Sugar Bottle Video

Sugar Work By kayla1505 Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 1:40am by maitej17

Steve-AngelCityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steve-AngelCityCakes Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 9:02pm
post #31 of 76

mackeymom, The first mold I made I used 12 layers and it came out great and I am still using it. I have been making a new mold and already have 12 layers on it and it still doesn't look as thick as the first. I can still see the Corona label easily on the bottle as each layer dries. So I got my first mold and put it up to another Corona bottle to see if I could see the label easily and I could, so I guess I could take the mold off, but you know what? I'm going to put a few more layers on instead, just to be safe rather than sorry. This is actually my third mold because I took my 2nd mold off before it was thick enough and also it didn't seem to be completely dried underneath. When I took it off it completely wrinkled up "like a frightened turtle", if you catch my drift. Here is a picture of the mold I am doing right now and I am not sure it's thick enough yet. Okay, well CC keeps sending errors when I try to load my picture so I can't attach it. sorry.

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:01pm
post #32 of 76

Thanks Steve! The video tutorial showed (what looked like) a super thick mold! And I've used about half of my mold builder and I can still see the bottle. So I was worried I wasn't putting the latex on thick enough.

Has any tried this with clay? I saw it at the store and was wondering who hard that method would be.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 4:53pm
post #33 of 76

Thank you Steve for sharing your experience in making the mold. I haven't gotten around to make one, but I will soon and I will also report in this thread.

BTW Steve, the pics from your previous message are gone...or, I can't see them.

Steve-AngelCityCakes Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 5:55pm
post #34 of 76

Thanks Rosie, you're righ, instead of the pictures I just see and "x", but if you click on the "x" it should open the picures in another window. CC seems to be having trouble with pictures on their site lately. At least with my pictures. Actually, I'm not sure if it's the site or my Norton Internet Security that's creating the problem. I keep getting error messages from CC when I try to post a picture. icon_cry.gif

Rosie2 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:31pm
post #35 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-AngelCityCakes

Thanks Rosie, you're righ, instead of the pictures I just see and "x", but if you click on the "x" it should open the picures in another window

Ahhhh you're right, thank you. I guess it's a CC glitch because I noticed that some of my pics also show an x now...

Steve-AngelCityCakes Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:00am
post #36 of 76

OMG I just saw my misspelled words. I need to take my time when typing, lol

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:14am
post #37 of 76

thank you kayla. for going out of your way to show us all how to make beer bottles. icon_lol.gif

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:17am
post #38 of 76

thank you Kayla for showing us how to make beer battles. icon_lol.gif

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:51pm
post #39 of 76

steve the half bottles are a great idea, it would be easier to cut the cake that way. icon_smile.gif

Steve-AngelCityCakes Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:25am
post #40 of 76

Thanks Kayla, I just got an order today for this Saturday. I can't wait to try my new half bottle mold. I was going to attach a photo of my new half mold (really it's about 3/4 size) but I guess I can't add photos to the forum anymore. You are the best Kayla for making the videos. Everybody who asks how to make the bottles I send them to your videos. It's too bad you can't get paid everytime they watch them. Good health and success, Steve

bigislandstyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigislandstyle Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:34am
post #41 of 76

Thank you so much for your video. I can't wait to try it. Have you ever made a wine bottle mold? on another note; if you make yourself a bean bag (fill it w/flax seed, it won't go bad) when you don't have a helper, use it on a box to hold your video camera. keep up the great work and thanks again.

bigislandstyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigislandstyle Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:34am
post #42 of 76

Thank you so much for your video. I can't wait to try it. Have you ever made a wine bottle mold? on another note; if you make yourself a bean bag (fill it w/flax seed, it won't go bad) when you don't have a helper, use it on a box to hold your video camera. keep up the great work and thanks again.

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 10:21am
post #43 of 76

Steve, I made the martini mold! I used the plastice ones and just did the base separately. I had to turn the glass upside down to do the mold because as you said you can't pull the stem over the top of the glass. It worked! But I have only filled the stem of the glass and I ran out of sugar so I need to play with it some more, the bottom turned out great but I need to figure a way to attach the bottom to the base, very tricky. The glass with the stem could just be stuck into the cake maybe????

I plan to do a half wine bottle since I do so many wine crate cakes. I will be starting that today, has anyone done a half bottle, with that I mean on the side, not like what steve showed us??? Do you think it will collapse?

