Critic My Roses Please

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 3:21am by Rylan

mindy1204 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 18

Here is my first ever attempt at fondant roses. Please let me know what i can do to improve on them.

Sorry about the bad lighting was taken on my cell phone!

Thanks
LL

17 replies
Cakenicing4u Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 18

They look better than mine do! With that said, the only thing I can offer is to add more petals... when you make a rose in BC, it's a 3-5-7 rule on the petals per row, right? So more may be better?

nannie Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 18

I agree. they are lovely as is, but you can also make small buds with just 3 petals and then bigger with 7 petals.

of course that also depends on the look you are trying to achieve icon_cool.gif

Cupcakeluv24 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 18

I agree more petals.

taylorpurcell Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 18

My first fondant rose definitely did not look this good, congratulations, they're so cute!
As said above, it could use more petals, but if you were trying to achieve a rose for a childs cake these are entirely perfect. "]

taylorpurcell Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 18

My first fondant rose definitely did not look this good, congratulations, they're so cute!
As said above, it could use more petals, but if you were trying to achieve a rose for a childs cake these are entirely perfect. "]

jenlg Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 18

I agree, more petals. Maybe ruffle the edges up a bit with the ball tool. Keep up the good work!!!

missyd4e Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 18

Maybe make the center hole a little smaller? They look great!

cylstrial Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 18

They turned out very nice! If you want the outer edges to have a more ruffly look, take the ball tool and run it along the edges (while it's on the foam pad), it will make them a little bit more ruffly.

Pastry-Panda Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 18

Those are really good for a first time much better than my fisrt ones.

I think that I agree with everyone about more petals , thinning the edges and bending them to give them life but I would also suggest not having a hole in the center. When you do the very first petal and wrap it around just close up the hole in the center to make it look like the center of a rose , kinda like a bud.

mindy1204 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:24pm
post #11 of 18

Thank you all. These are going on a baby shower cake if my co-worker agrees. We had originally gone with a much simpler flower but I am going to show her these see what she says.

tonedna Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:30pm
post #12 of 18

I wouuld say let the outer petals open more, thin the edges a bit and ruffle them more.. You are on your way..My first ones were a disaster...lol
Edna icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 18

They're darling. I just made teeny little Duff-style GP roses, because I wanted a more whimsical looking rose. I love the fun looking ones!

grannys3angels Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:31pm
post #14 of 18

Hello Mindy,
I agree, make the bud a little smaller and add more petals. There is another thread ("gunpaste roses how to?"), it has a lot of info about doing fondant/gumpaste roses. Here is the link if you would like to check it out.

EDITED: Sorry, got new pc and I am not use to it yet so some of my reply got delete. I can't remeber what I wrote (comes with aging icon_sad.gif ) but for your 1st time I think you did a very good job!
God Bless,
Sharon

mindy1204 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:32pm
post #15 of 18

I made duff stlye ones too to show my coo-worker, I wil look at those links thank you

tonedna Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:40pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannys3angels

Hello Mindy,
I agree, make the bud a little smaller and add more petals. There is another thread ("gunpaste roses how to?"), it has a lot of info about doing fondant/gumpaste roses. Here is the link if you would like to check it out.

God Bless,
Sharon

Thanks Sharon...you are too sweet!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

grannys3angels Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:59pm
post #17 of 18

icon_redface.gif Thanks Edna, but your video's are off the hook....and you, Win & Kakeladi were so wonderful in helping me.

I could never thank you ladies enough for all your great help with making my roses....so I shall give credit where it is due icon_biggrin.gif I love that I am able to share this info about you ladies with others, who are seeking, tips, info or help when it comes to making roses.

God Bless,
Sharon

Rylan Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:21am
post #18 of 18

It looks nice for a whimsical cake. If you want a realistic looking flowers I would suggest you check out Edna's video on youtube.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%