Nearly A Disaster...

Decorating By ajjhmf Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 1:42pm by ajjhmf

ajjhmf Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 3

I promised my friend a couple weeks ago that I would do a cake for her mom's birthday tonight. I'm a hobbiest and really only do a cake once a month or so. My friend went out town last week and I played phone tag with her all week to finalized the plans on the cake. We make arrangements for her to pick it up today at 6pm on her way to her Mom's. My plan is to bake it Friday morning, torte and crumb coat it before bed and then finish it in the morning before I head off to my son's baseball game.

So, last night as I'm lying in bed drifting off around midnight when it suddenly hits me...I forgot to bake the cake. icon_eek.gif

This cake is going to take at least 2 hours to get out of the oven to cool when I consider preheating, making the batter and baking time. Plus I'd had a glass of wine after the kids went to bed so I was not really up for starting a cake right then. Deciding to get up at 7am and bake it I fall off into one of those not so good sleeps that involves falling cakes and melting icing.

At 8am my 4yo wakes me up. icon_eek.gif

I rush to get the cake in the oven and send my DH off to the baseball game without me and our youngest. Once out of the oven, I head over to cheer for the last 2 innings before a torrential rainfall starts.
I rush home, check on the cake and start making the icing.

Everything takes twice as long as I planned because the air is so humid and nothing is setting up. Finally, I put the final touches on the cake. 15 minutes before my friend came to the door. icon_smile.gif

The cake didn't turn out as well as I had planned, but my friend loved it. Thank goodness I got it done. icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
Lcubed82 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:52am
post #2 of 3

Is the Cornelli Lace cake the one you describe here? It is lovely! Can't imagine more time would have made it any more pretty.

ajjhmf Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 3

Yeah, that's the one. It did turn out well, just a bit too hurried for my liking. Still, nit a bad save consider it was made in less than 12 hours...LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%