Sugar Bottle Video

Sugar Work By kayla1505 Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 1:40am by maitej17

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 4:32am
post #1 of 76

So I made a little video on how to make the beer bottle molds and how to make the sugar bottles and ice. I'm a visual person so I hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

I'm sorry about the quality of the video

Its my 1st time making a video

how to make the molds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hinQva4cZyQ&feature=channel

how to make the sugar bottles and ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjTvSQezy0I&feature=channel

75 replies
Karenreg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenreg Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 7:25am
post #2 of 76

Thanks a lot for taking time out to upload this video,Its been very helpful (for a newbie like me ) in understanding the procedure. Its people like u that make CC wat it is - a problem solver for all queries posted related to cakes thumbs_up.gif

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 8:23am
post #3 of 76

This is most helpful! Visualizing it sure makes it easier to understand and making it.
I was MOST kind of you to take time to make this and share your knowledge .
Thank you, thank you!
And the videos look just great!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 8:47am
post #4 of 76

Great tutorial! I just watched them both. I hope I get to try this sometime soon

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:04am
post #5 of 76

Save

kayla1505 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm
post #6 of 76

you welcome icon_smile.gif I read the original tutorial like 20 times before i had the guts to make it. so this way you can can see its really not so hard icon_smile.gif

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 76

That was just amazing! icon_surprised.gif Thank you for taking time to make the tutorial for those of us who need the visual teaching! I love the ice!

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 76

Thanks so much for the videos! They were very insightful!! I also didn't want to go the route of making the clay mold and was trying to find out if anyone else had a solution for that! You did so great! Now I just have to find myself an assistant to help with the pouring of the sugar!! LOL

Thanks again!
Tanya

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 76

Kayla

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
I have been wanting to try this for so long but was afraid to You just gave me confidence to do this I cant wait Thank You so much for doing this video

Molly thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

miny Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 76

Wow, thanks Kayla, last night I didn't have time to watch the videos so I only saved the thread but now that I saw it I just wanted to say thank you, you did a great job explaining the process, it's very clear. Good job!

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:57pm
post #11 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

(...) I only saved the thread (...)

How do we save a thread????

joknee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joknee Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:22pm
post #12 of 76

That was awesome. Where can I get isomalt (sp ?)
Joan

miny Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 76

You can click on the very bottom of the page under the page numbers it says: "watch this topic for responses" or something like that, just click it and you are done! HTH

kayla1505 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:32pm
post #14 of 76

Joknee you can find isomalt at some health food stores or online. its a sugar substitute

canuelas4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canuelas4 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:39pm
post #15 of 76

thank you so much! that was wonderful

joknee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joknee Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:49pm
post #16 of 76

Thank you!!
Joan

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:54pm
post #17 of 76

OMG Kayla, you're a geniousssss!!!!! I can't thank you enough!!! you made a video wohoooooo!!!! GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!
I'm very visual too and with your video now I know I CAN do it thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
Kayla, thank you, thank you, thank you...I will certainly show you my finish product when I make them...now the other challenge is to make a cake in the shape of a bucket...I'm a begginer you now...well, sort of icon_smile.gif

skatesusy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skatesusy Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:14am
post #18 of 76

I just watched your video - thank you, thank you so much. I did make the mold last year but wasn't pleased with my results - what I didn't know was that I should have done at least 12-15 layers - I think I only did 6 or 7 so when I poured my sugar in, some of the mold bubbled! And the baby powder tip makes so much sense. So viewing both your videos was extremely helpful - it is absolutely brilliant. Thank you for taking the time to provide it to us all!!! You are amazing!

Susy

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:29pm
post #19 of 76

Thank you so much for posting the videos, Kayla. Not being familiar with sugar/candy-making I have had some issues with my attempts at bottles so far, but I believe I now ready to try again! I was having mixed results with my sugar temp and the ice not setting up properly, never getting to the hard stage.

Some tips for others trying this:
1. Make sure your glass measuring cup is large, like the 4 cup one. I tried my first batch with a 2cup, and was not watching close enough and it bubbled over the edge and created a huge sticky pool in the microwave (luckily only on the glass micro plate!)

2. For the ice, if you want cubes instead of chips you can use a silicone ice cube tray - I just found a neat set of 2 at HomeGoods that are perfect little square cubes.

3. Like Kayla, I did not want to mess with making a clay mold. Someone else's post gave me this idea - if you have one of those plunger/push up type measuring cups (like Alton Brown uses on his show for honey, etc.) like this: http://tiny.cc/F0sUT

I took off the outer sleeve and placed my bottle in this. This way, the neck of the bottle sticks out one end, and the flat base of your mold keeps it from falling through. This way, you never have to touch the hot mold with your bare hands or use pot holders - just turn the plastic, which will turn the mold itself.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:30pm
post #20 of 76

thanks very much!

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:46pm
post #21 of 76

Thank you SOOOO Much! I, too am a visual learner and was terrified to try this! But your video was wonderful! I have some questions for you, thought.

