1/2"foam Board For Cake Drum?

Decorating By Kookie Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 5:44pm by Kookie

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 7

Someone on CC members told about foam boards are 50% off at the hobby lobby and today I got some. Thanks.
I found 1/2" thick and 1/4" at the store.
My question is can I make a cake drum ( a base on the bottom) out of 1/2" foam board for 6", 8",10" and 12" four tiered cake? It too think or just enough thickness?
Thank you.
icon_lol.gif

6 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 7

If you're going to transport the cake fully assembled, I'd suggest adding a masonite board under the 1/2" foamboard. Or, use two layers of 1/2" foamboard. A nice way to add the extra layer is to make the top layer 14" or 15", then the bottom layer 2 or 3 inches larger. Wrap ribbon around both boards.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 7

Im not one of those that would use foam board for the base of my cake.. Maybe only for one simple cake, but not for the bottom of a few tiers cake..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 7

A cake drum made of layered cake boards is, I think, stronger than the foam core.

I mostly use foam core for a board that I can't readily buy, like a square or funny shaped board.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 7

1/2 inch foam core can absolutely be used as a base board for a tiered cake. It's much stronger than a cake drum. It takes superhuman force to bend a piece of 1/2 foamcore--and it's water & grease proof.

I've used it to support a 6,8,10,12 without any problems.

Rae

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 7

I just got back from delivering 2 cakes, both 4 tiers on 1/2" foamcore. Not a wiggle or a wobble...

I have doubled in the past but didn't today. no problems at all. Thank God! icon_smile.gif

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookie

Someone on CC members told about foam boards are 50% off at the hobby lobby and today I got some. Thanks.
I found 1/2" thick and 1/4" at the store.
My question is can I make a cake drum ( a base on the bottom) out of 1/2" foam board for 6", 8",10" and 12" four tiered cake? It too think or just enough thickness?
Thank you.
icon_lol.gif

Now I think one 1/2" would be fine but just in case, I will use two 1/2" boards together.
THANKS ALL.

icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%