I'll play more with the martini glass and get back to you all!

here is my finished beer bottle cake I did last week, thanks again to Kayla for all her wonderful help!

ginger
oops, could not upload but it's in my photos here or on my web site: www.notjustcake.piczo.com

Steve-AngelCityCakes Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:29pm
post #44 of 76

Ginger, thank you so much for sharing with us. It's people like you and Kayla that make Cake Central so great.

I was watching Amazing Wedding Cakes just last night and one of the girls love to work with sugar art. In order to attach pieces of sugar art to another she uses a heat source to soften the end of the part she want to connect. For the martini glass I would probably heat either the center of the base where the stem will connect to or even better heat the end of the stem itself, of course being careful not to misshape the piece by overheating it. It looks like a quick touch from a fireplace lighter and then placing it immediately to the base would work. Good Luck Ginger and let us know how it works.

I had a hard time understanding what you meant about a half wine bottle, but after reading it a few times I think I understand that you are wondering if the cake mold itself will collapse, is that correct? There is a product I saw online called Amazing Mold Putty which creates a nice thick mold that won't collapse, my only concern is it's very pricey. $58 for 3 lbs. Amazing Mold Putty has their own website by that name that you can check out. I think I would rather use the Mold Builder that we use for the beer bottles and make a clay support to keep it from collapsing.

Cake Central seems to be having a lot of server issues, so they are not allowing us to post pictures when replying in the forums anymore. I think they have just outgrown their server.

Your cakes are the bomb Ginger. Please keep us posted

Steve

gingersoave Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 7:55pm
post #45 of 76

Great idea on the heating of the sugar to attach the martini top to the bottom, gonna try it soon and will get back to everyone!!

Actually on the half wine bottle I was talking about doing the mold builder and then putting the sugar in there just like the beer bottle, my concern was that since the wine bottles are so large the mold will be extremely flimsey and may collapse while I'm pouring the sugar but the clay mold stuff should work okay and I plan to try it at some point, right now I just mold the fondant/gumpaste blend on the bottle and let it dry and then decorate it. But the "glass" look would me SO much better!!!!!

Thanks for all the info, I'll be in touch!

ginger
www.notjustcake.piczo.com

cakeguru16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeguru16 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:48am
post #46 of 76

i dont really know where any health food stores are and i want to avoid ordering from online, do i have any other options?!

cakeguru16 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:49am
post #47 of 76

i dont really know where any health food stores are and i want to avoid ordering from online, do i have any other options?!

cakeguru16 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:50am
post #48 of 76

cakeguru16 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:09am
post #49 of 76

for the isomalt; i dont really know where there is any health food stores around were i live, and i want to avoid ordering it offline. do i have any other options?
and where do i buy glucose, and the stuff to make the mold?
if im using two bottles how much mold will i need?
and how expensive is isomalt?

sorry for bombarding you with lots of questions!!!

thanks so much...
ohh and btw you videos are amazing icon_smile.gif

cakeguru16 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:10am
post #50 of 76

for the isomalt; i dont really know where there is any health food stores around were i live, and i want to avoid ordering it offline. do i have any other options?

thanks so much...

cakeguru16 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:11am
post #51 of 76

thanks so much...

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:07pm
post #52 of 76

So I figured out what was going wrong for my bottle. The jar of mold builder I got from Micheal's was bad! When I painted it on the beer bottle, the mold builder was runny like water. It would drip right off! So I had to leave it alone for a few days, and I went and bought another jar of mold builder. Wll this second jar was good! It was thick like painte and worked amazing!

And I almost burned my apt building down.... I was going by Kalya's directions to melt in the microwave for three minutes... well that is for a two cup sugar/corn syrup mixature.... and I was doing a half cup mixture! So I burned the sugar, and the microwave was smoking! That was my cue to stop work and go to bed.!

I didn't even try to get the black rock hard mixture out of the measuring sup. I just threw it away and bought another one!

Sheesh! I think I am on the right track now! Thank's again Kayla and Steve!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:55am
post #53 of 76

Thanks for posting this. That was very sweet and kind of you to do.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:28pm
post #54 of 76

Thanks for posting the viodeo; very interesting!

I'm planning on trying to make a mold and cast some isomalt. Some of the sources I see online say to coat your mold with Pam spray or oil before you fill it. BUt I did not see you do that in the video, and I'm thinking it woiuld make the surface of the finished piece cloudy rather than nice and shiny.

Do you coat the mold, or just use it "dry"?

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 4:24am
post #55 of 76

Thank you so much for the videos. I just had a customer ask me to do this and I had no idea where to start. You guys are so wonderful and willing to share your knowledge. I think its so kind of you all. Now I know what to do for my customer and its all because of you guys here on CC. Thanks a million, seriously.

