How To Stop Nfsc Going Soft When Iced?

Decorating By Kez82 Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 3:43am by Evoir

Kez82 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 6

Hi there, My nfsc keep going soft when i decorate with royal icing, why? How do I stop this?

5 replies
JanH Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:24am
post #2 of 6
giraffe11 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:33am
post #3 of 6

I have not found a way to keep them from going soft, even when dried well and put in air-tight containers. I do know that soft cookies will ahrden up again if you leave them out for a while. (As long as you live in a non-humid climate OR have central air.) That doesn't really help with shipping and such though.

JanH Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:03am
post #4 of 6

giraffe11, do you think storage with a dessicant would help:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question206.htm

(Comes in my vitamin bottles, so at least some forms are food safe.)

giraffe11 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:49am
post #5 of 6

Yes, the dessicants probably would help with the problem and little packets of them are available from some of the online baking supply stores, food safe and everything. I haven't tried them.
The only problem would be that they are not an inexpensive option.
It's a good idea though, especially for shipping. Of course at home, it's easier and cheaper to just set them out on the table! icon_smile.gif
I am always hoping that someone on here will have the perfect answer....... icon_smile.gif

Evoir Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:43am
post #6 of 6

Hi...I have experimented with an egg glaze on top of the cookie before baking. It forms a sealed dry surface that prevents a lot of the effect of RI softening the cookie beneath. Because of the appearance, I only use it when I am covering the entire surface of the cookie with RI or fondant etc.

HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%