**coloring Icecream***

Lounge By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 11:32pm by Bijoudelanuit

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone tried to color ice cream before? I read an article that says you can use kool-aid(or it may have been jello) powder in vanilla ice cream to make 'tie-dye' colored ice cream. I would like to do something like this for my son's bday....any suggestions?

5 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 6

I've never used kool-aid, but I often will add green coloring to my mint chocolate chip ice cream before I freeze it in the machine.... just add the coloring to the liquid ingredients. Or if you're using purchased ice cream you could allow it to melt in the fridge, mix in the coloring and then process it through the machine....

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 6

I don't have an icecream maker, that's why i was wondering about coloring store bought ice cream. Do you use food coloring or gel coloring?

Bijoudelanuit Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 6

I've used both easily...

If you want to use store bought ice cream, would you consider buying multiple flavors and folding them together? I've swirled different homemade flavors after they were frozen by layering them in a hotel pan and then using a large spatula to fold over sections/mix it slightly before putting it back in the freezer to harden.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 6

If you put the icecream into a different container after mixing it, is that the container you will serve out of? OR are you putting it back into the original container?

Bijoudelanuit Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 6

When I make ice cream at home it goes into tupperware/rubbermaid containers for storage in the freezer. I press plastic wrap onto the surface before putting on the air tight lid.

In a working kitchen I would leave it in the hotel pan, tightly wrapped. (Thanks to the walk in freezers/ racks!)

If you prefer to divide it back into the original containers for storage you could... I would still put plastic down on the surface to protect it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%