Question

Decorating By sarahmarieh Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 12:24am by narfletta

sarahmarieh Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:10am
post #1 of 19

hi i was thinking about joining a cake decorating website and i was wondering if someone might be able to give me some feedback
on it . is it worth it or not? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
the site is yummy arts net

18 replies
Rylan Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:19am
post #2 of 19

Welcome to CC!

I like CakeCentral.

dsilvest Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:31am
post #3 of 19

Between Cake Central (free) and various sites like You Tube (free) you can get tons of useful info and videos. I don't know if you really need to spend the money to join. I have not been that impressed with the free videos that Yummy Arts have sent. Usually I can look at a picture and figure out how it was done.

cashley Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:49am
post #4 of 19

Can't see to pay for something that you can get for free. Cakecentral is great and has lots of talented people to help.

sarahmarieh Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 4:46am
post #5 of 19

i guess in the end its all designed to get our money ala global sugar art isnt it?.
thanks for the feedback so far I appreciate it!

TexasSugar Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:09am
post #6 of 19

How is this website designed to give money to Global Sugar Art? Am I missing something? I've been a member of this site for years and have yet to buy anything from Global Sugar Art.

Maybe you need to take some time to look around and decide if this is the place for you or not. There is a great wealth of information here that has nothing to do with Global Sugar Art.

If I were considering joining a pay site (and why pay for what you can get free?) I wouldn't join one that didn't have a free so many days try it out period. If you can't see anything at all before you join, how do you even know they have good information there?

sarahmarieh Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:34am
post #7 of 19

just watch this for a moment.. global sugar art (no url )
now watch this... www.yummyarts.net (url)
which one can you click on??
i think that there are tons and tons of good people here on this forum sharing their expertise. And i thank you all so much for the great advice.
but the runners of this forum dont really seem to be unbiased. when they "block" all other web sites and strongly promote their own store.im confused ..in a forum your at least supposed to have the freedom to choose so does anybody have any positive feedback for yummy arts net so i can make an intelligent decision?

sarahmarieh Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 5:47am
post #8 of 19

jeez why getting so upset?? i mean granted this site has great information and again i thank all posters for that. in a public forum however websites shouldnt be blocked while this global sugar art site gets its own top forum. what freedom is that??? just feels biased like a big one sided commercial and it shouldnt be that way.

all4cake Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 6:10am
post #9 of 19

The way I see it, it's THEIR forum and they can do with it what they wish...we've been extended the privilege of becoming a member at no cost and at our own free will. That statement was not said in anger...just matter-of-factly btw

FlourPots Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 6:20am
post #10 of 19

This is the way is was explained in a recent thread...

A bunch of CC members posted about their experience(s) with the blocked site...terrible customer service, etc. The owner's of the site were very upset and filed legal action, or threatened to (not sure)...apparently they were quite rude and called CCers some ugly names during this period.
Anyway, as part of the "settlement" they wanted their site's name blocked from any future postings.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 6:27am
post #11 of 19

Well, we're hangin' out for free in their shop. Of course there has to be some profit somewhere. Otherwise this might be a black and white government site with nothing on it. People are free to go where they want. But, you posted on CC. So, of course we like CC or we wouldn't be here. I'm sure there are plenty of people for whom this format doesn't work. There are lots of other reputable sites. But they are all in it to make money. Here you see GlobalSugarArt in big blue letters. There, you pay $14.95 to join and they'll sell something else. Join both. You can have the best of CC and the best of the pay site. It's win/win for you.

mandyloo Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 6:38am
post #12 of 19

Just out of curiosity, are you perhaps from yummy arts? A member, a moderator...? This thread just struck me as..odd, I guess.

idgalpal Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:04pm
post #13 of 19

I never realized CC was "connected" to GSA, but I don't care! I love this place and I have bought things from GSA and from other sources as well. This site has sooo many helpful people, great tips, forums, pictures, etc., etc., etc.
I learn something new every day~

idgalpal Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:04pm
post #14 of 19

I never realized CC was "connected" to GSA, but I don't care! I love this place and I have bought things from GSA and from other sources as well. This site has sooo many helpful people, great tips, forums, pictures, etc., etc., etc.
I learn something new every day~

woodruffbn Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:49pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmarieh

just watch this for a moment.. (no url )
now watch this... www..net (url)
i think that there are tons and tons of good people here on this forum sharing their expertise. And i thank you all so much for the great advice.
but the runners of this forum dont really seem to be unbiased. when they "block" all other web sites and strongly promote their own store.im confused ..in a forum your at least supposed to have the freedom to choose so does anybody have any positive feedback for yummy arts net so i can make an intelligent decision?

Don't take this the wrong way, BC I have never been to that site and therefore have no feedback. But, I would think if there is no one giving you positive feedback for yummy arts, then that in it's self should probably give you enough info to make that intelligent decision about whether or not to join.

Kitagrl Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:52pm
post #16 of 19

Global Sugar Art helps keep Cake Central free for all of us. I don't mind so much. And Global Sugar Art has the most awesome customer service, so that's a good thing too! I have made several orders through them in the past few months. They are always prompt and helpful.

And this website is awesome in and of itself!

bbmom Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:56pm
post #17 of 19

I never heard of yummy arts, nor have I bought or been asked to buy or received any e-mails to buy anything from Global Sugar art...seems like someone who just joined yesterday and is trying to stir someting up.
I cant imagine needing to pay for a cake decorating site when this one is absolutely the best I've found and its free. JMHO

varika Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:02am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmarieh

just watch this for a moment.. (no url )
now watch this... www..net (url)

Actually, you all of your "freedom to choose" is still perfectly intact. You can choose to stay here and follow the rules, or you can choose to go elsewhere.

It sounds to me like you don't want to "make an intelligent decision," you want people to validate your decision to join this yummy arts place. In my opinion, if you need to have your decision validated that way, it indicates that just maybe you think it's a bad decision and you should get out of it.

narfletta Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:24am
post #19 of 19

Cake Central is an amazing website and the web designers bust their butts keeping it up. I can't even afford classes @ Michael's right now, and am THRILLED for all of the help and advice I have received from this website @ no cost.... and it's because people truly love the art of baking/creating wonderful cakes and have no qualms about sharing their expertise even with novices such as myself...

If Global Sugar Art sponsors this website, then who cares if we order from them??? No one is coming through the computer to grab your credit card and add items to a shopping list... I vote that we end this topic b/c it has received way too much attention anyway...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%