Help!!!!!!liability Insurance??? Would You Do This?

Business By aimers Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 4:08pm by aimers

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 8

I have a bride that wants me to do a cake. I do not have liability insurance and the venue requires that all of her vendors have it. She is stating that we can get around it if we say it was a "gift". I am at a position that there are no contracts signed nor have tastings been done. Should I back out now or just go with the flow??? Gut is telling me to back out.

I do this out of my home on the side for friends and family but this bride is a referal.

7 replies
chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 8

I wouldnt, because if something happens, your butt could be on the line. Chances are nothing would happen, but you never know, and you could be a nervous wreck waiting to see. And if she's saying it's a "gift" to get around it, what if she doesnt pay? You have no recourse because it's a "gift"

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 8

icon_confused.gif RUN!!!!!

gladysrdz24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gladysrdz24 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 8

i wouldnt do it unless you know the bride very well. we are a licensed bakery and when venues ask for a liability insurance its a bit of a hassle then, so i cant imagine what kind of things they could ask if you are not licensed. everybody is right you never know AND you will be a nervous wreck wondering what is going to happen....

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 8

Most venues in the city where I live require liability insurance on products brought in from outside sources.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 8

Don't do it... plain and simple. They won't let the cake in the doors and she will be out a cake for her wedding. Liability insurance isn't grossly expensive... my policy costs me $300/year for a million dollars in coverage. If you are licensed... get insured and this won't be an issue. There are rules that we all have to follow and if you want to play with the big dogs, you have to follow them too. Tell her that you aren't comfortable trying to skirt the venue's policies and you don't want to risk her not being able to get her cake in the venue come her wedding day.

editted to fix a spelling error... icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 8

Don't do it.

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you everyone. I told her I wasn't comfortable with the idea. I love this site!!! Everyone is so helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%