Should I Just Get Wilton Square Pans?

Decorating By margaretb Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 10:30pm by Momkiksbutt

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 7:59am
post #1 of 20

I want to get some square pans. I have a 50% off coupon for michael's, so I could get the wilton set of square pans for about $30. The least expensive I have found for magic line square pans, including shipping, is around $150. Considering I am just a hobby baker, should I just go for the wiltons, considering I don't get paid for my cakes?

19 replies
dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:10am
post #2 of 20

I would say yes, go for the Wilton pans. If you ever decide to sell cakes later on, you could get the more expensive ones.

SouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthernSugar Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:26am
post #3 of 20

Everyone has to start somwhere and I started with Wilton pans but the square set has its issues, the sides are not straight and the corners are rounded. I did use this set for a while but I had to trim them up quite a bit after baking to get rid of those slanted sides. If you don't mind that then go for it. Their "Decorator Preferred" pans are better as far as straight sides and sharp corners but those do not come in a set, you have to purchase them one at a time. Magic Line is the best as far as square pans but they are pricey!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 20

You could also buy the 1 square pan the you use most often from magic line then save up for others

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 20

Hobby yes. Where are you looking at Magic Line? I got a two 6", two 8", two 10" and two 4" rounds for a little over a hundred bucks a few months ago. From countykitchen or bakers nook, somewhere, I can't remember. Remember, get two of each pan size.

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 20

I've just had issues with the wilton "square" pans. I would not reccomend them to anyone. The sides are slanted, and corners rounded as someone stated above. Just a big hassle and problems with trimming. Why would they even make pans like this, and pretend that you can make a great cake with them?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:22am
post #7 of 20

Guess all my square cakes haven't been 'great' since that is what I use.

Would I love the straight edged pans? Sure but not everyone can get the nice pans locally and by the time you add the costs up for them and tack on shipping and handling some of us do have to consider if it is worth the amount of cakes we do. One day I will probably get them, but right now the Wilton ones have worked fine.

I bought almost all of my basic pan shapes at Michaels using coupons. I started with the sets and filled in the rest with other coupons.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:58am
post #8 of 20

try www.cakepans4less.com I bought my square ones there and they have straight corners and work great. I love them as much as my magic line ones and I think they are afforadable there. I have ordered from that site twice and been happy with the shipping time also.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:14am
post #9 of 20

Parrish pans are Magic Line, one in the same! icon_smile.gif

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:27am
post #10 of 20

I also have the Wilton square set and used coupons to fill in the pans that didn't come in the set. I have trouble with the edges on all square cakes so maybe, just maybe it isn't me, it's the pans!!! No I think it is me, I just need to practice edges some more. princess.gif

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:47am
post #11 of 20

I also have the Wilton square set and used coupons to fill in the pans that didn't come in the set. I have trouble with the edges on all square cakes so maybe, just maybe it isn't me, it's the pans!!! No I think it is me, I just need to practice edges some more. princess.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:08am
post #12 of 20

I switched to Fat Daddio, and Magic Line brand, and I love them. They are much better quality and they resist surface damage more. One thing I can share with everyone about their cake pans, no matter what brand they are, is this:

Never put your pans in the dishwasher.
This ruins the finish(even on non coated pans, which come with a factory "cure" finish). The chemicals in the dishwasher soap, and the rinse agents take that finish off and leave your pans looking "filmy", like they have been frosted or something. Once that finish is gone, the pans will stick more, regardless of the type of non-stick spray you put on them, and they seem to wear out much quicker than they should. The metal itself seems soft and is easy to cut and I have even had them end up with "corrosion spots. One such spot actually went all the way through and left a hole. That reaction only happened to the wilton brand pans.

Overall, I only buy wilton pans if I need a particular shaped or themed cake, or if I'm desparate for a replacement on short notice. The older wilton pans have been relegated to household use and casseroles. Think of wilton pans as "beginner tools", and know that you can upgrade anytime you like and have fantastic results.

I also like the fat daddio feature of the flanged rims, they make the transfer to cooling racks soo much easier! One other thing about Wilton square pans, that I don't care for, is that they do not have true straight sides. They are slightly angled. If you want a truly straight cake, don't use wilton. Like I said, they make good starter pans, but upgrading can't hurt either.

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:17am
post #13 of 20

I'd say use the Wilton, especially since you're a hobby baker. I like sari66's idea too.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:19am
post #14 of 20

I left a magic line pan (9" square) at a relatives house & it apparently was washed in the dishwasher. When she gave my my pan I could have died, it looked like it had been through a fire...streaky & black looking. I haven't used it for a cake yet so I'll just have to see how it works, it sure is ugly.

margaretb Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:36am
post #15 of 20

Thanks for your opinions. I live in a rural area in Alberta. so even micheal's is 250 km (about 200 miles) away. It isn't worth the gas money to make a trip to the city just to use the coupon, so actually, if I don't catch my mom tomorrow before she heads up, I won't be using the coupon anyway. I was set to go for the wilton set, except I didn't realize that the sides aren't straight. I thought the issue was just the rounded corners.

The magic line set I saw was on ebay. The problem with ordering online is that most sites are from the US, so the price listed is 20% higher in Canadian $s, plus the shipping is more, plus you can get hit with customs duties.

I'll have to think about it more. I hate not being able to use my 50% coupon, but I guess I shouldn't buy something just for the sake of using the coupon.

-- Wish I'd heard the dishwasher warning last year when I decided to save time by throwing everything in the dishwasher. Good idea for the tips and bags, bad idea for the pans.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:18pm
post #16 of 20

I got my magic line from a local bakery that sells a small supply of baking supplies for the do-it-yourself person. Maybe you could check out a few in your area & buy them as you need them & save on the shipping, customs, etc.....just an idea.

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:47pm
post #17 of 20

I know how you feel, not wanting a perfectly good coupon to go to waste.

I've been in that "HAVE.Coupon. MUST. Spend" trance too many times in the past...

but have happily broken that evil spell.

Here's my 2 cents...I personally dont like the Wilton pan sets and wouldnt consider it a savings that would benefit me in the long run, coupon or not. For me, it would enable double spending because I wouldnt be satisfied and would want to upgrade. (not downing those that use them, just my personal perference). I have several hobbies & Oh how full my cabinets & closets are from past evil coupon spells & "upgrading". ack! icon_lol.gif

margaretb Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:16pm
post #18 of 20

I was back on ebay, drooling over the pans (say what you will, it's nice to be able to see the price already converted to canadian dollars and shipping specified). I think I will wait and buy the magic line ones. They are expensive, but all the sets I have looked at are still under $200 including the shipping. It's not like they are $500 or $1000 (although if I got EVERY PAN that I want...). If this had been a normally busy summer, I would have ordered them already and just declared them my birthday/Christmas present. Since I don't actually NEED the square pans, I won't get them.

So another question -- if you have only one set, do you have 2 inch tall or 3 inch tall?

So now, what SHOULD I use my coupon for? I don't know if it's funny or sad, but I can walk up and down the cake decorating aisle in my mind!

Momkiksbutt Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:28pm
post #19 of 20

2 inch is really the standard for normal torting and stacking. What you want to shoot for is a perfect 4 inch layer. Using the 2 inch pan lets you torte your layers with more yummy filings and keep the 4 inch height goal.

3 inch pans are great for doing a single filling layer, or for those that like alittle more cake in their layers between fillings. Also good for carved cakes and taller layers.

It's really up to you, and the preferences of your clients. I have the 2 inch pans, but am dreaming of owning a few 3's someday soon.

icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Momkiksbutt Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:30pm
post #20 of 20

site lag--made double post...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%