Favorite Color Combos?

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 1:06am by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 4:02am
post #1 of 18

I'm thinking about one of my cakes for the ICES convention and am not having trouble picking the two colors I want to use for it. The design, if I can pull it off will have a lot of piping on it. I originally thought about doing gold and blue with a luster dust over it. The only problem is that I will end up having to do a lot of painting over the pipings and I am afraid I will 'color outside the lines' and end up messing up the fondant and pipings. Some of the tiers would be one color with the other color piped on it, then some will be the second color with the first color piped on it.

A friend suggested royal blue and yellow instead of the sapphire blue and gold. But since I'm also doing another cake that will have those two colors in it makes me lean towards another set of colors. Then I think black and white. It is classic right? But is it over used?

And now I just have color after color flowing through my head...

So I'm hear asking everyone, what is/are your favorite two color combination? Care to share?

17 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:34am
post #2 of 18

I like black and white. Oh no, I LOVE black and white.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:36am
post #3 of 18

No black & white. You did that in Omaha remember? What about yellows & oranges. or oranges & pinks? Can't wait to see the cakes!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:43am
post #4 of 18

Purple and orange. If you do an orange cake with purple decoration it is very fun. However, if you reverse it, it can become very elegant. Every time I choose that combination, I want to say no.But when I'm done I'm surprised at how nice it is. And they are the same distance on the color wheel as blue and yellow.

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:58am
post #5 of 18

yes the colour wheel, i think i read somwhere that you shouldnt use direct opposits, instead you can put together complimentary opposites, ie instead of doing blue/yellow, orange/purple, it should be blue/orange and yellow purple, either way, i love both combinations!! lol, anyhoo, how about doing black and white and adding a really nice burst of fuschia??

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 7:11am
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

Purple and orange. If you do an orange cake with purple decoration it is very fun. However, if you reverse it, it can become very elegant. Every time I choose that combination, I want to say no.But when I'm done I'm surprised at how nice it is. And they are the same distance on the color wheel as blue and yellow.

Do you have any pics to show us?? Would love to see those colours together!

I love black and white!

TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:04am
post #7 of 18

Oh TC! But, but, but... This would be a totally different looking cake. HeHe.

Yellow and orange will be used on another cake, a sun and moon design. Which is why I think I am going to avoid the blue and yellow too. Pink and orange... Hmm...

I'm avoiding purple since the cake will be under florescent lights for 4 days. Well I'm assuming the resort has florescent lights. I'm not willing to chance it if they do.

I'm glad I'm not the only black and white lover. icon_smile.gif I'll probably end up going that way in the end, just cause it is an easy decision. I really want this cake to look elegant and I'm afraid if I get too bright in the colors that will change it.

Sometimes I hate having too many options when it comes to cake designs.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:05am
post #8 of 18

light green and pink

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:17am
post #9 of 18

I know too many things to chose from. I want to do some cakes for OSSAS but I can't even begin with a size much less the colors~ icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:10am
post #10 of 18

I'm considering the OSSAS myself. I almost had myself talked into it last year but because I would have to compete in the semi pro category I got freaked out.

I started out with 3 ideas for the convention, then added and subtracted. I still have two ideas that I'm not using that I really want to do sometime.

I made the mistake of telling my nephew, who has been taking the Wilton classes, that they have a kid's section. He wants to do a cake for it and keeps asking me if I am gonna go and when I will know.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:08am
post #11 of 18

I like black and pink and black,red,white

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:56pm
post #12 of 18

I like Brown and Pink

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:38pm
post #13 of 18

I have always loved green and purple. Bright or pastel, doesn't matter.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 18

how about Plum and Silver? It's very elegant and Plum is the new black, so that wedding site I go to says hehe

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:06pm
post #15 of 18

How about red with gold piping?

Black and white is always gorgeous too!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:19pm
post #16 of 18

I love white and black. Black and pink. Brown and pink. Brown and aqua. And I think AKA has a great idea with the plum and silver. It sounds gorgeous!

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:32pm
post #17 of 18

What about red and gold....could be very elegant.

TexasSugar Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:06am
post #18 of 18

I'm doing another cake with red and white. I also have another one that is brown with blue and teal. Right now I'm planning on doing 4 cakes total, though I have no idea why I want to do that many!

If I was going to go with the gold, I'd go with the blue and gold, but like I said I want to do a lot of piping and I really can't see myself painting back over it to make it all pretty gold. Silver would be the same issue.

I was kinda thinking the pink and black, but I'm not sure about the fading issues with pink. I know that it will fade to white over time, just not sure if it is as bad as purple under florescent lights.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%