Help Me Please- Torting Issues

Decorating By Lenette Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 12:13am by kkitchen

Lenette Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 14

I am having issues torting my cakes. The layers will seem nice and even but when I go to put everything together there is always it's always uneven, lopsided or saggy.

It is really taking away from my cakes looking professional. Have any of you had to deal with this? Do you have any tips on torting and getting the tiers even after filling?

I really need help on this. Thanks!

13 replies
Charmed Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:27am
post #2 of 14

the best tool for torting is Agbay Cake Leveler. For torting a cake manually Here is an example using toothpicks to torte your cakes
:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4603926_torte-cake-toothpick-method.html

Lenette Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:05am
post #3 of 14

Thanks but I have an agbay. It is great! But when I assemble all the layers the tier is uneven.
IndyDebi had a good idea to mark a spot on the cake so it goes back in the same place.

miny Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:01am
post #4 of 14

Even with an agbay you get uneven cake layers? icon_confused.gif And there I was, thinking on buying one, if I'm gonna have the same problems that I have with my cheapy Wilton, I rather save me $200 bucks!

CakeandDazzle Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:10am
post #5 of 14

i think she is having problems will filling not cake layers... sorry no advice that i could possibly explain so you would understand icon_sad.gif

Lenette Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:10am
post #6 of 14

No, no no. The agbay is wonderful! It cuts evenly and is the only way I ever get even layers.

I am referring to when I go to assemble the cake layers with the filling. Like I said, Indydebi told me the problem is that the layers are not lined up correctly so I need to mark them.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:23am
post #7 of 14

Oh, well, if you have three layers after you've cut the cake, put a toothpick in each layer at the same spot. You can do this in several spots to be sure. Line up the toothpicks and the layers are lined up.

DianeLM Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:30am
post #8 of 14

Are you applying your filling evenly? I pipe on 99% of my fillings just to be sure they are perfectly even. Then, I don't have to worry about my Agbay-torted layers lining back up.

Also, after every layer, I lay a board over the cake and PRESS down. This squishes everything together nicely for less uneven settling.

missyd4e Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:32am
post #9 of 14

I have been having this problem too, I thought it was just my inability to layer a cake. Thanks to all for the great info.

miny Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 14

Oh, got it, thanks for clearing it out, I was getting confused, so it's not the layers but the filling! Yes, mark your cake with toothpicks or with a tiny little cut on one side before layering and try to measure your filling well, a 1/4 measuring cup may come handy. HTH

honeypie Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:03pm
post #11 of 14

Hello Lenette

Maybe I can help! If your layers are perfectly even, as they should be using your Agbay, then the next thing to look at is your filling. I know that it is not always easy getting that filling perfectly even especially if you are using fresh fruits (raspberries are the worst!). You don't really need to mark each layer, but you do want to make sure that you've pressed down on it a bit. What I recommend is to take the full, filled cake and pass it the leveler over it again. It'll easily go up to 6" so just even it off and then you'll know for sure that your cake is perfectly level again to ice.
As I always say, if you EVER have any questions or problems, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Happy Torting!

Maureen

Rylan Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:01am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

No, no no. The agbay is wonderful! It cuts evenly and is the only way I ever get even layers.

I am referring to when I go to assemble the cake layers with the filling. Like I said, Indydebi told me the problem is that the layers are not lined up correctly so I need to mark them.

When you use an Agbay, there is no reason to mark them because they are perfectly and surely level. I believe what Indydebi mentions works well when the cakes are not not perfectly torted.

I think the issue is that your filling isn't level.

Rylan Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:01am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

When you use an Agbay, there is no reason to mark them because they are perfectly and surely level. I believe what Indydebi mentions works well when the cakes are not not perfectly torted.

I think the issue is that your filling isn't level.

kkitchen Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:13am
post #14 of 14

Hey Sweetheart Maureen,

I LOVEEEEEEEEEE my Agbay. Thank you so much for being so nice to me. And, the blade cleaners are really saving my fingers..... thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeypie

Hello Lenette

Maybe I can help! If your layers are perfectly even, as they should be using your Agbay, then the next thing to look at is your filling. I know that it is not always easy getting that filling perfectly even especially if you are using fresh fruits (raspberries are the worst!). You don't really need to mark each layer, but you do want to make sure that you've pressed down on it a bit. What I recommend is to take the full, filled cake and pass it the leveler over it again. It'll easily go up to 6" so just even it off and then you'll know for sure that your cake is perfectly level again to ice.
As I always say, if you EVER have any questions or problems, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Happy Torting!

Maureen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%