Need Some Advice :(

Business By yamber82 Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 12:09pm by indydebi

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 4:57am
post #1 of 8

i just did a wedding cake and groom's cake for $375. the wedding cake was really super simple and after it was all done, i was not at all impressed with it icon_sad.gif it is exactly what she asked for but it looks really plain and ugly to me. she didn't complain about it, but i think she was a little disapointed. of course, that could just be my over critical insecure side talking. i know she thought the price was high in the beginning, but i think maybe she was expecting something a little classier and i honestly had planned on it turning out a little better.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1408396

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1408381

she also told me 75 servings. i made a 12" and a 9" not including the top tier which should be a little over 75 servings i think and very little of it got cut. she was kind of upset the the grooms cake didn't get cut at all. of course that had nothing to do with me, but i feel bad that there was sooooo much leftover cake. is the groom's cake generally includied when calculating servings for a wedding?

and lastly, i am not 100% sure i want to post the wedding cake on my site since i think it is so unatractive. i don't want people to think i make ugly cakes. can you guys give me some honest opinions on it?

7 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:10am
post #2 of 8

the wedding cake is pretty plain, but its not ugly, its pretty! i would be putting that on your site. even if the design isnt exciting, it shows the standard of your work really clearly, cause theres no details to confuse the eye or hide any flaws.
i think if you had done anything 'fancy' like more piping on the sides like scrolls and dots, it wouldnt have looked right with the cake.
she wanted something simple, so its what she has gotten. if she was dissapointed, then she has learnt for next time she orders a cake!
if little of the cake gets cut, well, it just happens! if she is upset by that, she should have made sure (or had someone to do it for her) that it was all cut and served.
some people do include the grooms cakes in servings, but it depends, and i think ends up being the couples decision, and a result of the design.
xx

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:19am
post #3 of 8

I don't think this cake is ugly at all. I think it is simple and elegant. I like simple!! I would post it on your website.

As far as all the leftover cake... that is not your fault. Don't be so hard on yourself. You did what the bride requested and you did it well.

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:40am
post #4 of 8

I think the cake is beautiful. The red and blue roses really pop with the simple white cake and the fondant drapes add just enough accent. You may be misreading the bride...weddings are very stressful and she was probably just overwhelmed.

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:41am
post #5 of 8

I think the cake is beautiful. The red and blue roses really pop with the simple white cake and the fondant drapes add just enough accent. You may be misreading the bride...weddings are very stressful and she was probably just overwhelmed.

Manna4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manna4 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:49am
post #6 of 8

I also think the cake is pretty. My only suggestions is that when you consult with a bride you might give her a little bit more of an "experts advise", bacause some people may think they know what they want but they don't (they may just not have a visual ability that would help conceptualise the cake of their dreams). For instance, next time you could have some dummies (of the cakes' sizes) on settalites so that she might see the overall visual impact. Or you could stack some dummies up, so that the bride can have a true idea of scale. I think it is our job to say, "this style cake doesn't work with this number of servings", ask them to bring pictures and as many visual clues as possible, so that you can have a better sense of their style. Show pictures and drawings you have and brainstorm with the bride, that way you can at least minimize the "unsatisfaction" feeling. When in doubt, stay away from cake styles you don't like, the settalite style cakes for exemple, work only (imho) when the table scape is very well done, but you would not have control over this so be sure to ask a bride "how will the table be decorated, will there be lifts, other pretty foods etc?"
About posting on your website...I'd only post it if it is a cake I'd be happy and proud to do another like it again icon_smile.gif
Just remember we are all learning as we go thumbs_up.gif

Manna4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manna4 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:49am
post #7 of 8

I also think the cake is pretty. My only suggestions is that when you consult with a bride you might give her a little bit more of an "experts advise", bacause some people may think they know what they want but they don't (they may just not have a visual ability that would help conceptualise the cake of their dreams). For instance, next time you could have some dummies (of the cakes' sizes) on settalites so that she might see the overall visual impact. Or you could stack some dummies up, so that the bride can have a true idea of scale. I think it is our job to say, "this style cake doesn't work with this number of servings", ask them to bring pictures and as many visual clues as possible, so that you can have a better sense of their style. Show pictures and drawings you have and brainstorm with the bride, that way you can at least minimize the "unsatisfaction" feeling. When in doubt, stay away from cake styles you don't like, the settalite style cakes for exemple, work only (imho) when the table scape is very well done, but you would not have control over this so be sure to ask a bride "how will the table be decorated, will there be lifts, other pretty foods etc?"
About posting on your website...I'd only post it if it is a cake I'd be happy and proud to do another like it again icon_smile.gif
Just remember we are all learning as we go thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:09pm
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%