How Much Does A Half Sheet Serve?

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 12:22pm by indydebi

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 4:35am
post #1 of 4

How much does a half sheet serve? What is the measurments?

3 replies
CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 4:46am
post #2 of 4

what is a half sheet? I'm pretty sure the measurements vary with every single baker... your best bet is to find out how many people you need to feed then make a cake to serve that. Here is wiltons chart.... this is what i always use... or i jsut use the measurments of the pan and do the math to figure out how many it will serve... hth

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 4:52am
post #3 of 4

supposedly 48 servings

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 4

I'm with CakeandDazzle. Stop using the term "half" and "full" sheet. Cake civilians have NO idea how big these cakes are, and as mentioned above, many on here, who live and breath cakes, have no idea. Saw one thread where the CC'er "just decided" to call the 11x15 a half sheet because that was the biggest pan she could get in her oven. huh? icon_confused.gif

For your history education, a commercial bakery full sheet pan is 18x24 (or sometimes 18x26). If you cut it in half, you have two 18x12 .... aka "half" sheets. Cut THOSE in half and you now have four 9x12 .... aka "quarter" sheets.

That's where the terms come from.

To determine number of servings, just do the math. If you're going to cut the cakes in the industry standard 2x2x2 (single layer), then the 12x18 will be cut in 6 rows by 9 columns = 54 servings. If you're going to cut them in 3x2x2, then the 12x18 cake will be cut in 6 rows by 6 columns = 36 servings.

For double layer cakes, the standard serving size is 1x2x4 and you do the math the same way.

Whensomone orders a "half" sheet, I'll either play with their mind by asking them "How big is that?" just so I can hear them say "I have no idea!" (cracks me up that they are ordering something and have NO IDEA what they're ordering!) or I just flat out bypass the question by asking them "how many people do you need to feed?" and then TELL THEM what size cake they need for that many people.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%