Whipped Icing

Decorating By Kiki74 Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 12:33pm by Kiki74

Kiki74 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:01am
post #1 of 4

I'm making a cake for tomorrow for coworker's son. She doesn't like buttercream and has asked for whipped icing. The recipe I have needed to be quadrupled to even make enough and it's lumpy. I started to ice the cake and I saw all these little yellow lumps. They are all through it. I had to scrape it all off. I am devastated. I have until tomorrow morning to ice and decorate this cake plus another for the afternoon and nothing is going right for me. icon_mad.gif I was so careful while cooking the milk and flour and it's still lumpy. I also can't seem to get the consistency thick enough. It's so frustrating. I sent my DH to the store to get the ingredients for another recipe and now have to start all over. I was going to try Rich's bettercream but it is so expensive from our local cake supply that I wouldn't even make a profit. Not to mention they are now closed and no longer an option. I searched in the recipe section and can't seem to find what I am looking for. I know it won't help me this time but does anyone have a fool proof recipe for this type of icing I can use in future or advice on what i can try? Sorry so long!

Thanks for the help!

3 replies
Lady_Phoenix Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:13am
post #2 of 4

Could the yellow lumps have been butter? If so, let it sit at room temp a while and it will soften, then beat the heck out of it!

My family does not like buttercream either. I make their cakes with either IMBC or SMBC and they adore both. Much less sweet than american butter creams

Kiki74 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you for responding. I'll look for those recipes in the our recipe section and give them a try.

Kiki74 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for responding. I'll look for those recipes in the our recipe section and give them a try. I tried a recipe that just called for pudding mix and dream whip and couldn't get the right consistency. I added PS and flour and just kept beating. It had a good flavor but was an off white color. This morning when I checked on the cake it had developed moisture and the sprinkles that her son asked for ran. Now parts of it look tie-died. After all the work and frustration I'll end up having to give it away. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%