully read every post--but this thread is a very sad thing. This was a new poster with a big heart who has been shunned in some ways.

That's cold and ugly and I'm ashamed of us.

This was a brand new poster who recently adopted three children and was inspired to create a beautiful cake to celebrate the first birthday as a family. What a beautiful amount of creative juice. What a lovely person.

What is the matter with us.

Well I did just spend about 20 minutes or so reading the entire thread up to your post k8memphis. I stopped at yours because it made the most sense...and up to your post I was totally shamed.

Believe it or not OP...this actually IS a great place to come and share information, stories, ideas and the such but we DO get a little flared up sometimes. What REALLY matters is that your little angels will have one hilarious and heartfelt memory of mom trying her hardest to make their special day even more special. I didn't see your pics (I'd remove them too with the mini riot that has started lol) but I'm sure it was beautiful.

edited to add: Please don't let this one issue run you away....welcome to CC and Happy Caking!!!

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:12am
post #85 of 103

I think Indydebi hit the nail right on the head. No one was trying to attack and it wasn't a mini riot. Everyone expressed their thoughts on the matter. We are allowed to do that aren't we? Some people with pets think very highly of them like one of the family. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with animals allowed the roam and lick over food and then it's served to quests or family. Bottom line, yes it was funny but what wasn't funny to me was that she chose to still serve the cake and not toss it. Just my opinion.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:06am
post #86 of 103

I agree steplite

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:34pm
post #87 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by steplite

... No one was trying to attack and it wasn't a mini riot.

Maybe so.

But if it was me got those replies I woulda felt attacked. As a new poster, as she was, it would have made me delete my photos and go away, as she has.

Next time, starting a new post could be a solution to the potential of making someone inadvertently feel unwelcome.

It's an intriguing subject. I have a friend who's cat licked a cake for a customer...

But I still think it was ill advised to put the greater debate onto her thread. It's a good debate but it created a jr high feel to it in some cases.

When you get into the op's head and she did this sugar creation for her new munchkin out of her heart and then we go off in a debate about a detail.

Nobody maybe tried on purpose to run her off but we did anyhow maybe.

A separate post could be considered next time the cat gets a sugar rush as an aside to such a supremely wonderful occasion and mini caketastrophe.

Sure sure we all need to be grown ups with our armor fastened securely on but clearly she had her heart wide open all things considered. She wanted to share her work not get made to feel like she got made to feel.

We shoulda expressed our thoughts on the gist of her post & started a new one about the debate.

I think we din just rain on her parade--we cat boxed it.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:11pm
post #88 of 103

It was a family celebration.
The family chose to eat the cake knowing the situation.

The Mom worked her brains out to create a beautiful cake to celebrate the birth of a newly adopted child--the cake got tragically destroyed. The family recognized the supreme and beautiful effort and the dashed hopes of the little kid--maybe being an orphan there were other dashed hopes--possibly lots of hopes deferred.

The child had been the center of attention, elated
--maybe never had sucha cake before
--then was crushed as the cake was destroyed
--they ate the damned cake to celebrate that orphan child's big day
and we gotta stop saying it was wrong.

Please.

We've all eaten dirt as children--get over yerselves.

Generally speaking should we serve recycled animal feed cake?
Probably not. Although it's a deep subject worthy of much consideration.

In this case??? Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo Bravo
Slice me up a big pice I'll celebrate with yah, CakeBuddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cakelover4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelover4ever Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:21pm
post #89 of 103

This site is getting a bad rep for being snotty and catty (pardon the pun) .. I think I understand why .. my goodness
We all know there are decorators on here who are perfect, they tell us they are .. ha
I make my own cake .. one that a harried decorator with a bad cold or whatever has not touched... you jumped on the poor lady with the cat .. the one with the big heart who only makes personal cakes for her own family ....how do the customers know their cake hasn't been coughed or sneezed on by the decorator or a member of her family .. do you wear gloves 100% of the time .. if you don't are you meticulous with your cleanliness? Do you have to hurry and clean up before an inspection? I suspect there are good ones and bad ones ....even on this site........
When I have, in the past, ordered a cake from someone I don't know, I am at their mercy as to what "extras" I get with it..
I used to be proud to tell people I love this site and learn from it .. now I see what others on the internet are saying..

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:25pm
post #90 of 103

Well said k8memphis!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%