At what point do you add the color?

If I get air bubbles, can I tap the mold to losen them? Or will i break the bottle?

What temp should the sugar be?

How much sugar/syrup mixture is needed for a one beer bottle? I want to make sure I make enough to coat the whole bottle. Do you suggest filling the whole mold, instead of lining the walls?

You are awesome!! thanks so much, again!

miny Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:30pm
post #22 of 76

I was also thinking about filling the whole mold with sugar, wouldn't it be easer? But I guess you didn't do it for a reason, what is your opinion on this?

Rosie2 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:01am
post #23 of 76

Well, I think the purpose of making them hollow is so that they go in your cake without pushing cake/bread to the sides...right? although I've never done the bottles so maybe some of the experts can respond.
Good luck!

BigRed500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigRed500 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:05am
post #24 of 76

Thank you very much Kayla! I have always wanted to try sugar bottles, now I have no excuses!
Lisa

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:40am
post #25 of 76

Thank you Kayla for showing us how to do the bottles. I know that took a lot of time and I appreciate it SO MUCH!! I am also wondering if the molds can just be filled solid, I know they would be kinda heavy and may require some support to put into the cake but hmmmm......

Would you say it took about 2 days to get the molds made for the bottles? I am looking to make martini glasses or wine glasses, any thoughts on how I would go about that?

thank you again for sharing the tutorials!!

ginger

kayla1505 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:02pm
post #26 of 76

Hey everyone I'm sorry I haven't responded. I lost my cell at the beach and that's where I get all my cakecentral emails icon_sad.gif

If you guys want ice cubes I would definitely use silicone ice cube tray like superwawa suggested. A few months ago I experimented with regular ice cube trays and what a disaster that was. It burned a holes into the bottom of the tray and I had a huge sugar mess on my counter.

I add the color right before I pour it into the mold.

My mom pours it slowly in for me as I rotate the mold so I've never gotten air bubbles. If you keep rotating slowly till it sets up I dont think you will get air bubbles.

The sugar needs to be at hard crack stage , which is around 300-310* F. If you don't reach that temp the bottle will never harden. I live in south florida so I always cook it a little longer till around 320 since its so humid here.

To make one bottle I use 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of corn syrup.

I think if you wanted to you could fill the whole mold with sugar, but it would take a really long time for it to harden and cool. And it would be really heavy. I think if you tried to put it in the cake it would be too heavy and it would tear the cake and it probably wouldn't be as stable when you are delivering it or moving it. When its hollow you could just push it into the cake and it stays there.

When I put the bottles into my cousins cake I put a dowel inside each bottle to hold the bottle in place. you wouldn't be able to do that if the bottle was solid.

It took me about 1 day to make the mold because I was using a fan to help with the drying time. If you don't have a fan I guess it would take maybe 2 days.

Gingersoave I image that making a martini glass would be the same process as making the beer bottle mold. But I think when you fill it with sugar it should be solid instead of hollow because it might be difficult to rotate and unmold something so thin and delicate.

I hope you post pictures icon_smile.gif

Rosie2 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:33pm
post #27 of 76

Kayla, you're tha' best!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Steve-AngelCityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steve-AngelCityCakes Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:14am
post #28 of 76

Great videos Kayla!!! On my first beer bottle cake shown here I used full bottles and stuck them into the cake also. On the next one I'm doing I'm going to use shorter bottles and actually try gluing them down along with the sugar ice to a cake board, by pouring more mixture around the base of the bottles once I have them in position, so when it comes time to cut the cake, they can just pick up one of the bottles and the whole cake board along with the ice and bottles will come up and off. I've seen this done before and it really looks like the ice and bottles are coming out of the cake just like the full bottles look. The difference is that there is no worry about the bottles falling over or breaking the cake. In order to make the half or 3/4 bottles, I made a hole in a box tight enough for the bottle to squeeze into. I then put wax paper over the hole and cut a smaller hole out of the wax paper and taped it down. Then I inserted the bottle down to as short as I wanted it, and started applying the latex mold builder. Here's a couple of pictures of what I mean. Thanks again Kayla for your great videos!!!! Now let's sell some cakes. Steve
LL
LL
LL

Steve-AngelCityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steve-AngelCityCakes Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:35am
post #29 of 76

gingersoave, I want to make martini and wine glasses also, but I'm afraid that once the mold dries that the skinny part from the stem won't stretch enough to get it off over the top of the glass or the base. The mold will basically be stuck on the glass. The only thing I can think of is to use those plastic party martini glasses, you know the ones that the base come off? Leave the base off and only build the mold over the top and stem. When it's dry, it should slip off from the top down. You now have a martini glass without a base. Sorry, that's about as far as I have thought about this. I hope it got someone thinking about how we can do this. Steve

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 6:28pm
post #30 of 76

Is anyone else having trouble getting the mold thick enough? I've put 10-12 layers on and its still slightly see through. Should I put more latex on each layer?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%