Does Anyone Have Advice?

Business By EatSomeCake Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 1:55pm by EatSomeCake

EatSomeCake Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone-
I saw this ad below on craigslist posted a few days ago. It's only 11 miles from my house and sounds like it could be a good opportunity. So I e-mailed them back yesterday which was the only way to contact them. I am very excited about the possibility of this working out. Anyways, I thought I would get fellow caker's advice on what to charge, I'm thinking on consignment sounds like a plan because I don't have to feel rushed if I'm on hourly( I have worked in several bakeries over the years so I know how this can be) Is anyone out there involved in this kind of arrangement? It sounds very interesting. Thanks to all for your advice in advance!

Ad on craigslist:
wanted independent baker of cakes and pies perfect at home business or use our bakery on monday and tuesday while we are closed we will pay on consignment or by piece or by hour very flexible just trying to fill the needs of our customers this is an excellent chance to grow a business

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 4

Looks very intriguing just be careful.

(I'm old and jaded so don't mind me)

1.) Sounds too good to be true.

2.) It should say Elvistown 10 C not Massachusetts!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Consignment means you only get paid for what is sold so I would avoid this one--like for cookies and muffins and brownies and stuff like that--maybe sell them by the dozen or by the pan and save yourself the plating--just sell the whole pan.

For decorated cake it's wonderful. Just get booked up and give them a flat fee per month plus a percentage of the base price of each cake is how I've always day dreamed of doing it.

But you gotta be sure they are secure financially. If you get your equipment in there and they go belly up and padlock the door....

Looks very intriguing though just be careful.

playingwithsugar Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 4

First, let me say that I'm a bit leery of it - if they're closed on Sunday and Monday, but need to accommodate customers, why don't they just open on Sunday and Monday, too? If I had a business and needed baked goods on those days, my body would be there, to maintain the same quality I offer the rest of the week.

I've never seen this type of ad before, so the only advice I can give you is to answer the ad and inquire about their terms. If something doesn't sound right, then just say no, thank you.

Let us know what you decide.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

EatSomeCake Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 4

k8memphis-
Those are great tips, I was think consignment would be best over the other options as applied to custom cakes. You're definitely right that anything else would be best by the piece or dozen depending on what it is. They said cakes and pies so pies would definitely be by the piece.

K8memphis and playing with sugar-
I definitely will go into this with caution, I do hope it is legit though. I would love for this to work out esp. since they are offering use of their kitchen (currently I am in the process of kitchen licensing and told them in the e-mail that I would transition to my own kitchen as soon as I could legally, hopefully soon!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%