Steve-AngelCityCakes Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:19am
post #56 of 76

Kayla, I made my second beer bottle cake this weekend and used the half bottles I made. It worked like a charm. After making the bottles and ice and attached the labels on the bottles, I formed a round circle with aluminum bringing up the sides all around about an inch in height. The cake was 10" so I made the circle 8". Then I made more sugar mixture, five minutes at half power and then 50 seconds at full power in the microwave, this way it came out clear. I then poured the mixture into the circle of foil and then as it started to cool I put in each bottle, then I covered the rest of the space around the bottles by putting in the sugar ice. When it all cooled down, the bottles and ice were all connected. when the cake was ready I just put the bottles right on top of the cake (I did make a one inch well on the top of the cake so the bottles actually sat in the well) Then I added some more ice and Viola it looked like it was coming out of the cake. I did put dowels in the cake to support the weight. the only bummer was that when I removed the bottles from the foil half of the foil was stuck to the bottom so I had to leave it on. I am going to make a latex mold for the circle so next time it will be easier to remove. Check out my latest Beer Bottle Cake in my pictures and you'll see the finished product. Steve-angelcitycakes

gingersoave Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 10:45am
post #57 of 76

NICE STEVE! I found that when i want the sugar to be white i have used a jar that is skinny and the sugar doesnt turn as yellow, maybe a larger container, like a measuring glass, cooks the mixture too much and turns it yellow, so I use the smaller skinny jar and only cook it to 275 rather than 300 and it stays white instead of yellow. I also bought the brownie silicone square that has like 20 or so little squares and then I pop the sugar out right before it hardens and I kinda push down in the middle and it looks cracked when it dries like ice.... Does that all make sense? Can't find Isomalt around here unless i order online and pay for pounds of it, which I don't need that much.......

great cake! I'm going to work on my martini glass this week and will post the results (maybe!!) I am also going to make a half wine bottle (wine bottle on its side) for my wine crate cakes, that will be kinda cool, hope it works, I'll keep everyone posted.....

ginger
www.notjustcake.piczo.com

Rosie2 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:39pm
post #58 of 76

Steve, awesome cake!!! you did an excellent job...I totally love the bottles, the lime, the salt shaker, everything!! I'm sure it was a lot of work.
Quick question...how did you manage to give the bottles a 'full' look? it looks like they are full of beer, very clever!! thumbs_up.gif
Congratulations, I'm sure the cake was a total hit!!

Steve-AngelCityCakes Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:48pm
post #59 of 76

Ginger, thank you for your compliment!!! I will try your advice of using a smaller thinner jar the next time I make the ice, it makes sense. I have been using that thick measuring jar up until now. I also use the brownie squares, they are so perfect for making the ice. Here's something you might like. I found that when you rub the ice, after it's hard, with water the foggyness goes away and the ice becomes completely clear like real ice. The only problem is that they become very sticky. Well, if you spray them lightly with Bakers Joy or Bake Easy they lose most of the stickyness, then you can remove most of the Bakers Joy by rubbing it with a cloth and you will have beautiful clear ice that people can actually pick up. I didn't end up doing it for this ice because we were in a rush to assemble the cake for pick up. I even sprayed the bottles and they lost their stickyness. Sharing our experiences and knowledge will make us all better at what we do, I love it!!!! Thanks Ginger
Rosie, Thank you so much!!!! In order to give the bottles that realistic look I first poured clear mixture into the mold about 1 1/2 inch, I then used the rest of the clear mixture to pour into the brownie mold for the ice. After the mixture cooled in the mold I then made the darker mixture and poured it into the mold the usual way, spinning it to coat the sides. When you remove the mold Viola, it's two toned. My next bottles will be even better as Ginger just showed me how to make clearer mixture.

Rosie2 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:59pm
post #60 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-AngelCityCakes

Rosie, Thank you so much!!!! In order to give the bottles that realistic look I first poured clear mixture into the mold about 1 1/2 inch, I then used the rest of the clear mixture to pour into the brownie mold for the ice. After the mixture cooled in the mold I then made the darker mixture and poured it into the mold the usual way, spinning it to coat the sides. When you remove the mold Viola, it's two toned. My next bottles will be even better as Ginger just showed me how to make clearer mixture.

Steve, thank you very much for answering my question. It makes total sense! icon_smile.gif
BTW, your bottles/cakes are already perfect thumbs_up.gif
Thank you again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%